Differences between early production vs late production F12? | FerrariChat

Differences between early production vs late production F12?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by ewright, Feb 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Hi all,

I've been eyeing an F12 for some time now as my first V12 GT car. I am about ready to start making offers on cars that I like, and I just wanted to solicit the wisdom of the forum members as to whether:

1. There are any differences between early/late model production F12's?
    2. If there are any common points of failure or trouble spots that I need to look out for in inspecting cars?

I've done several searches through the archives and the F12 (knock on wood) seems relatively reliable. Moreover, the only change that I have read of through the model years has been updated infotainment on MY 16 onward.

Any information or advice you can provide would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    2017 has all new displays similar to the 812S in the cluster and software. They probably fixed the paint oxidation issue also reacting with the mesh and the paint.

I remember there was a water pooling and dumping into the car also issue on the tailgate....

3. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Thank you for your reply. Do you happen to know whether there is a practical difference in the utility of the updated displays, or is it simply a cosmetic/stylistic improvement?

4. 2k8SB

2k8SB Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Hi, I have a 2017 F12, the screens are higher resolution that the '15 and earlier screens (they are more similar to those in the 458 and the 16 onwards similar to those in the 488). The functions are broadly the same however there is an option of Apple CarPlay with the updated screens, I have this and you can tell if the car you are looking at has it by the 'CarPlay' button on the right hand (assuming left hand drive) control pod. I think the only other difference, (at least from my 458 which has the earlier screens) is that on the left screen you can get full screen digital speed readouts rather than a pseudo analog readout which is difficult to read at speed. Hope this helps, happy to take pictures if needed.

5. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    This is really helpful, thanks so much for the detailed explanation!

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Not true regarding mesh. Its the earlier cars that might have less incidence from what the owners have posted here (limited sample). The display differences are minimal at best. Water can get into that one point in the tailgate of every F12. The fix is simple. Passenger airbag replacements in all model years and most other models including LEs. The F12 has no drawback expect extreme satisfaction and deep feeling of being lucky. Buy the one that speaks to you, in the build you would have ordered yourself, and in the best condition. You want one with at least 1K miles/year minimum to have fresher battery and keep mechanicals in proper condition. Best.

7. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Thanks for your advice, it’s very helpful. Based on these replies, I have little hesitation going with an earlier production F12. Hope to post pictures of my new F12 soon!

8. Kauai

Kauai Rookie

Apr 24, 2015
    Estero, FL
    I have a 2016' listed for sale in the Ferraris section. Regards, Kauai