250 GTO Continuation Series | FerrariChat

250 GTO Continuation Series

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Igor Ound, Mar 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Wasn't Ferrari supposed to build 100 to qualify for homologation at that time? If so, then this could provide the excuse they need for a "continuation" in the way of Jaguar and Aston Martin.

3. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    WHAAAAAAAT?? OMG. With Sergio Machionne on the company i see things going from bad to worse. First the SUV now te 250 GTO Continuation Series. It will be something like the GT40...

Oh God..

4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I have been thinking a bit more about this. I know it would probably not be possible to do it, what with all the rules and regulations that abound today, but if Ferrari could put the 250 GTO into serious production, it could be sold at quite a reasonable price - no costly development needed, relatively simple mechanicals, no expensive electronics, etc., etc. - so anyone who could afford a Portofino could buy one. It might upset a whole load of people, especially owners of genuine 250 GTOs, but wouldn't it be great fun for the rest of us?:):)

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Mods, please move this thread to "Recreation/Replica" forum section.

6. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    I’m not at home at the moment so can’t refer to my records, but weren’t there were (at least) three uneven chassis numbers in in the circa 044x range that were supposedly unused by the factory...?
    Could these become continuations a la the Sanction Astons?
    I am sure three chassis do not make any continuation financially viable but does present an option...

And before starting a new thread, were these three chassis really unused or were they destroyed in a development process?
    (Calling Kare...)

Paul

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #7 miurasv, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    This is not the correct forum for what would be a 100% original and authentic Ferrari. This and the Ferrari Heritage thread should be moved back to the vintage section as these cars do not match the non original and non authentic Ferrari aspects specified in the sub forum rules.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Hmm...will they be raced? Will the MSRP be the same and only adjusted for inflation ($18k new then, which is $150k today)? Probably not...so this is just a money grab and I don't agree with it.

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Of course 250 GTO continuation cars won't be cars made before 1973 either for the Vintage section but they would be 100% real examples made to 1962-4 designs by the original maker.

10. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    I can't see how they'd manage to sell them as manufactured before 1973. If that's the case it seems they could be continuation but carry a current model year designation, i.e. 2018 Ferrari 250 GTO. Seems strange to even write that. I suppose we'll see what Marchionne decides.

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I just meant that for cars to qualify to be discussed in the Vintage section they have to be made in 1973 or before....... But it is the most appropriate section to discuss 250 GTO Continuation cars, IMO.

Igor Ound likes this.
  12. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Well I'm not sure.
    Of course discussion of a 'real' GTO belongs in Vintage.
    Certainly I'd agree that the factory (through historical inheritance, rather than competence, I'd argue) has the right to determine whether a new car 'is' a continuation 250 GTO or not.
    But I still can't get past the fact that it's a new car.
    If they were starting with a NOS chassis that was stored on a shelf all these years, that's easy. It's a true continuation, old car... finally completed.
    But for them to make new copies, IMO, they're just copies- albeit unlike any others they'd carry the factory blessing.
    I'D BUY ONE (moot point as I haven't the $) but I still think they're new cars made to copy vintage cars.

All that blathering aside, I'm glad I don't have a moderator's responsibility of sorting out this particular philosophical question- 'where to discuss'.

;)

13. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    They are not copies of any existing cars, they would be continuation of an existing series of cars, and would be built by the original manufacturer. Agree with Steve, this thread is in the wrong forum.

Put it this way, say Ferrari build a complete brand new nut and bolt example.

What if you take the engine from that example and put it in one of the originals, its still an original. Take the body and put it on another, its still an original. Take the unstamped chassis and put it in another, its still the original, etc etc etc. Ferrari have been doing all those things for years under classiche, the only difference would be this time they would be applying all those components into one package and assigning it a unique continuation series chassis number.

It wont be road legal from Ferrari as its type approval is out of date, but could be raced and in some countries registered as a kit car/special build if complying with certain regulations.

Igor Ound likes this.
  14. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    It could be sold as a track day only car, and run in vintage races... Since it is not legal on the street it would not be as useful as an original. But at the price of GTO's and seeing what Jaguar is doing with the SS/D types, that greed floats right up to the top...

One thing that Jaguar is doing that lets them off the hook for street use is that they can use engines and transmissions from pre emission year cars (rebuilt of course), and that could grandfather them in from emissions regs... No way Ferrari could do that with the GTO since engines are as rare as hens teeth...

15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #15 miurasv, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    I don't really understand the animosity and why Ferrari would be deemed greedy if they make some Continuation 250 GTOs, by giving people what they want, and yet to my knowledge Jaguar and Aston Martin are not being accused of the same, or certainly not to the same degree.

Surely XKSS (16) and D Type (71?) engines and transmissions will be almost as rare as those for a 250 GTO (36) if it really is the case that they could be used on the street with those from Pre Emission year cars. Do you mean modded/tuned/dry sumped Jaguar XK engines and transmissions from street cars? If so the GTO could use engines from outside plug 250 GTEs and 250 GT PFs????

Also why shouldn't Ferrari charge the market value for the car? The GTO is their invention/product. If they don't the people lucky enough to buy the cars will certainly be the main profiteers when and if they sell at the escalated price that demand determines.

16. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I believe that those high quality 250GTO replicas that already exist, mostly used engines from 250GTEs , but that was before 250GTEs became valuable enough to be worth restoring. It would be a shame if the advent of factory-built 250GTO replicas meant that more GTEs being sacrificed. The Jaguar XK engines used in D-types etc. were produced in much larger numbers, from the XK120 in 1948 to the last Daimler DS420 limousine in 1992, and in cars which had a habit of rotting away, so the supply of engines is pretty much unlimited.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    My point exactly. There are tons of XK engines available on the used market and all you need is a block number and the car is a "rebuilt" old car and can avoid the safety and emissions regs. No one would condone cutting up even GTE's to make GTO's, even if the factory was doing it. So the bottom line is that in most of the world the new builds can't be titled or driven on the street.

18. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
  19. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    It would be super cool if they could get ahold of legacy consumables and restoration parts first... You know, oil filters, maybe some correct-ish yellow zinc fasteners, etc

20. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    An article similar to this was on either Fox or CNN yesterday and played up the fact that Ferrari was thinking of a continuation series for the 250 GTO and that it was a $52 million car. Article did not surmise how much a continuation car would cost a consumer and seemed to have been written to fill space. Personally, I don't give this idea much hope.

21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Just curious, what year did Shelby give to it's official continuation cars? Could they be registered for street use?

22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #22 miurasv, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    I wasn't condoning the use of 250 GTE engines to make new 250 GTOs only demonstrating that if Jaguar could make their continuation cars street legal with donor XK engines then so could Ferrari with GTE and PF engines.

Jaguar is actually doing this??? With what cars???

23. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I think it would be fun. A brand new 1962 Ferrari 250GTO . . . . I'm fine with it.

24. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I love the idea .. imagine that...

of course I would not be happy if I was an original GTO owner ....