Does anyone have a picture on paint sample 106-a-16 (celeste blue)? | FerrariChat

Does anyone have a picture on paint sample 106-a-16 (celeste blue)?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Mikaeln, Mar 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mikaeln

Mikaeln Rookie

Feb 8, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    hi

I am restoring my 246 gts to its original color celeste blue (106-a-16) but i am having a hard time in finding the correct color. (The samples i have seem to be too greenish compared to the pictures on cars that i have seen pictures on).

Does anyone have a high resolution picture on the original factory paint sample?

Thanks a lot in advance

Mikael

2. 246328458

246328458 Karting

Feb 13, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    246 SAH
    Do you have the Dino Compendium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LARRYH likes this.
  3. Mikaeln

Mikaeln Rookie

Feb 8, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
  4. 246328458

246328458 Karting

Feb 13, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    246 SAH
    Looks like you have an original paint samples swatch. I wouldn’t use photo’s as light conditions change all colour. Even the samples swatch could have changed over this amount of time. My local professional automotive paint shop in New Zealand was able to mix Argento 106-E-1, which is my Dino’s colour, as they had the calculations for that specific colour which seems to match my car perfectly and Metallic colours are not easy to match. Maybe ring around suppliers and see who has the calculations for your colour. Otherwise ring around some restoration places. Dinouk.com have a page dedicated to Dino colours, maybe also try them. Which country are you in? Do you have this type of support nearby? If not, I can try and get the calculations from my paint supplier and you could try to replicate via your supplier, would you like me to try?
    Regards
    Steve

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    There's a doc here who has a blue Dino, I think it's Celeste. Let me ping him.

6. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
  7. Mikaeln

Mikaeln Rookie

Feb 8, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Great - thanks!!

8. Mikaeln

Mikaeln Rookie

Feb 8, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    This would be great if you could check with your supplier.
    I received one recipe from matthias (dino book) but unfortunately this gave an even more greenish color - see the picture. I have the car in Sweden by the way.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Mikaeln

Mikaeln Rookie

Feb 8, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Attached are the different samples that we have experimented with as well....

I have always thought that the color was more blueish but based on the pictures from 500tr, we seem to be close on the last samples (and maybe the original sample - pic3 that i originally posted- is not the correct one?...

10. Mikaeln

Mikaeln Rookie

Feb 8, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
  11. 246328458

246328458 Karting

Feb 13, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    246 SAH
    Hi Mikaeln,

I’ve rung around my contacts and been unable to get the correct colour but I might be able to explain why you are getting so many different shades.

My suppliers did not have your particular colour but they did have 106-A-32. They use De Beer paints from Holland, you may know them. In their system 106-A-32 is called Celeste Chiro Metallizzato, but the Dino Compendium lists no 32 as Azzurro Metallizzato. If you translate your colour name and this new one from Italian into English they could mean close to the same. So different paint suppliers may have used different names for colours over the years. Not much help I know!

Given only 29 cars were painted in your colour your right in spending the time to get it correct. I would suggest you follow the recommendations of Matthias and you might even need to go back to the Factory and see if they are able to provide the correct recipe.

Regards
    Steve

12. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    An intriguing, very beautiful and very rare color. Subtle and elegant, perfect for a Dino. You are lucky to have found a Dino with such an unusual original color. Hope the car stays in Sweden!

13. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Hello Mikael, was discussed before Celeste has a slightly greenish touch.... it looks to me, your pen points to the correct colour.... see on my picture Celeste (left) compared to Argento (silver)

Bundy likes this.
  14. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Unfortunately not.

15. Mikaeln

Mikaeln Rookie

Feb 8, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    This was a really useful comparison - thanks a lot Matthias!

16. Mikaeln

Mikaeln Rookie

Feb 8, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    By the way, in your paint sample do you also have the color that i posted in the 3rd picture from the top? If yes it would be great if you could put it together with celeste and also let me know what the name is.
    Thanks a lot in advance
    Mikael