Wow- Ferrari and Dealers Boycott Cavallino Classic for Price Gouging | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Wow- Ferrari and Dealers Boycott Cavallino Classic for Price Gouging

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by eyeman1234, Jan 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    In any case, it seems there is enough noise and people upset for Cavallino to issue a statement if they want people to come back in 2018.

As it is, i will not go back in 2018.

2. terryreid

terryreid Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 7, 2017
    Bloomington, IL / Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Terry R. Stahly
    John Barnes is arrogant and has been one of the main reasons the show has lost its luster. Word is he has been shopping the event for years and obviously not only raised prices to make the event more profitable but also cut his overhead by eliminating the Yacht Hop, the Jet Reception has been a disaster even by John's own admission in 2016 so what did he do for 2017? 45-minute lines to get a cocktail but no Hors d'oeuvre stands? At least he had a bar in 2016 they served wine only. The track event is not even worth going to anymore, lunch stinks the entire event has went downhill each passing year. You can blame the track days losing so many cars on some things such as no insurance on street cars for track days anymore, the increasing values of the cars etc, but I know one person John Barnes personally ran off who brought six cars to the track along with all the registrations for various events over not allowing a repair part to be brought in???

My Dealer told me John had it sold to Ferrari for the price he was asking and when they sat down to close he doubled the price and FNA told their dealers not to participate other than if a customer needs them there to support their car(s).

Sounds like utter arrogance, greed and an inability to understand how to operate an event. I believe resting on your laurels along with delivering less and charging much more along among other things has doomed this show until new ownership is found. If what my dealer told me is true he will not get that asking price again with Ferrari boycotting the event or the bad press and word of mouth that has ensued.

It's a shame because it was something I really looked forward to attending each year but not anymore.

Pigs get slaughtered was what I was taught.

Sfumato and Texas Forever like this.
  3. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    My wife and I wanted to attend but simply not worth $400 for admission.

bball16 likes this.
  4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Car shows are like charity events you go to to show off your trophy wife.

5. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano

I agree. Have been attending on a regular basis. But this year it lacked something. I think the event pricing is getting to be a bit over the top. The aviation and Concours events were notably not as well attended and lacked "the feel" of years past. I won't be attending next year.

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Agreed.

7. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Or to find one ! :)

8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Granted, I can't comment on what it was like 15 years ago but this year the concourse was fantastic - amazing cars and very well attended. It is also very well executed. As for the price - $200 is very fair for this caliber of an event. It is a premium concourse with a spectacular setting. Given where it sits on the food chain of top concourses (which is very near the top) it is well priced comparatively (with the likes of Pebble Beach ($325 pre-purchase/$375 day of, and the Quail ($675+), for example).

Ira Schwartz, HotShoe and rob lay like this.
  9. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    £69 for Sunday at the Goodwood festival of speed. If I was you guys I'd spend the difference on some airfares and come to a real show!!! Or try the Revival for similar price and spend all day wondering around the visitors car park drooling over the cars before you get to the show.

10. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    My friends and I didn't go and won't after last year. And I own three supercars and live 20 minutes away. There was no excitement around the event last year. The best part used to be the activity and people driving a variety of exotic cars to the event. As for the venue, have a drink at the Breakers if you value the atmosphere.

11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I'm not really sure what a group of people are all upset about. It's a fantastic gathering of passionate good people who have a passion for Ferrari. You should have come. It was a beautiful day and the show was great. You missed seeing some amazing cars.

ag512bbi and Ira Schwartz like this.
  12. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I don’t think you’re correct about the event being well attended. I attended this year and about a dozen times previous. The number of cars on the track was pathetically low, no Dealerships participated (meaning no carriers of customers cars and no hospitality tents), and the number of people, and cars, on the Lawn was the least I’ve ever seen. So, my experience doesn’t seem to match yours.

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I didn't attend the track days, so I can't comment on them As for the concourse itself, I attended last year and this year. Both events were fabulous (though I thought this year was better). How does the show compare to 5, 10, 15 years ago? I can't say because I didn't attend. All I know is that the show was great. The cars were amazing and there seemed to be a ton of people there. I guess they could squeeze more cars and people out there, but it seemed rather packed to me as is. It sure didn't come across as a dying concourse to me.

14. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Too bad. We had fun about 10 years ago going to Cavallino. We used to have a little free-for-people-in-the-know steak dinner at our house off Beeline highway after the Friday track day. I have great memories of the event, but when they bumped the price from $50-100 (with a free 6 ounce water) I could see the writing on the wall. C'est la Vie.

GatorFL likes this.
  15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I think the unfortunate thing is that you decided to deprive yourself of a passion you had with your hobby and your friends over an extra $50. The Cavallino is regarded worldwide as one of the top, if not the top, Ferrari concourses. Staging an event of this caliber takes many months and tremendous cost. After experiencing it these last two years, I think $200 is a fair price. I think the biggest mistake they made was pricing it so low for so long. They were wise to just bite the bullett and raise the price, take the hit and move on.

You spend many hours with some of the greatest Ferrari's in the world. Seeing them up-close and personal, learning from their owners, etc. While I'm sure the event has evolved over the years, for a Ferrari aficionado., it really doesn't get much better. Come on out next year and give it another try.

Ira Schwartz likes this.
  16. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    It's funny seeing you argue with each and every person whose opinion it is that Cavallino is a shell of it former self. What's funnier, you're trying to talk Bill Tracy into seeing your point of view. A few years ago, Bill was kind enough to open his home to people showing their cars at Cavallino. He had some well known house guests and some fantastic cars being detailed at his house. I can remember a gathering at his house for one Kentucky Derby and his yard was filled with probably 50 exotics. Many other gatherings had a similar turnout. Bill has probably forgotten more time with world class exotics than you've had your whole life. :)

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm merely pointing out that the show was great. If others feel it isn't worth their time and money that's obviously their choice. Most of the negative comments on here are from people who don't even attend the event anymore and bemoan the day when admission was less expensive. While I can understand that, I still think the concourse was spectacular. I'm sure everything you're saying about Bill Tracy is true. All the more reason why it is a shame that he doesn't come out and enjoy the event. I for one would love to see more people like him participate. I don't believe there is anything wrong with a respectable exchange of views. If people don't like the Cavallino anymore, that's fine. But, if someone/anyone is a passionate Ferrari aficionado, I think they are missing out by not attending. In the end, to each their own.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    not going to an event over $50 is pretty lame. most of us spend 5x that for fine dining with wine weekly. I bet you John ended up with more revenue overall even if a few less spectators. I still haven't been, but John owes me some apologies before that would ever happen.

sbenus likes this.
  19. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I've attended all 27 Cavallino Classics and, along with the GP de Monaco, it remains on my annual list of "must do" events. Yes, the track was very quiet on Thursday (which was fine with me, as I got a lot of track time with light traffic), but Friday was much busier, with many more cars and lots of spectators.
    As for the concorso, it was top-notch. As regards cost, well, I'd rather pay $200/person than revert to the old days when tons of toddlers roamed around fondling the cars, and one mom even wheeled a stroller into one of them- I hate to say it, but perhaps the higher cost keeps out those who are less than serious gearheads, and that's not a bad thing, IMHO.

jm2 and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  20. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    He could take a lot of lessons - he and his close buddies are serious snobs - I have been to the Cavallino as a must for many years but Barnes has wreaked it - no more for me

21. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Perhaps your visa should be revoked. You are more than welcome to not be in the US.

22. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    Hi to Bill Tracy, I attended a few of your barbecues years back. Very nice of you to host them. Are you still in the area? Perhaps you recognize the Ferrari or remember my black NSX, both of which attended.

BT likes this.
  23. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I love Ferrari. Bought my 1976 308 a while back and it was a great struggle. I attended the show every year. Unfortunately, I can't pay $400 for two tickets. Admission goes up 100% per year. I work in public education. My raises have always been between 2 and 2.5% per year. I have been priced out of the game. It is very sad.

24. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    100% agree. $200 to see some (a lot) of the rarest Ferraris, see friends and hang out at a beautiful hotel? Why wouldn't you?
    I'd rather spend $200 once a year to see Beautiful Ferraris than go out one night and spend $200 at a restaurant.
    AND... I come all the way from So. CA!

That being said, The track event was WEAK!!!! I won't be going back to that.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    There are plenty of opportunities without tickets required. Example is the recent Design District Concours and you could have viewed the rally from Ferrari Ft. Lauderdale, to our FerrariChat headquarters, to the Concours.

https://www.motor1.com/news/236170/motorgt-rally-ferrari-miami-office/

Rossocorsa1 likes this.