How much premium for this spec? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How much premium for this spec?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Zed82, Mar 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    I definitely think those look cool, but I probably wouldn't pay more than a $5K or so premium for the added options. I paid $65K for my 360, so if an identical one had these options, I might have paid $70K. Just one opinion.

-Wayne

2. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Damn, if I found a car with those Seats and Roll Bar, i'd be ecstatic. Perfectly willing to pay for it, since I'd want it anyways.

The CF...it looks good, but, indifferent to it either way.

In HK, my 360 cost me 82K USD. So...honestly, the seats themselves are like 10K USD if you can find, and then the roll bar, with install, since you need to weld, is probably another 5K. CF Bits probably another 5K all said and done. So, 20K in upgrades...I'd probably be willing to pay like 10K for it all, maybe a bit more since I love those seats.

3. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    I'd pay extra for the seats and harness bar.
    carbon fiber reinforced plastic takes away value IMO.

4. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Not being argumentative but are you thinking the engine compartment carbon fiber is CF/plastic? I can assure you that they are not. Matter of fact all of the carbon fiber is multi layer carbon fiber (no plastic). Regardless, I think most people are willing to pay extra for the racing seats in the 430.

5. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #30 Flea7, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    It's real carbon....not reinforced plastic.

6. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    For what Ferrari charges for carbon fiber options I'd expect real carbon fiber......

7. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I could well be missing something, but those look to me to be just normal tightening straps, and not intended to separate and let go in an impact. And if they do let go, it defeats the purpose to have them both let go. And since there is no provision for a 5th (or preferably 6th) point crotch belt, that is a dangerous, potentially life threatening design.

Would Ferrari make such a “mistake” you ask? Probably. Four point harnesses are common in many markets, and there are lots of them for sale from multiple manufacturers. I just wouldn’t ever buy or use one myself.

(I use a Schroth ASM harness in my track car, where one shoulder strap has a patch sewn in that will release and allow one shoulder to move forward a few inches on impact. With the other shoulder held in place, this allows the torso to twist enough that you won’t ‘submarine’ under the lap belt, turning your abdominal organs into jello. Submarining at city speeds is perhaps less likely, but still possible. Also, if there is no 3 point option in the car, even a city driving speed impact with a four point harness can hold your shoulders steady while pitching your head forward, resulting in a basal skull fracture - in effect separating your head from your spine. That’s how Dale Earnhardt managed to die in a relatively slow speed bump into a wall.

Sorry for the lengthy semi off topic reply, but I am a bit passionate about driver safety.)

galt and Bob in Makiki like this.
  8. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I will contact Ferrari and enclose your message. If they have made and still make a life threatening design this has to be investigated.

9. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Dale Earnhardt didn’t have the helmet retaining system used these days, right? Didn’t that invention become a mandatory after that tragic accident?

The additional weight from a helmet has proven to be a potential lethal risk during a collision. If I’m not wrong here, the retaining system (basically a small strap that prevents the head / helmet to move excessively during a collision), is mandatory equipment in race cars nowdays..?

10. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Got a response from Ferrari but it was more of a "our cars with four point harnesses are road legal". I also read up on the subject and apparently seats in real race cars can be a bit tilted backwards which makes submarining easier? The racing seat in the F430 is as straight as it can be. Also many sources claim that there has to be a whole lot of force for this to be an issue.

The other issue about the head must also mean that even your setup might be dangerous? Even if the patch sewn release allow for the torso to move forward a few inches the head surely must come like a slingshot in the event of a collision?

11. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Four points will get you hurt. Three points let you bend at the waist so you don't submarine and the air bag catches your head. Had five points installed in my Viper track car along with 3 points. 3 points on the street. 5 points on the track to hold you better during high G braking and cornering. 4 points will get you broken legs at best and at worst you could be turned into a lump of garbage in the foot well. GTS Bruce

12. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Here in the US, neither the harnesses nor the roll bar are available options, but the carbon seats are a rare and very valuable option.

13. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    Guys,

every CF part is a Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plasttic part. The Plastic, commonly Epoxy or Phenolresin, holds together all the fibers and gife them the shape of the part. The Fibers than take the loads and forces (quite simply explained). If You just layedr up pure Carbon Fibers, You just get a pile of Fibers, You need the Plastic (Resine) to "bond" them. So, enough OT.

14. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I'm VERY familiar with carbon fiber and the process used to make components/structures. My response, (and I will assume others as well), is that some people assume that the carbon fiber is simply a cosmetic/aesthetic "cover" over a "plastic" core that does not contribute to the structural integrity of the part.

15. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Come on man....you serious?
    Many here knows how its made and what a 100% CF means.

What were referring to is the crap that comes in usually from china that have plastic and fiberglass backing for support with a layer of CF on top.
    This is not the case with this car.

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    billy.gif likes this.
  17. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The reply is no surprise. They are selling a perfectly legal add on item that people are willing to pay a premium for. I never said it wasn’t legal. I said it wasn’t safe.

Submarining happens in seats that are perfectly upright as well. It is not the result of the initial impact sliding the body under the lap belt, it is the result of the rebound following impact, as the body continues its forward momentum after the car has stopped.

The submarine and the neck issue are both solved with an ASM patch because only one shoulder strap lets go. One shoulder stays held tightly back while the other moves forward. This twisting motion locks the lap belt over the pelvis, preventing submarining, and the lean prevents the neck from being snapped at a dangerously sharp angle. Essentially it makes the four point belts act like the standard three point in a collision.

For occasional track use, and especially for auto cross, there are distinct benefits to being held securely in position by a four point belt. But if you are going to do that, do your family a favor and use belts with an ASM solution.

Again, apologies for an overly long reply, but again safety is a bit of a passion of mine.

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  18. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    But the parts in the Ferrari's actually have carbon fiber on/in them and are not "stickers" like I have seen over the wood grain trim in other cars, one of them being a 2013 Maserati Granturismo s. And to be fair I don't know if this was something an owner did or if it came from the factory that way but other manufacturers do apply carbon fiber "stickers" and should be ashamed of themselves. If I pay for carbon fiber I expect carbon fiber.

19. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    azlin75 - I think we are saying the same thing. I know that the carbon fiber used in Ferrari's are actual carbon fiber. Cgfen implied that the carbon fiber parts were/could be simply graphic overlays, hence my response.

azlin75 likes this.
  20. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    misunderstood, but got it now.

338Lapua likes this.
  21. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Or to be fair from Germany, as is the case when you order your 911 with CF interior trim pieces.

22. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    What a great F430! If I'm honest I would pay a lot of premium for this car, provided the condition is good as well.

I can understand the statement George made regarding the Scud (I own a Scud). At the end the Scud is an extreme F430, but it is a 430. And what I really like about this product line is that the two 430-models (F430 and 430 Scud) are so different. And that makes in my eyes both models so interesting, both are great cars in their own way, both have their advantages and disadvantages. The Scuderia does not weaken the F430, it shows how great the F430 is. Both are valuable in my eyes, certainly to some extent a matter of taste. And this car now delivers an exciting compromise, a F430 with a little Scuderia essence. Very interesting!

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  23. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Well... I have to point out one thing where Ferrari did (IMO), a cheap CF lookalike: The instrument cluster facia in the 360CS is actually just a thin CF overlay on top of the standard Modena aluminium one...

24. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Good point Mikael.

25. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    The original question is would this build constitute a premium.

The answer is only a smaller market of buyers are looking to buy an F430 with those options. They would appreciate the parts, but would they pay more? Not really, the overall condition, mileage & color determines the price, regardless of options.

Every buyer THINKS their car is worth more & EVER seller is the opposite. Those are the facts, just because people here SAY they would pay more is BS. They are not buyers, only speculators. How many classified ads here have positive comments with GLWS added?

Plus, it’s ludicrous to think It would EVER be worth more than a SCUD. Why? Because of rarely ordered high priced options? Then 360’s with sun roofs & sport seats should be worth MORE than a CS.

Years ago I had a highly modified Twin Turbo RX-7. When I sold it I stripped off all the performance parts, preferring to sell them separately. As an example I had Carbon racing seats & JDM Momo steering wheel.

The reality is, you can’t sell a car without seats & a steering wheel right? I may pay a couple extra hundred bucks for nice ones, but not the $4K more I got for them.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.