Paint problen on 488 GTS bicolor | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Paint problen on 488 GTS bicolor

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Kregu, Mar 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Sorry to see this :( I do believe its a leaching of the main paint colour or the undercoat. Or they have buffed the corners way way too much that the previous coats can be seen.

I would hate a respray on a new car BUT provided they do all the black again you shouldn't have an issue as there will be no colour matching issues.

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Everything about those images point to a humidity issue in the clear coat during the paint process. There is no way that what you are seeing is base colour leeching through the black. A situation like that is almost impossible regardless of how sloppy you are and would have been immediately visible. It does not just appear over time. Hazing like this does appear over time on clear coats that have trapped humidity in them.

3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think the milky colour is in the lacquer or clear coat as someone said, you often see it in very old cars when they have been left in the sun for years, I don’t know why it should happen in your case but I have seen similar but not as bad on a nearly new Ferrari before. I am sure they will sort it out well for you.

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Your comments can also be true as I have also seen this. The only way to prove your point is to cut all the clear and go to the base coat and see if there is black

Nuvolari likes this.
  5. SH488

SH488 Karting

Nov 11, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Sam H
    At first when i saw the hazy paint i figured it could've been something like a mineral deposit from the car being dripped on or something, but now i'm more thinking it could either have been if you had the car detailed or something and the paint got screwed up or somehow the paint had some chemical reaction to some cleaning solution etc. - Not sure.

I hope it all gets sorted out for you, I'm sure it will!

6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I hope you had your attorney speak with the dealer before you gave in. No way should you have paid for it.

7. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    Did you have anyone "correct" the paint or otherwise use an electric buffer on your car after you took delivery on the car? If so, the clear coat may have been compromised, allowing water intrusion into the base paint.

8. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    When I got the car mid November, it was not immatriculated yet and the dealer himself drove the car to my garage with temporary plates. And the the car was parked till last week in the garage! I drove it for the first time last week an noticed the paint problem.
    Nothing was done with the car when it was parked in the garage.

9. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    BTW here is the answer from Todd:

"I hate to say, but I have not seen this in Ferrari paint, either. Just from the photos, it definitely looks like some kind of chemical reaction, but it’s really hard to say what could cause that.

There’s no way to tell if that can be fixed without somebody trying to polish it out. If it’s just surface staining of some sort, then it could most likely be fixed. But if this is deep into the clear coat, chances are very slim that anything can be done with it without repainting.

If nothing has been applied to the finish to potentially cause this, I would recommend that you push your dealer for warranty repair. If you have somebody else (a detailer for instance) try to fix it, and nothing works, then they could come back and claim that it was something that was done by the detailer.

I wish I had better advice for you on this one!

Best regards,"

ScottS, Napoli and of2worlds like this.
  10. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Did you get any resolution to this ? I have a similar issue, it is a blooming, in the clear coat in my view , with no external damage.

11. rossocorsa

rossocorsa Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Saw exactly the same thing on a black GTB this year,was on the base of the roof pillars, car had been stored outside all winter, in the UK.

12. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    This does not say strong things about Ferrari paint if simply leaving the car outside can cause the paint to leach like this. One can leave any car outside for the whole winter and the paint should not do this. Overall clear coat haze from sun exposure is possible but that would be over years of oxidation. This is clearly a paint application failure of some type.

13. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    The painter who repainted my car through my ferrari dealer said to me that this happened because the black paint was put to fast on the undercoat which was not 100% dry at that moment. As ferrari decided to produce more cars nowadays during one year as they did before, issues like this can and will happen more often now... he said with a smiling face. Because in this case, he will have more and more paint job to do for ferrari;)

of2worlds likes this.