Correct Ferrari Red | FerrariChat

Correct Ferrari Red

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by HJZ360, Mar 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HJZ360

HJZ360 Karting

Nov 27, 2017
    Weslaco, Texas
    Full Name:
    Harold John Zurlo
    After 32 years of Corvettes I now own a 2002 360 F1 coupe. The garage needs a total redo, my question is what is the correct Ferrari Red to paint walls? Also the 360 is amazing!
    Thanks in advance.

2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The most traditional is called Rosso Corsa. Don't have the paint code handy, but you can look it up with the search feature.

HJZ360 likes this.
  3. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Congratulations and welcome aboard.

HJZ360 likes this.
  4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    If you are looking to paint part of the garage Rosso Corsa see if you can get a paint chip from one of the places that do some work on Ferraris and take the swatch to Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, local hardware store and have them paint match it. Might even be a swatch thru one of the paint manufacturers too.

HJZ360 likes this.
  5. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    The paint code sticker is probably somewhere inside your engine compartment I would think

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    another interesting bit, the primer coat is yellow, may not seem like it but the primer coat color will effect the final red color. grey and white tend to make red look dull and flat. This of course depends on how accurate one wants to get with getting the correct red.

Morgan72301 and TheDiffuser like this.
  7. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Not in the engine compartment but in the front trunk! There in the center of the hood is a sticker with your car's original color and code.

Formula Uno likes this.
  8. HJZ360

HJZ360 Karting

Nov 27, 2017
    Weslaco, Texas
    Full Name:
    Harold John Zurlo
    Thanks,
    Thanks for your reply but my car is Gregio in color.

9. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    FWIW, if you paint the garage red and your car is red, it'll wash it out. Maybe a different main color and rosso corsa for accents

10. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    His car is silver. Literally the post right above yours. :)

11. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    You could paint it like the dealer workshop.........

Attached Files:

energy88 and HJZ360 like this.
  12. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Go to Ferrari's website and select the Configurator for any model. Then go to the paint options and you will see various reds.

HJZ360 likes this.
  13. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    G. Pepper likes this.
  14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The year is 2005. I'm in Montreal for the F1 race and somehow get invited to a Ferrari bigwig party. I had just purchased a Ferrari Stradale in Rosso Scuderia. One of the mucky mucks, maybe Todt, told me what a big deal it was for Stradales to be painted Rosso Scuderia. That color had been reserved for the F1 cars because it looked more red on TV. Not even Enzos got Rosso Scuderia. I was like, "No ****, Sherlock. Wow." :rolleyes:

G. Pepper likes this.
  15. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I painted three walls of my garage Ferrari red and one wall Ferrari yellow. I used brochures from Ferrari to match the paint. I'm anal and probably made 4 or 5 trips back to the paint store perfecting the code. I'm in Canada and can't remember what paint company I went to. If you haven't figured it out yet I'll take a picture and dig up the cans. Some paint companies are the same company whether in Canada or the US.

16. HJZ360

HJZ360 Karting

Nov 27, 2017
    Weslaco, Texas
    Full Name:
    Harold John Zurlo
    Thanks for the reply. I have paint codes with RAL 3002 for red, need to cross when time allows.

17. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Yep, on my 360, it's a sticker on the frunk lid.

18. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    PPG Rosso Corsa is 322 DS

19. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Not sure why you don't just take all those free sample cards from the hardware store and compare them to the car...? Unless you're painting the garage with car paint & primer, go for "close enough".

G. Pepper likes this.
  20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The true answer is easy: there isn't a "correct" Ferrari red. There is one red that is correct for your car, and you have to look at the paint label under the hood, somewhere, to know which one.

The name of the color, Rosso Corsa, which means "Racing Red", is very misleading in many ways.
    When the racing colors for each country were decided at the begining of the 20th century, Italy was given red, but the red was never specified in intensity, light or hue. Any "red" would just do, and was called "rosso corsa" in common parlance because it was the shade with which the cars were racing; but, as said before, there was no specification. Ferrari used a red that sometimes was rather dark until the sixties, not as dark as Alfa-Romeo's, which bordered to maroon, but close to the "Rosso Barchetta" of today.
    It was television that changed everything, as the darker reds used until the sixties didn't show well on the screen, so, starting in 1967-68, the shade of red used on the racing cars started to get lighter and yellower as it showed better on the screen It was still called "Rosso Corsa" in everyday's parlance, even if it was not the same red as before. Alfa-Romeo's red, although still notably darker than Ferrari's (see the 33TT12 of 1975, for instance) was also called "Rosso Corsa", even if it was not the same red...

On the road cars, the name "Rosso Corsa" was not used before 1981-82. The standard red for carbed 308s for instance was Rosso Chiaro, which means litterally "light red" but was actually rather darker than the later "Rosso Corsa" (still following me?).
    When the paint manufacturer changed in 1980, the new one, Glasurit, came with a color that was named "Rosso Corsa" (even if it was not exactly the same color as the one of the racing cars of the Scuderia...still following me?).
    That was the starting point of the use of "Rosso Corsa" on the road cars. You have to keep in mind that even if the name didn't change, the color itself did. After "Rosso Corsa" came "Rosso Corsa 300" in 1983, which was slightly lighter and "redder"; then "Rosso Corsa 300/6", again slightly lighter and "orangy-er" from 1983 to 1987; then "Rosso Corsa 300/9" (introduced especially for the 288 GTO in 1984) from mid-1987; slightly "orangy-er" again; then "Rosso Corsa 300/12" in 1992, etc...you see the pattern. When PPG became the paint provider at the end of 1996, taking Glasurit's place, they kept the color name, but it continued to evolve.

Morale of the story: there isn't ONE "Rosso Corsa", there are many of them. And later still, some darker Reds were re-introduced to serve as a reminder of the earlier racing reds (Rosso Barchetta, Rosso Scuderia, etc...)

If you want a red that match the one of your car, look at the reference on the paint label, and ask for this; or have the paint of the car matched. Otherwise, asking for a "Rosso Corsa", you will actually never be sure of which one you will get in the end.

Rgds

dallastide and G. Pepper like this.
  21. HJZ360

HJZ360 Karting

Nov 27, 2017
    Weslaco, Texas
    Full Name:
    Harold John Zurlo
    cb804, dallastide and G. Pepper like this.
  22. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    nerofer

You're answer was better than watching a rerun of Magnum PI! Awesome info and v interesting TY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dallastide likes this.