Ferrari 360 misfire issue... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 misfire issue...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Wayne 962, Mar 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    Damn. Fuel pump failed already? I blame the ethanol in the gas. You must find an ethanol free gas station nearby that sells at least 91 octane.

2. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Update: So, I thought about this some more, and I really began to think that the pump would have at least put out more than zero fuel pressure. So, then I started to doubt the tester and/or it's interaction through the pressure schrader valve on the left side of the engine. So, I disconnected the pump, and got some fuel hose and hooked the pressure gauge up directly to the pump. It worked and held pressure for days at 3.6 bar (which is correct). So, the pump is working fine. The hose to the fuel rail is fine, the fuel rail is fine. The problem was with the schrader valve and/or the tester - it wasn't pushing the release valve down all the way. I put a shim in there, and then tried the pump and it shows the proper 3.6 bar on the fuel rail. So, the pump and internal check valves are working well.

Started the car again, and ran it, and it still ran like crap on the left side (this is after swapping the MAF from left-to-right). So, the problem is either a failed coil or two, or some clogged injectors. The CAT burned red hot on the left side when I ran the car, and I know from my 308 ownership days, that this typically means fuel is getting into the intake, but not igniting in the car. I have a thermal camera, but unfortunately, the exhaust is very covered up by the cover on the bottom of the car (might have to remove that to take a look). The thermal camera (FLIR - about $500 on Amazon) is a great tool for seeing which cylinder may be dead - it's much colder than the rest of the cylinders. A laser thermometer also works, but is much less cool than a FLIR.

So, not really wanting to remove the lower panel just yet, and also needing to buy more tools, I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Waekon-76562-Quick-Variable-Sensitivity/dp/B0021UPE58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521426726&sr=8-1&keywords=Waekon+76562+-+Coil+on+Plug+Tester

It's a Coil-On-Plug tester. Frankly, I'm surprised I haven't needed one of these yet. It's still in the packaging, I haven't been over to the garage where the 360 is at to go and test it quite yet.

I did order new coils, so it may be a moot point, but I do prefer to find out what is not working first, prior to replacing parts, so I know if we've nailed it or not.

Hope this write-ups help someone in the future...

-Wayne

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The coils are a REALLY common failure part. The worst part is failure isn't binary. They'll kinda work and won't throw a CEL. When in doubt and the cat is glowing red, just turn off the car and order 4 coils and replace them. That will solve the problem and if it doesn't it's in the wiring and is a bigger fish to fry.
    This is actually a really good thread as it shows that in the diagnosis of an issue, you can get a few false leads like the fuel pump and apparent no fuel pressure...

4. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    This is a genuine Hercule Poirot mystery, "Who killed the Ferrari?"

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Coils are cheap and like to go poo-replace all 8, just did that and super happy I did.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Hot cat is fuel that is igniting if you get the cat hot enough by running it long enough. A very short run with big heat might be a clogged cat too. I forgot what your other symptoms were so plugged cat might not apply but just on this post alone I would at least put a vaccum gauge on it and check for possible clogged cat. That takes 5 mins.

7. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    I'm glad that everyone is enjoying the thread. I will keep updating it.

Today's progress: So I got my Coil-On-Plug tester and tested each of the coils with it. It said they were running perfectly. Of course, it's difficult to diagnose an intermittent problem, and I'm also not sure - if the coil is running properly, it may then be the spark plug that is not firing correctly? So, I removed all four plugs on the left side, and found some interesting things. The first plug (plug number five) was wet. All of the others were dry, but they didn't look too good either - it looked like they haven't been changed in a long time. They were the older plug style NGK PMR8A with the single plated tip, not the PMR8B with both the anode and cathode platinum plated. This supposedly is an upgrade from Ferrari, so I suspect they haven't been changed in a while. I did not see them being changed on the Ferrari dealer paperwork that came with the car, and surprisingly, they did not get changed at the last service.

By the way, on a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is the most difficult - removing the spark plugs comes in at about a 2. There's nothing remotely difficult about pulling the plugs. My car had the left side cam cover resealed, so there was a whole bunch of excess sealant that came off when the coils were pulled - I simply vacuumed that out of the spark plug area so it wouldn't fall into the combustion chamber. I also used my optical borescope to take a peak in there - I couldn't really see anything amiss (it's tough to see much through the spark plug hole).

Photos are attached - the first plug is wet, which means an ignition problem. The other plugs all look the same. I did not pull the right side yet (tomorrow). At this point, my maintenance will include new coils, new plugs, and also new MAF sensors (I was getting some weird readings on one when it first started up - it settled down after a few seconds, but they are now 20 years old, very easy to replace, and only about $115 each).

I'm still thinking that my poorly running car may have more issues than one dead cylinder. I'm not 100% sure. But since the xdiag tool doesn't seem to give out any other errors, I will hope for the best. I have the new CS transmission computer installed in the car and I can't wait to get the coils from Europe so that I can try it out!

-Wayne
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Agree with your thoughts / assessment at this point, and I think this is my point of attack. Interesting though that when I emptied the tank of fuel, it smelled really bad. Bad like the fuel smell you get when you buy a barn-find car that has been sitting for 15-20 years. But with the fact that the spark plug is wet, that leads me to believe it's an ignition problem like you suggested...

-Wayne

9. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Update on this thread (since people don't often followup when the problems are solved):

- While I had the plugs out, I ran a compression check on the engine. All cylinders were 175-210 - a little more variation than I would normally like to see, but still what I would have expected for any engine with only 26K miles on it. So, no major worries there. Make sure that when you are running a compression check, you prop open the big throttle butterfly valves on the rear of the engine - otherwise you will get some unpredictable results.

- I replaced all eight coils with new ones from the UK. They were about $45 each, plus shipping. At this cost, I think they are inexpensive enough (about $400 for the set), that I would probably recommend having a set on hand to replace as a standard maintenance item after 20+ years. On a scale of 1 to 10 (easy-to-hard) in terms of difficulty, the replacement is a 2. My 10-year old could do it.

- I also replaced the plugs at the same time with the newer updated NGK PMR8B plugs (plated on both sides) instead of the "A" plugs.

- I also replaced the airflow meters on both sides. My wholesale cost on those was about $110 each, I figured while you were in there. Took about 2 min and on a scale of 1-10, it's a 1. Almost easier than opening the front trunk.

- I also ran a smoke test on the car. Here was something curious - no leaks at the intake manifold gaskets (I was surprised), but there was a small leak at the cross-over valve under the intake manifold on the left side of the car. There's no way of knowing exactly where that was coming from without taking the whole intake apart. I left it in place and made a note of it - it might be leaking out of a small bolt hole or something like that. If/when I replace the intake gaskets I will address it.

- I put the car back together and made sure that I turned the power on and off to clear any memory. Then I performed the startup procedure like detailed here: https://aldousvoice.com/2013/01/16/ferrari-360-ecu-reset/ - the car stalled and didn't run very well. Then I sat back and I remembered that my large sharpie marker was still stuffed into the throttle-valve to prop it open for the smoke test. Pulled that out and everything ran well!

- I cleared the codes and drove home. I have a new updated Stradale F1 ECU upgrade I put in the car at the same time, so I'm working through that new update as well. But so far, it would appear that plugs, coils, and the new airflow meters fixed the problem!

I've owned a lot of cars, and I mus say, with the engine in the rear and the big rear decklid, the 360 is definitely one of the easier ones to work on. Just be careful not to drop any air filter box screws down into the engine - you'll be looking for them for a while and you'll have to do some "Ferrari yoga" moves to position yourself to get them back! (or just use a magnetic pickup tool).

-Wayne

Zcobra1, honda.vfr, Mickster and 3 others like this.
  10. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    Wayne I am glad it all worked out for you. Had det same problem with my 360 also. Both independent shop and dealer didn`t figgered it out, ended up fixing it my self by using the Thermo camera to "diagnose" which cylinders that was misfiring. You enjoy them miles now...

11. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Thanks’ for sharing.
    Things like these can be a nightmare but you tackled them appropriately and also gave us / the community important info, if this problem arrises for any of us.

12. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #37 360trev, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    I really don't know how this finally went for the OP but I've discovered a mistake in the xdiag codes (And probably 99% of Diagnostic tools in general for the Ferrari's), that is the P-Codes are being interpreted and relied on as gospel when they are incorrect. Be careful out there...

I nearly made the exact same mistake myself. Here's the problem, US decided on its own to define P-Codes differently to the EU cars. Normally this is not a problem, there typically is not much overlap so they are not re-used, they just have different codes. However in some circumstances the same identical p-code defined in the US cars mean a totally different things in the EU counterparts so these Diag tools get it wrong. They *should* allow you to choose (or more intelligent ones auto detect from the ecu id's) that the car is an EU or an US car then adjust the meanings accordingly. They dont!

P0300 Multiple Misfiring Recognition <---- different meanings in different geographies
    P0303 Cylinder 3 Major Emissions
    P0302 Cylinder 2 Major Emissions
    P0304 Cylinder 4 Major Emissions
    P0306 Cylinder 6 Major Emissions (2)
    P0305 Cylinder 5 Major Emissions (2)

---
    The P0300 error code is in fact interpreted differently depending on the Geographic region your in!

So P0300 for US spec cars is ;
    P0300 Cylinder 0 Major Emissions (Note: Engineers count like a computer does, from 0 to 7!)

So P0300 for EU spec cars is as xdiag reports it;
    P0300 Multiple Misfiring Recognition

Once again proving that these external tools are not well tested and outputs verified so be cautious!

For US spec cars Multiple Misfiring Recognition P-Codes are
    P1299 for Left Bank and P1298 for Right Bank

Hope this helps someone, you may be chasing a fault code interpretation that actually means something different!

kes7u likes this.