Testarossa Price Trends | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    That's quite a prediction in an already down market from 2 years ago....what is the reasoning behind this? For example, I don't see Diablos falling 50% well ever frankly.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Basicly all I did was compair the last big bubble to this one. It's following pretty much the same path. Rapid increases, followed by a fairly large decline. However the numbers I think will settle above pre bubble prices by a fair margine. Not a bad thing, if you have owned your car for the last 10 years or so. Still on top. For those who bought at hugely inflated prices, it's gotta hurt.

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Interesting, I just don't see good TRs falling below $150k (that is the price I remember them being when I was shopping in '13-'14). Agree there will be some unhappy bag holders (those who buy cars to flip or "invest" without being car guys).

What are your thoughts where the lower end of the Boxer market might settle?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    As long as republican stays as president I don’t see that happening liberals that’s another story Imo still a great time to buy a tr selection is great if someone is in the market

5. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Saw a 1992 512TR at Porsche of Beachwood with under 6K miles. Red/Tan, luggage, two sets of seats including 512M Carbon seats. May want to check it out. Ask for Phil Snyder there.

6. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    Would you know what they are asking for it?

7. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    #182 sixcarbs, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    cgt000 likes this.
  8. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
  9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    it was only an option - in germany. don´t know in other countries?

cgt000 likes this.
  10. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Wow what a great find love the Seats

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Hate those seats with a passion. Feels totally out of place to me.
    As far as the 512m: best Testarossa of the 3, most rare of the 3 but also one of the ugliest Ferrari i ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed- good TR within in the next 5 years will still command 150k for the very low mileage and 100 for the. 20-30 mileage.
    90 for 30-40 mileage.
    Think about it: iconic design; childhood dream car of many, next to last ferrari under enzo, manual, last flat 12 to date... yes they made 7k of them that is true but with so many idiots crashing them, not taking care of them and quite frankly they are becoming more rare and collectible.
    Will they be a 200k car? No, no i doubt it but prices are here to stay now.
    Now u can get a garbage one with 50k plus miles and tons of work to do on it for 75k thats for sure but i wouldn’t take a gamble on such a car.
    Mine came mechanically perfect but u know what there is always a little thing to fix here and there and nothing is cheap on those so u will get what u pay for.

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Just to clarify my statement a little, I'm referring to the 512TR, not the previous Testarossas....

14. Natkingcolebasket69

The 512TR will never go lower than 150k

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    That is what I said in reference to the $120k prediction by John T

16. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    I love to see the debate on prices and since I'm in the market to buy a TR or Diablo, I hope the prices correct and it looks like they are. I think when Trump starts a trade war and it spirals into a depression, that's when the deals will show! My 2 round pieces of copper.

Sent from my BBA100-1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Natkingcolebasket69

Whats amusing about this old thread is that it started 8 years ago and a lot of arguments were around the cost of ownership, amount of TR mades, that they would never go more than $40 and here we are 8 years later and u can not get a good TR for less than $80k. I don’t know if i will be on there 8 years from now but i highly doubt this will go any lower than $80k.
    Its a fun thread;)

Shamile and TODDZTR like this.
  18. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    Guess my eyes and your eyes see things differently. I love the 512M and to me it is the most beautiful variation by miles!

19. Natkingcolebasket69

True but if u ask around not many ppl find it pretty. Most dont even rmbr it but it is the most valuable for sure!

20. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
  21. Natkingcolebasket69

The prices are stable now. Go ahead make offers on cars u like. U will see they are certainly a lot of TR for sale in the 100-120 and they dont sell but the real selling price is between 90-100 for most of them. Now garbage TR will go lower and pristine ones may fetch more but thats about it.
    I have many dealer friends who are hanging on to TRs at silly 120k price for a car with 30k miles: not happening. There are some heavily modded TR as well which go for cheap too.
    The devil is in the detail in those. We all know the cost of the diff, clutch and service but what about all the other stuff?
    Fuse box from scuderia repante 3k
    Broken windows motors (IF not grease issues) 1,5k
    Hood latch 1k
    Trunk latch 1k
    Glove box not opening 1k
    The headlight stock and the all stock units breaks with time: fixing the unit by a pro cost $700 but can go up to 1,3k.

A lot of cars for sale i checked out had all those issues and they were still asking for silly prices. I paid a bit more for mine bc i wanted a good car and that’s what a lot of pictures don’t tell u!

turbo-joe likes this.
  22. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Some very good insight! I have talked to a local dealer about the TR they had in stock, I eluded too a $ amount I would offer for the car and he said I can't even look at that offer because they bought it at a Usa auction during the manual transmission frenzy, overpaid and now won't sell for a loss . . . ouch! I imagine a lot of dealers are in this predicament!!

Sent from my BBA100-1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Never is an Absolute, and one thing I learned from my days as a professional trader was never use Absolutes. (Which is funny because it too is an Absolute, haha)

There are already several offered in Europe well below that figure. I will give you not the finest examples, but certainly some decent ones. (FYI- Mondials seem to be offered higher in Europe than US.)

Plus, you are assuming everything else remains constant. If there is a recession, or if the stock market tanks because of quantitative tightening (QT), don't think the classic car market won't be affected. It will. This is not a business and investment thread but there has been an incredible amount of money pumped into the economy by central banks the last 10 years and now it is about to be drawn down significantly, $50 billion per month starting in October.

So we will see. From the auctions and internet sites I follow it still seems like a buyer's market right now. The auctions trade at the low end of the lowered estimates and the same cars remain on the internet sites month after month. Are there exceptions? Of course.

It will be interesting to look at this thread in a year.

turbo-joe, Shamile and TODDZTR like this.
  24. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    You're not too far off but it's coming close to the end of the economic cycle and there's no tools left for the next recession with all the high deficits.

But, remember.... "analysis... paralysis" When will be the right time? There will alway be something and the car won't be perfect.

If you're going to buy, you should just do an analysis on your parameters based on cost, market conditions and sampling of cars available....what issues and how much will you be putting in.
    The economy is robust and prices are up. At a certain point, you're just going to have to dive in.
    The price range for a Testarossa is very different from a Diablo or 512 TR. If you want the best bank for the buck, get a Testarossa. If you want an absolutely crazy and flashy ride ( I do ) , then the Diablo is for you. Just know, thr maintenance is going to cost you double that of a Testarossa...this comes from having the two cars side by side for over 10 years and daily drivers.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  25. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    +1! ....on things to come.

I still wouldn't say it's a buyers market right now.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk