Big news for Road Atlanta in 2018! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Big news for Road Atlanta in 2018!

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Sep 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    Friday for me and a friend of mine.

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Friday all day for me.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I've been told that the cars will be in the inner paddock at the bottom of the hill. Since there are no structures there like the F1 garages at COTA, I suspect that Ferrari will erect a fairly large prefab garage building that, at first blush, will look quite permanent. Consider the "showroom" building that they erected at the Finali Mondiali event at Daytona a couple of years ago, or the elaborate hospitality chalets that Audi, Porsche and AMG have put up at the Petit Le Mans in recent years. It was hard to believe that those chalets were temporary buildings!

And consider the fact that tomorrow morning, the temperature will be just above freezing. The mechanics and drivers need to prepare the cars in heated, well-lighted comfort. It will help that tomorrow the first test session for the XX cars does not begin until 10:20 and for the F1 cars until 11:25, and that it will be warmer on Friday morning when the sessions begin earlier.

4. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I was at Chateau Elan this morning and apparently everyone involved with the F1 events is staying there. Spoke with a few of the Pirelli staffers for a little while at breakfast (they were intrigued by my half Korean daughters, 7 and 9). They seemed to sensibly believe Friday would be the better day due to warmer weather. English was certainly not a strength though!

5. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    We have a great turn out for Thursday and Friday and a big thanks to everyone for registering. Please say hello while you're there and more importantly, have a great time!.

steved033 and Dr Tommy Cosgrove like this.
  6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Well, not as nice a building I expected - basically a long, narrow tent. But look at all those F1 cars!
    [​IMG]

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  7. elgin328

elgin328 Formula 3

Apr 11, 2004
    near Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I will be there in the yellow 348 spider. Both days. I will be able to hear them from my house only 4 miles away.

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    This time, even nearby residents who don't normally complain about the noise probably will. A bunch of screaming F1 cars on a track make a lot of noise! And for the first time I can remember at Road Atlanta, I'm going to be using earplugs.

9. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Spirespatrick, Oz-ATL and 458fan1 like this.
  10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Does anyone know what the absolute lap record (which is likely to get smashed) is at Road Atlanta? The best I've found is 1:06.2 by one of the Peugeot 908 prototypes when they were running in the Petit Le Mans.

The most modern F1-type car I remember seeing on the track was the abortive Lotus T125; one of the few made appeared at The Mitty in 2014. While fast, it was nowhere near 1:06.

11. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Sarrazin in the 1:06. I want to say that the Benneton that used to come to the Mitty had a 1:06.8, and that stood till the Peugeot.

Will they be timing?
    sjd

12. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    I love the 333 SP's pictured... I loved that car.

13. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    for those not there, Road Atlanta on FB has been showing live feeds.

sjd

14. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I was present off an on today (Thursday) and timed a couple cars lapping in the 1:06-1:08 but more importantly I heard Gene is present and at some time will be breaking the track record. Expecting a time in the :50s :D Really outstanding hearing these cars again. haven't heard a V10 live since Indy

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Unfortunately there were no 333 SPs on the premises. The count was six 599XX (based on the 599 GTO), one (!) FXX (based on the Enzo) and eight FXXK (based on the LaFerrari). And there were seven F1 cars, ranging from 2001 to 2013, though one blew its engine during the morning session.

And Marc Gene did indeed break the absolute lap record (which had been 1:06.2, set by a Peugeot 908 prototype in qualifying for the Petit Le Mans some years ago). I heard it was in the 1:05 range, but I also heard 1:04.4; we will find out exactly in due time. Fact is, with tomorrow supposed to be warmer, the cars may be faster!

I'll be posting some photos shortly in a new thread.

16. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    The FB live samples today sounded amazing. Looking forward to tomorrow. Driving RS 458 mid morning.

17. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob

Lap record was broke today by 2.5 seconds !

What a great day to be at Road Atlanta- can’t wait for tomorrow !

steved033 likes this.
  18. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    I had a great time yesterday. Thank you Will and FoA ! The cars were amazing to watch. And the sound! Bring ear plugs if you're going today ;) Wish I could be there again today.

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I decided that another 120-mile round trip, in Atlanta rush-hour traffic, was not in the cards. After shooting 140 photos yesterday (many of which I'm posting on the other thread), there isn't that much more I could have done. I would have liked seeing more of my friends who couldn't make it yesterday, but there will be other opportunities for that. For those of you who go today, enjoy! Don't forget your earplugs. And with the Paddock Grill being the only dining option, you may want to bring lunch.

And when you get home, please add your Friday photos to the other thread. The more, the merrier!

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I heard that Marc Gene did 1:04.4 in the F2008, which isn't even the fastest car available. If he hops in the F2003 or F2004, he might go faster today! Either way, to quote Tom Carnegie, "It's a new track record!"

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    A change at Road Atlanta that will affect photography. Just to the left of the pickup in the background is a gate, which was a popular place for photographers to get near-head-on shots of cars coming over the brow heading from turn 5 into turn 6, without shooting through a fence.

Unfortunately, since last year, they have erected a fence on top of the inside wall beyond the gate. So now it is impossible to get those shots without shooting through a fence, making the spot essentially worthless for photography. All in the name of spectator safety, I guess...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Final lap record of 1:01.2 was done on Friday in the 2003 car. Averaged just under 150mph! It was a great day out there.