going out in sports coats | FerrariChat

going out in sports coats

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by max930, Mar 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Is it tooo much to go bar hopping in a sports coat, jeans and nice shirt? Or does a sport coat still speak 1,000 words fashion wise? My new ones still fit and I wear them when having meetings. But they are fast becoming too big as my diet is working. My older ones before the weight gain are now almost fitting again. I want to wear them when going out before the summer heat comes. Should I save them for meetings? Or can they still be worn to clubs?

2. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Yes. Wear them. As long as they aren’t an old style and they are fitted properly. A great tailor is your best friend.

Boomhauer, max930 and Texas Forever like this.
  3. DJP

DJP Karting

Jun 9, 2013
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I wear sports coats often w/ jeans and button down...and I live in the Bay Area. ;) yes it’s okay to look good even still today in a place that’s gone over casual.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

classic308, max930 and Texas Forever like this.
  4. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I just don't see guys out in sports coats here. But I feel more "comfortable" more dressed up, then like trying to be a millennial. All my suits and sports coats are tailored Zegna, so expensive and fit properly. Well with weight loss the fit is no longer as good with my newer stuff.

5. DJP

DJP Karting

Jun 9, 2013
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I know what you mean about being more comfortable. For what it’s worth...if you get tired of jeans, ted baker has some more stylish pants (length ends higher up than slacks or jeans, cuff w/ bizarre patterns at bottom) that are nice alternative.

6. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Thanks for the suggestions.... I've decided to dress up even for grocery shopping. I finally have my waist size down to a level can wear my older dress slacks. Now shopping on a cdn clothing chains site for more clothes.

this store: http://www.clubmonaco.ca/home/index.jsp?ab=global_home&ga_campaign=CMO_G_CA_Brand_Exact_General_Neutral&cid=CMO_G_CA_Brand_Exact_General_Neutral&ga_source=google&ga_medium=paidSearch&ga_term=club+monac&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIybfil6aI2gIVBRUYCh3iKgHyEAAYASAAEgLsPPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Its owned by Ralph Lauren.

7. Imak

Imak Rookie

May 25, 2014
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Mark S
    Look good feel good is what I always say!

8. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    It depends on the jacket and how it fits. I frequently wear a sport coat with jeans and a nice shirt when I go out.

9. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I wear a sport coat all the time. When you dress nicely you feel better and get treated better.

the_stig and killer58 like this.
  10. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    By all means, wear a sports coat... when it's appropriate. Button the top button on a two-button coat when you are up and about and you will be treated like a grown man. For jeans and casual wear, you can't go wrong with Billy Reid and Paul Stuart. I'm a professional and I wear both formal and casual all the time, comfortably. If you want to, go for it...

Skippr1999 likes this.
  11. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    As much as I don't like it, this is very true. The difference in reactions I get when dressed nicely versus more casually is pretty significant.

the_stig and Lotaz like this.
  12. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Look good, feel good. Do what you feel is right. I wear sport coats sometimes, and sometimes I wear skinny jeans (and although I'm about to turn 50, they look good on me or so I'm told).

13. DJP

DJP Karting

Jun 9, 2013
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    In terms of jeans.... try agave jeans. I will never buy another brand again. Or until I discover something more comfortable ;)

14. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Have you tried Heritage 34 jeans? They are extremely comfortable. I’ll have to take a look at agave.

Scott

imcarnuts and DJP like this.
  15. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I sometimes think I am the last person sharing the old-school philosophy that a sports coat is appropriate after 5pm. I am pleased to hear others still do as well.

16. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I much prefer wearing either a suit or a blue blazer to a sport coat. But that's just me.

As for the OP's question, personally I'd say he's being a bit too casual-- maybe go with some nice slacks, instead.

17. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    The only thing I don't like is the dry cleaning. Its not the money, just another thing I have to drop off and pick up. In my small town few if any guys dress up when going out. The women however look ready to hit clubs in downtown Vancouver, so I get noticed more by them.

18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    A little secret: most women like it when you dress up a bit.

HobbsTC, FerrariFR33458 and max930 like this.
  19. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yep

20. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Again the guys here make zero effort to look good. The women however look ready for a night on the town. So I think they appreciate my effort to do the same.

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The first time I saw the UNTUCKit commercial I went straight to their website. Not for the shirts, but for the jacket. But at the time, they weren't offering it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Untucked shirt with jacket looks terrible, IMO.

What's so special about that jacket?

23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1

24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I like the untuck look, casual and clean.

The jacket looks better in the commercial. It's stylish and lightweight. Looks high quality too. Plus, it's steps above these:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think in a tropical climate (I see you're in Florida), the untucked look is fine. Please, though, don't do it with a blazer or jacket like the guy in the picture-- that just makes you look like a slob.

killer58 likes this.