'The Ratarossa': The Testarossa Spider Rebuild Project | Page 21 | FerrariChat

'The Ratarossa': The Testarossa Spider Rebuild Project

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by spiderscott, Sep 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    BINGO !!!

I have finally sussed out the heating AC pipework issue

I had posted a separate thread for this but will put the info on here to as its all part of the build project

First I disconnected both pipes at the engine ac compressor. I then disconnected the pipe at the condenser (front wheel arch). the other pipe was already disconnected sitting in the cabin.

I then got someone to block the end of the pipes while I blew down from the compressor end.

Results:
    1.Small connector pipe had pressure when blocked BUT went to the cabin - This should run to the top of the Condenser (so routed wrong)
    2. Large connector pipe had ZERO pressure when other end was blocked = VERY STRANGE

I did some more digging and got under the car with a torch.

1. Large connector did correctly route down and into the 'exchanger' (this is situated in the lower part internally of the right fuel tank) this was in the rear input connector of the tank.
    2. However looking around a bit more and moving some pipes (very limited access) I discovered there was nothing connected to the 'output' hole !!

Then I though this was weird because I have two hoses at the front of the car 1 at Condenser 2. in cabin (loose)

from the first test I knew the one in the cabin was routed wrong so this only left the one from the condenser. moved to the font underside of the car and removed the clamp from the centre of the car holding the pipe in place (freeing it up) I gave the pipe a tug and hardly any resistance .....pulled some more and the pipe was clearly loose, pulled the whole thing out and someone have cut the pipe !!!

Actions now required to fix problem:
    1. I need to reroute the current small pipe thats in the cabin to the front of the car and connect to the A/C Condenser
    2. Need to purchase pipe number 58 (evaporator to exchanger US) 125852 and fit that to the car

Next question:
    Anyone know of a US Testarossa being broken. Eurospares are asking £337 for that pipe !!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa

Interesting wrap on this 512 TR Spider

Seriously cannot wait to get mine on the road after hearing this one.

Johnny Boys likes this.
  3. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I’m following this great interest!! Amazing project.

For your ac hose give a company like Pirtek a call. You’ll be stunned by the price difference. I believe they do ac hoses. Fixed my oil hose for £30. Second hand hose was north of £500 so had a good day that day!

DonS, turbo-joe and spiderscott like this.
  5. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Cheers :)

A plumber mate of mine also recommended Pirtek yesterday and said they are really good and theres an office locally, I will give them a call

6. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Just a couple of boring jobs today. Put all the bits I took off the car to access the pipework back in place until I need to remove again to replace the AC hose.

Sealed all the remaining parts with the front passenger wheel arch and inside the car. Then fitted the final bit of velcro for the carpets

Ran a nice fat bit of sealant around the front hoods air diffuser ready to fit then realised I had ran it all on the wrong side :(:(:( ....what a donkey !!! Anyway I think its better to just leave the bead to dry and hopefully peel it off then start again. Annoying as it was a half tube of sealant.

7. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  8. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  9. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    Scott, I've always thought this was a ballsy project but those factory HVAC diagrams and the photos of all those wiring harneses takes my respect for your challenge to an even higher plain. Kudos, and best of luck with your puzzle! John

DonS and spiderscott like this.
  10. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Thanks John, it took a lot of head scratching but this forum is always so helpful with such issues, it often gives me the confidence to persevere on these harder issues. Always a nice feeling when you finally figure it out :D

11. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    not sure why I still feel like an excited kid at Christmas when box of Ferrari parts arrives, after all its just cost me a small fortune for a bunch of plastic and metal bits :D

Anyways, I have acquired a few of the smaller finishing items I need to complete some of the jobs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Buying Tip:

Not sure if you guys do this but I always cross reference the parts from 85/90 & 512 TR cars. The part numbers a sometimes different yet they are identical items and more often than not there is a difference in price.

Mainly though the reason for doing this is, you will find that one part is not stocked and special order from the factory whereas the equivalent is sat there on the shelf.

turbo-joe and theunissenguido like this.
  13. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    #514 spiderscott, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    The guys at Furniture Clinic are super quick, got the colour dye back already

For future reference: My custom colour match is GF7399 this relates to the chocolate brown on a Testarossa leather (as matches from a brand new timewarp dash)
    View attachment 2518545

Attached Files:

14. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  15. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    A real Ferrari radio? Didn't know they existed in older Ferrari's?

spiderscott likes this.
  16. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    I'm happy to upgrade the radio in the Ratarossa, I don't have the original Testarossa unit and feel the 6112 is a good addition, still being original ferrari equipment and at the same time adding SatNav is a nice touch.

17. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Being honest its most likely never going to get used though ...... Flat 12 in all its glory sat right behind me with no roof is music to my ears. Especially when I fit the sports exhaust.

Reminds me I must dig that exhaust out and add it to the list of jobs that need doing.

18. MisterT

MisterT Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Fleet, Hampshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Taylor
    I have had my TR since 2011.
    I think I turned on the stereo ONCE, when I was looking the car over before purchase.
    Otherwise, I always listen to the 12 pots singing right behind me....... magnificent when or full chat.

19. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
  20. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK