New and first time exotic owner needs advice | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New and first time exotic owner needs advice

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by SAU KWENG TAN, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
  2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    thanks ,now just need to set her free on the road.

paulchua likes this.
  3. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    After it gets full protection clear bra I will definitely drive more. I am trying to find out where I can go track and racing school locally in Los Angeles rather than drive hours away.

paulchua likes this.
  4. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    If I have that kind of money, I would get the Enzo first, not LaFerrari. I already had Civic Si Manual before even though it was 1991 model. I may get S2000 or Miata when my boy got his license later this year. Stick shift only. That's how I learn and did the test. All my kids must know how to drive stick shift, period.

paulchua likes this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks for posting pictures SAU KWENG TAN, Again let me say as somebody that worked hard for 7 years to buy a 488 and GTS in one go - I commend you! I see you got your 488 from Westlake, I am very familiar with the Mattioli group - who did you work with over there?

Kind regards.

SAU KWENG TAN likes this.
  6. Newport

Newport Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2006
    Wow! Great car congratulations!. Bring it to Supercars by the Sea (Google it) on April 15th 7am to 10am at Huntington State Beach. I will make sure you get a beach front spot so you can get some good pics!. Nice!

7. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Alright, here is why I get $30K off the 2017 GTS. Things happens for a reason! It was driven by Porsche USA high rank executive with about 4000 miles on it. To me, it's a used car even though I can register as new and I am the original 1st owner. Not Demo car, no accident or any repair done.

Is it still considered great deal since it is a USED car. I am careless not to read detail and feel being deceived by the ad listed as BRAND NEW!

paulchua likes this.
  8. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Thank you. Perhaps I am one crazy dude spending all savings on cars (impulsively) rather than paying off home loan!

Mr. Bush. from Westlake.

paulchua likes this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #35 paulchua, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    You should get an invite for a track event in October in Palm Springs (send me a PM if you need an invite), no jugdement from me on how to spend your life savings, in fact you seem like a very cool guy and a true enthusiast!! I am planning to attend, hope to see you there and apologize in person for doubting you.

Finally no need to feign modesty, you are doing well and everyone here will applaud your success.

10. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Is it still worth getting it? Dealer is pushing me to sign the new ownership document and ready to send the car today or tomorrow. Please advise.

11. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    I also would have doubt. Thank you!

paulchua likes this.
  12. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    You need to contact D'elegance Detailing about that. I personally wouldn't recommend a full body clear bra as it deteriorates over time and you will need to take it off then reinstall (assuming you don't want your car to have a yellowish haze on it) which is not cost effective nor does it look good for the long run. I bought a vehicle that had full body clear bra (which I was told that it will last a lifetime) and after about 4-5 years the PPF started to yellow and get very hazy due to scratching. I then had to pay for removal and for the entire car to be wrapped again which I was not going to go down that road because of what I have seen with the previous wrap. Next time I opted to do ceramic coating on the car and did PPF on the front fascia, side rockers, and side mirrors. PPF got ceramic coated as well. I am much happier with that protection method.

I think on most cars a full body wrap is around 6-7k. Lifespan is roughly 3-6 years on average depending on the film and how you maintain it. I have been to many car events and I have seen all of the clear bra jobs and unless they were done fairly recently they all had yellowing and hazing due to scratches on them. Depending on prep work a ceramic coating could be far less with a lifetime warranty that actually covers wear and tear rather than just manufacture defect which is what all clear bras only warranty against.

Because my vehicle had very little prep work involved I only ended up spending about half of what it would cost for a clear bra and I got a lifetime warranty as well. Just some food for thought. I personally had a full car clear bra and will never do it again.

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Sau Kweng Tan,

Just sent you all the details. There is also the Ferrari Challenge event at Laguna Seca, I will be there as well. That is in May and is another great opportunity to track your car. Let Westlake know about that as well and they can get you details.

Finally, if you are ever near the Bay Area, please contact me, It would be awesome to have you come along our bi-weekly drives.

Again, my apologies for doubting you - I hope you forgive my skepticism, I look forward to the day we can call each other friends!

Cheers

14. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Cool. No apology is needed. All cool. Thank you.

paulchua likes this.
  15. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    I believe the new technology on the film is better now and 7-10 years works more me.

I actually accidentally slam the thick power cable of the pressure washer on the front hood when I tried to shake off the water and sand. The cable went side way instead of up and down. I was totally freaked out acting like crazy #$%^&*( then realized it has the film. At that time I didn’t know the film has self heal function by simply park/drive under the sun, pour warm water or use hair dryer on it. Truly next day I drive around under the sun and the scratches are gone!

With that, I decided to do full car film so I don’t have to worry about minor accidental scratches like door from other car, rock from the side and even swirl marks. I can just spray and wipe instead of full wash. Any swirl mark will be gone when I drive under the sun or just use hair dryer.

paulchua likes this.
  16. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    There are ceramic coatings that have that self heal technology and they correct the same ways the PPF does. I have suntek ultra self heal on most of my cars. The self healing capability doesn't last forever and neither does the film. Hence why I only put it on certain areas on the car. I highly recommend you check out a brand called Feynlab. It is really cool stuff. And you can get a lifetime warranty with it. PPF does not offer a wear and tear warranty and their warranties only cover manufacture defect.

Either way wish you the best. Just wanted to give you some info I have learned over the years.