Testarossa Heating system pipework help - setup | FerrariChat

Testarossa Heating system pipework help - setup

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by spiderscott, Mar 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    #1 spiderscott, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Hi Guys

I'm a little stuck with the 'Ratarossa' build and need some help please.

Working on the heater system and as the car came arrived like a giant jigsaw puzzle in crates I am currently trying to put together the heater and a/c system.

I have most of it figured out but stuck on a couple of points.

Firstly: Looking at the parts diagram pipe number 39. This runs from the engine bay and directly to the threaded connector built into the heater system ..... can someone conform this to be correct ??

If my assumption above is right then for some reason my pipe connector does not fit (its to small) the threaded outlet from the heater unit (see pic)

The pipes are all connected at the engine end and these pipes were already in the car when i purchased it (so I cant rule out them being incorrect)

Am I missing something ? Should there be an reducing adapter ?

I did lots of looking on the threads, can see the 512TR has a different setup in this area and an extra box connector. But nothing on an early TR such as mine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  3. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  4. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa

If I am correct and this number 39 pipe defiantly runs to the threaded outlet of the heater system. I was thinking of just going to a plumbers merchant and getting an adapter ?

5. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    ok, so the treaded fitting are the Air conditioning circuit.

6. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    spiderscott likes this.
  7. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    where's parts 28 and 41? 28 is a check valve I think.

8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Scott, I believe my heater hoses were clamped heater hose, not screw fitting. I replaced both of my heater hoses without much difficulty. Don't assume the engine hose hook up is correct. The manual kind of shows the orientation of the hoses on the engine. By the way the latest Prancing horse magazine from FCA # 206 has a big article on Gianni Agnelli's personal Teatarossa spider.

spiderscott likes this.
  9. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  10. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Yes thats my thoughts on it but cannot figure why they are different size connectors and won't join ???

11. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  12. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    I then got them to check pipe 39. p/n 124670 (US car version). This runs again from the A/CV compressor to the evaporator (what is the evaporator ?)

Now if you compare the connectors on the Maranello pictures to the end on my pipe 39 .... its different.

So basically what would be extremely handy is a picture from someones Testarossa (pre 512TR) to see what the pipe looks like that screws onto the pipe from heater unit. problem is i'm unsure how much you could actually see by just pulling down the passenger foot rest and looking behind ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    #13 Veedub00, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    R-12 versus R-134? nevermind, shouldn't make a difference.

14. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    evaporator : condenser : front airco radiator...

Guido

15. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The evaporator is the little radiator looking thing in the dash, the A/c hoses connect to it. The dash heater core is a radiator looking thing also, but the hoses clamp to it not screw fittings. The condenser is behind the drivers side wheel well splash shield with louvers in the fiberglass. The hot water heater valve under the footwell is default always open. Thermostat calls for cold and the valve is grounded and closes and shuts off water flow.

turbo-joe likes this.
  16. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    oeps me wrong then, beating my head to the wall...:oops:

Guido

17. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa

Are you absolutely sure they all clamp to it ? I don't understand if thats the case why there is a thread on one of the pipes from the dash rad ?

I looked around and this TR unit is for sale on ebay, its identical to mine and again you can see the thread from the pipe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    OK maybe . I know Clamps on the hoses coming under dash from engine.

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    normaly all what has to do with heating has no thread, only hoses and clamps. on the heating system there is max pressure 1,2 bar
    the AC all has thread because of much higher pressure

20. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Wait a minute !!!

I was studying the parts diagram again and paid a bit more attention to this area pictured below.

Correct me if I am wrong here but thats the air con compressor and the setup for US cars appears different from Euro spec (which is the bulk of the main diagram). For US cars from the AC compressor the cable looks to route via and through an 'exchanger' using pipe 57 (exchanger to compressor 125851) then out again via pipe 58 ( Evaporator to exchanger 125852)

From the parts image the 'exchanger' seems to be housed in the fuel tank ???

I will try and get closer to the pipework in my car (engine end and see where its routed) ....no idea if ill be able to actually see that much without removing some major parts

Attached Files:

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I also had just now a look at the parts catalog scott and think you are rigth with the exchanger in the fuel tank. but never have seen this, also never had a US model in my garage. but when I look at the parts catalog I see there are also different fuel tanks. so really could be that this exchanger is in the right fuel tank?
    does someone from the US could confirm please?

what means in the parts catalog for the fuel tanks: for CAT and not for CAT? what is CAT?

but I think scott that your car is no US car?

the hose 125852 from the US model then goes from this exchanger to the evaporator and on the non US it is hose 127787 what goes directly from the compressor to the evaporator. but the connection at the evaporator seems for me equal for both models.

22. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    BINGO !!!

I have finally sussed this out guys.

- Romano for reference my car is a US version of the Testarossa so should indeed route via an 'Exchanger'

First I disconnected both pipes at the engine ac compressor. I then disconnected the pipe at the condenser (front wheel arch). the other pipe was already disconnected sitting in the cabin.

I then got someone to block the end of the pipes while I blew down from the compressor end.

Results:
    1.Small connector pipe had pressure when blocked BUT went to the cabin - This should run to the top of the Condenser (so routed wrong)
    2. Large connector pipe had ZERO pressure when other end was blocked = VERY STRANGE

I did some more digging and got under the car with a torch.

1. Large connector did correctly route down and into the 'exchanger' (this is situated in the lower part internally of the right fuel tank) this was in the rear input connector of the tank.
    2. However looking around a bit more and moving some pipes (very limited access) I discovered there was nothing connected to the 'output' hole !!

Then I though this was weird because I have two hoses at the front of the car 1 at Condenser 2. in cabin (loose)

from the first test I knew the one in the cabin was routed wrong so this only left the one from the condenser. moved to the font underside of the car and removed the clamp from the centre of the car holding the pipe in place (freeing it up) I gave the pipe a tug and hardly any resistance .....pulled some more and the pipe was clearly loose, pulled the whole thing out and someone have cut the pipe !!!

Actions now required to fix problem:
    1. I need to reroute the current small pipe thats in the cabin to the front of the car and connect to the A/C Condenser
    2. Need to purchase pipe number 58 (evaporator to exchanger US) 125852 and fit that to the car

Next question:
    Anyone know of a US Testarossa being broken. Eurospares are asking £337 for that pipe !!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you for the info that yours is a US version scott,
    could you please post some pictures from the right fuel tank to see how this is mounted?

pipe? I think you mean a hose? this every hydraulic shop could make for you. you only have to say for AC because then they use other material.

but sorry for this stupid question now: for what you need an AC in GB? also you have no roof and the wind is better than the AC :)

24. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa

Yes sorry you are correct a/c hose !!

Good idea, I will look into an independent to see the cost

25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    my "hose"maker in germany will charge about 25 € each meter plus the fittings