Ordering Portofino SPEC Advise First Car | FerrariChat

Ordering Portofino SPEC Advise First Car

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by FutureBuddha, Feb 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FutureBuddha

FutureBuddha Rookie

Feb 5, 2018
    Full Name:
    Future
    Hello everybody,

I am going to put down my deposit for the new Portofino for delivery this summer(hopefully) on Monday. Its my first car ever so really excited.

I am certain on the "'Aluminio Opaco" special paint. ( a 12k$ option) The launch car just looks amazing in that color. Its going to be a daily driver so can't even imagine getting red or even blue. Silver just seems perfect for me.
    I'm going for a low key look so going for - No Shields and Aluminium calipers. I am going for Cuoio Seats. Standard Black Dash. Aluminum Steering WITH Led's.
    HI-FI Music system. Carbon Fiber Cup holder. Inner Rear Upper Trim also in Cuoio. Also fire extinguisher.
    My question is about the wheels. The wheels that I like from the options available are the 20" forged rims painted in silver.
    Looking at the Cali T pricelist, these wheels are going to be about 6 or 7k.
    I am frankly not a huge fan of these wheels , I much prefer the look of the f 12 Berlinetta style wheel rims.

Should I go for the standard Ferrari spoke wheels (0$) and then buy something like HRE P101 and save a couple bucks ?

Also, are the electric seats / aniline leather worth the huge price ?

Please advise and feel free to give advice for the spec. Thanks

2. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    Please reconsider ordering the shields. The bodywork is modified specifically to accommodate the shields and it's not something the next owner can just order and stick on like other cars.

ScottS likes this.
  3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome - given US dealer cars are apparently not spec'd yet and not expected til the summer are you sure you're not being offered Summer 19 delivery ?

PS if its your 'first car ever' are you sure that almost 600 hp is the right thing to learn on ?

4. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Agree, do the shields if you are thinking of resale down the road.

5. FutureBuddha

FutureBuddha Rookie

Feb 5, 2018
    Full Name:
    Future
    I really dont want to. The resale is not at all a priority for me. I just dont want the extra eyeballs that would come with the shields !

6. FutureBuddha

FutureBuddha Rookie

Feb 5, 2018
    Full Name:
    Future
    I really dont want to. The resale is not at all a priority for me. I just dont want the extra eyeballs that would come with the shields !

7. FutureBuddha

FutureBuddha Rookie

Feb 5, 2018
    Full Name:
    Future
    I was told US delivery would be around May/June ? What have you heard ?
    And hahah, I know how to drive. This is going to be MY first cat, as opposed to me driving my parents....

8. FutureBuddha

FutureBuddha Rookie

Feb 5, 2018
    Full Name:
    Future
  9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I think you will have an awesome experience whatever option you choose. Spend more time and money on planning long trips and great experiences. That is what you remember for the rest of your life. I bought my first Ferrari when I was 25 and am now 36. Lots of fun. Sometimes also lots of frustration. Life with a Ferrari is like life in general, but slightly more flamboyant... I think Aluminio with Couio is great. A two tone beige/brown or cream/beige makes for a more interesting look and might put the icing on the cake. And keep the car original. Once you start improvising with custom stuff, it's not a Ferrari anymore.... Please follow up when you get her! Erik

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. FutureBuddha

FutureBuddha Rookie

Feb 5, 2018
    Full Name:
    Future
    Thanks a lot !

11. FutureBuddha

FutureBuddha Rookie

Feb 5, 2018
    Full Name:
    Future
  12. dstama

dstama Karting

Dec 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    D
    i really dont think the shields are going to be the thing that attract the attention!

13. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    My dealer today told me they halted production of the portofino.

They have no idea when they will get their allocations.

This is info from a tristate dealership.

Anyone else hear the same thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    I was at a dealer in the UK and was advised that customer deliveries would be pushed back until later in the year, although he also said that they had been given an increased allocation of Portofino's.

15. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Sounds like a few significant bugs need to be worked out or they just weren't ready process wise at the factory/suppliers. Always a little worried when buying the first year of a car model. I had done it twice personally (both I was one of the early in the prod. run cars too) and both times have had issues crop up that were shaken out later in the model year or in the next year. Lesson learned from my past mistakes. So yes, I was cool having vehicles most had never seen on the road yet but spent a decent amount of time in the shop with cars that were a few months old.

16. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    I had the same experience. I purchased one of the 1st California's and had a few problems, but nothing significant. At the time it was a completely new model wth a number of firsts for Ferrari:

• The first front engined Ferrari with a V8
    • The first to feature a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission
    • The first with a folding metal roof
    • The first with multi-link rear suspension
    • The first with direct petrol injection

The 2nd California I had, which was 3 years older, was a lot better. It felt more complete and did not have the problems of the first car. The most noticeable improvements was the handling and the gearbox.

Most of the major components of the Portofino have been tried and tested, such as the engine, gearbox, suspension etc. The roof is an upgrade to the existing California mechanism, rather than a complete new system.

I was advised that the reason for delays in production could just be down to component shortages, and that one supplier could hold up the whole production process.

17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    If resale is not a concern, then I agree, I think the Porto looks better w/o the shields, more sleek and streamlined w/ the scuderia shields breaking up the profile view. Magneride is a must IMO. I would pass on the better HiFi, unless you are an audiophile, plan to use this car as a DD, etc. If you do not like the wheels, then I would do what you suggested - order the standard wheels, and then go aftermarket.

By the way, you can order the Porto with CF wheel caps, which would be another what to help keep it on the down-low.

T

Edit - this thread has Porto option price list, in case you have not seen it.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/apple-carplay-on-portofino-4-219-is-that-a-price-list-typo.570107/

18. FutureBuddha

FutureBuddha Rookie

Feb 5, 2018
    Full Name:
    Future
    Thanks for your suggestions.

I am planning on going on a number of road trips all over the country. Maybe even having the car shipped to Alaska and spending some time there.
    Hence Hi-Fi music seems a must for me at this point. I agree totally btw with you about the shields. I think there are a number of current and past models of Ferrari that look better without the shields. Particularly in low key colors like blue and silver.

Can you elaborate on the magneride. I am still unsure as to the uses of it and whether its worth 5 -6k.

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Those would be epic trips!

Magneride is magnetrheological fluid suspension. Essentially it can go from solid to liquid by applying a magnetic field, and thus firm up or loosen the suspension as needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagneRide

I can't say much more than that, since I've never driven a Cali w/o MR. I do recall a few thread talking about it, and the reviews were positive. I will see if I can find those threads, as it's been a wild and my memory may be faulty...T

Edit - here is one thread for Cali T specifically. Note the 2nd post by Mr. Lederman, who seriously drives the heck out of all his F-cars!

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/magneride-or-not-for-cali-t.487420/

Another...

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/cali-t-order-questions.486237/

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You'd be surprised. In a low key color, especially a lighter one where the Ferrari script and cavallino on the rear don't stand out, the side shields can be a big give away, especially when people roll up next to you @ a stop sign/red light...T

21. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Should buy a turbo tts cab if you want low key. Buying a Ferrari and being low key is almost an oxymoron, regardless of shield presence.

andruslik and good2go like this.
  22. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    I agree with this. I was vehemently against ordering my California T with the shields. My dealer talked me into it. Thank god he did. Reconsider please....

It's more than just optics (the shields are iconic). You crush the resale of your car for no reason by ordering them without shields.

23. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    This is incorrect. On the California T, and likely on the Portofino, The Shields Are A Thing -- A Very Big Thing. Frankly, it's fun having them as "the giveaway" to this car being a Ferrari without someone having to ask.

Agree with another poster above....get a Porsche 911 Turbo S if you want to "disappear".....that is not what this car is about.

24. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Magnaride is an essential option in my humble opinion. One of the greatest, if not THE greatest, inventions in handling since independent suspension. Developed by General Motors (shocker), it has now been licensed to almost all other car companies worldwide for installation in their cars. It is simply amazing to go from Comfort mode to Sport mode at the flick of a switch and instantly feel the difference. Amazing and probably the best bang for the buck in your ordering package.

Avia11 and uhn2000 like this.