GTS Barn find | FerrariChat

GTS Barn find

Discussion in '206/246' started by KARICOUM, Mar 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KARICOUM

KARICOUM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Roscoe
    Guys looking over a totally unmolested 246 GTS car that has come out of long term storage, no accidents, no visible rust, totally interior original and paint - overall its in really nice condition. 27,000 miles showing with books and just two owners. Great preservation class candidate and quite a find. Question is how to value. Is it worth same money as a 100 point restored car given its originality? .... the owner thinks so .....mmmm

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Looking forward to this .

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I would suggest he reads the numerous threads on this site in restoring these, the market has dropped recently and don't see it recovering for a while.

e.g https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/03724-restoration-starts.338426/

You / he may be lucky and find somebody who wants an unmolested car, how long has it sat in storage? if more than 5 years everything will be seized solid with shot electrics!!

4. 246328458

246328458 Karting

Feb 13, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    246 SAH
    You should post a bit about, year, cars approx. location, colour, LHD or RHD, options, books, jack, tools, dash condition etc. All these things have an impact on value - and for the time being values appear to be on the way down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. KARICOUM

KARICOUM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Roscoe
    Car is a RHD Chairs and Flares. It runs but needs recommissioning. Books tools jack and full service history from new
    Don’t wish to disclose color or location at this stage

6. 246328458

246328458 Karting

Feb 13, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    246 SAH
    So is quite a rare car that could be in a rare location with the possibility of a very rare colour. Be careful recommissioning it to retain the originality. Put it in a survivor class concours competition and see how you go! Price wise - if you want it - work with the owner, there are quite a number of Dino’s for sale at the moment, some have been for sale a while, maybe check out alternatives as recommissioning costs vary greatly. Read the compendium to work out how rare it is. Hope this helps as I don’t know how much you know about Dino’s, I assumed your just starting down this path

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I read only 6 UK rhd originally sold..of course others may have added the c/f at a later date.It is rare for sure.

8. KARICOUM

KARICOUM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Roscoe

9. KARICOUM

KARICOUM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Roscoe
    I have owned a 71 246 GT for several years which I’ve had sympatheticly restored so I know the marque well - just perplexed on valuing this car given its originality and rarity

10. 246328458

246328458 Karting

Feb 13, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    246 SAH
    As 308 GTB pointed out - make sure it’s chairs and flairs are original - I assume if in original paint then they are? Does it also have the Campagnolo wheels? If you have all the paperwork and history and with so few owners then the current owner should have the original delivery paper work confirming all this. If you can prove everything is original then you have access to an incredibly rare car, wherever it is, and that is not necessarily the UK. Price wise this all pushes the price up in my humble opinion, however since you already have a Dino wouldn’t you prefer one you can drive as this new one your looking at is sounding more like a museum piece with a price tag to suit, in a market that maybe does not match the expense.

11. KARICOUM

KARICOUM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Roscoe
    Steve it’s a genuine C&F car with campy wheels. Color is pretty funky and very rare but I love it ..... I’ve recently sold my 71 car so need to fill the hole in my garage

12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    There was around 19 UK RHD C&F coupes (16 GTS) delivered to the UK, some of those may not have had the Daytona seats? how many survive is unknown exactly.

What is the chassis number?

Tony

13. KARICOUM

KARICOUM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Roscoe
    I’ll share that at a later stage Tony

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Cannot wait, having an original C&F coupe myself, it would be nice to see another on here!

KARICOUM likes this.
  15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Good luck with this the car sounds very interesting the value for me would be difficult to determine ,commisioning can get expensive then if there is hidden rust well you know how that goes...but what a cool find

16. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    only two C&F RHD GTS without know history....
    #06840 (Argento) or #06698 (Nocciola)
    :rolleyes:

17. 246328458

246328458 Karting

Feb 13, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    246 SAH
    Sounds like you have already mentally bought this very special one. The price the owner wants is then immaterial as you can’t go down to the store and buy another. If you want a fully restored one then there are several for sale. So to answer the real question - pay the asking price and get driving your new Dino!!

18. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hidden rust?

Larry, on a Dino there is no rust, anywhere... :)

Regards, Alberto

19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Roscoe, I would not try to run it at all. That it runs is great, but please wait for bare minimum usage, until you have a done deal.

Driving it may cause more problems you don't want.
    Have a PPI performed, might give you bargaining power.

Break a leg!

Regards, Alberto

375+ and KARICOUM like this.
  20. KARICOUM

KARICOUM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Roscoe
  21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #21 Ferrari 308 GTB, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  22. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You have to factor in the cost to get it back to proper running condition. They yellow CF car that sold at Bonhams Scottsdale was a very original car inside and out. I would use that as a barometer minus the cost to recommission the mechanicals.

23. KARICOUM

KARICOUM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Roscoe
    Were all GTS cars shipped with a satin black targa roof.....or could customers order a roof color matched to body?

24. KARICOUM

KARICOUM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Roscoe
    The Dino Compendium says all cars left the factory with a black roof.....a careful re read of Matthias’s marvellous reference has answered my question :)

25. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    with the exception of two cars with a silver roof....

swift53 and KARICOUM like this.