distributor cap spring | FerrariChat

distributor cap spring

Discussion in '308/328' started by rcraig, Apr 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Need help. Changing plug wires today and when distributor cap was removed the spring that keeps tension on the little button that makes contact with the rotor was broken and the button fell out as soon as I took the cap off. Can't find one of these anywhere. Anybody have one or know a source? I need it desperately quickly. Bob

2. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Try T. Rutlands, aka Maranello Auto Parts --- it used to be that the carbon contact button and spring were available as "a kit" without the cap.

If not, take the spring from the other cap into your local hardware store and match it up as close as you can. This spring is not a "precision device", and a suitable replacement will work fine. Make sure the spring material that you choose is electrically conductive. Copper is your best choice, then regular spring steel --- avoid stainless steel as it is not very conductive.

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Bob -

Call me ASAP. I just got a pager alert that your shipment is at the local FedEx station and missed the delivery vehicle pickup. Send you email too, but not sure which you monitor more frequently.

5. Thomasio

Thomasio Karting

Feb 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    Thomas Alberti
    Changing plug wires today, and went to remove the center contact out of the distributor cap to remove the distributor coil wire. My little spring broke about 1/4 off of the end. Does anyone have a part number for the spring? I'd have to guess there are other automotive distributor caps out there with similar center button and spring. I'd also pony up for the center electrode button / spring kit combo, if that is an option.

6. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Several suppliers carry it. AW Imports in NJ had them for my ‘82 308GTSi.