Just bought my first new Ferrari - 488 GTB - Spec Listed - Noise, Test Drive and First Impression | FerrariChat

Just bought my first new Ferrari - 488 GTB - Spec Listed - Noise, Test Drive and First Impression

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by CLP, Jan 18, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CLP

CLP Rookie

Jan 18, 2018
    Hi All

I read this forum all the time, but only just decided to finally join. Firstly, I'd like to thank many of you for your contribution over the years, I've read so many topics coinciding with my 3 previous used Ferrari purchases, seeking opinion and advice, without joining the conversation.

Yesterday, I went to see a 488 GTB after reluctantly considering and debating for months about N/A and 458, etc. etc. but thought 'I need to drive one'. All I can say, is WOW. Aside from the fact that I nearly SH*T myself when the dealer decided to use Race mode on a wet road and absolutely pushed this car around an English country lane, way harder than I ever would, the car drives fantastic. I was in love straight away.

My first impression was incredible. Yes, it's not got 'quite' the same noise as my 458, but it's not quiet by any means, and I quite like the whirling Turbo noise in the cabin - so I was won over. The car grips, even on wet roads it really grips - I put the car in wet mode and it was still incredible.

I went back the dealership to look at the 2016 Black 488 GTB @ 750 miles I had gone to buy/see, and the experience was so great I decided to buy my first new Ferrari. To me, this was very expensive and my first plunge. I wasn't nervous at all though, I just knew I wanted one and only my way!

I bought my first used Ferrari on my 30th birthday 3 years ago, a Cali 30 (fitting name) and then I bought a fantastic spec 458 (Rosso Red two tone Nero roof, black wheels - lots of carbon). Sadly I let the 458 Italia go just before they shot up at little, then I bought a Cali T - loved it, really high spec car (most options), but I missed the 458 considerably. Moving from a 458 to a T was a bad move, as I've never really appreciated my T, continuously comparing it to my 458 - sometimes you have to learn from your own experiences, but the one good thing to come of this is that I wanted to check out the 488 GTB.

So the move to a 488 was the desire to not go backwards to a 458 but wanted to move forward from my T. It's an almighty jump forwards in my opinion. Despite being very nervous about the N/A argument, I really can say that I love the 488. It looks better, it drives brilliantly, it's insanely quick - I'm totally in love.

So, anyway, I did it. Sat there and built my first new Ferrari, with my wife too, and decided that I wasn't going to hold back - I'm going to do everything I want, because 'why not'. So despite costing £266k I'm pretty elated and today there is no buyers remorse, just pure excitement like a kid at Christmas. Not even bothered about depreciation, because it's *my* car and I have no plans to realise that deprecation for some time. You only live once, and if this is my only go at buying a new Ferrari, I wanted to do it my way without worrying about anything - just enjoy the experience and the excitement. I also managed to get a Summer build slot, so delivery will be later Aug/early Sept.

I opted for the GTB as I love the shape, I got the Blu Corsa with Nero Roof, and Black wheels.

So here it is:

Special colour Blu Corsa
    Scuderia Ferrari shields on fenders
    Giallo Modena brake callipers
    Outer and Inner electrochromic mirrors
    Sport exhaust pipes
    Yellow rev counter
    Embroidered prancing horse on headrests
    Premium HiFi system
    Front parking sensors
    Goldrake carbon fibre racing seat
    Carbon fibre exterior package
    Rear Parking Camera
    Carbon fibre wheel caps
    Two tone exterior painting
    Colour upon request for special contrasting stitching
    Carbon fibre sport package
    Carbon fibre outer sill kick
    Carbon fibre upper tunnel
    Leather and Alcantara® Interior Trim
    20" Matt Grigio Corsa painted forged wheels
    Azzuro Santorini Stripe In The Racing Seat
    Azzuro Santorini On Racing Seat
    Gloss Black Paint for Wheels

Hope you like it - and if anyone hasn't test driven a 488 yet - you gotta do it, it's great.

I've uploaded a pic but the colour isn't 100% as the Blu Corsa wasn't on the system - give you the idea!

Very excited!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Loved your story and the car is simply stunning and you have some time to make changes. Just wondering if you considered functional options such as the racing seat lifter, AFS and suspension lifter (all of which I choose BTW on my TBD 488 GTB). Regardless, thanks for your post; I appreciate the excitement and comparison as I traded a 2013 Italia and have had moments of "did I do the right thing". Good luck!

3. CLP

CLP Rookie

Jan 18, 2018

Hey Viperjoe - I have asked the dealer about AFS, Suspension lift. I'm 6'2 and don't care one bit about the seat lifter, never needed it before - but do you think these three things will hurt my resale?

I've actually asked the dealer today these questions too! Thank you for your comment

4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I do not believe that resale value will be effected significantly, if at all.

I'm 6'0" but for me the seat lifter will provide for minor seating position changes to provide continued comfort on longer drives. I tried it on an 812 and liked the functionality.

In the NE US when the roads are far less than great, the suspension lifter is a must have (my 458 did not have it and I regretted it). AFS is required in conjunction with the suspension lifter so that's that. There's no shortage of opinions on this forum regarding the usefulness of the suspension lifter, but based upon my personal experience and locale, it's a must have.

Chux360 likes this.
  5. CLP

CLP Rookie

Jan 18, 2018
    Thank you Viperjoe - Will look at this a bit more closely. Costs are mounting, but will explore these carefully. Again, thank you - hope you get your car soon!

6. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I spec-ed my car with most every functional option, alloy wheels, race seats, leather, etc., but no CF (simply not my style). As such, cost containment was an inherent by-product. In that CF options elevate costs rather dramatically, I understand your position.

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Congrats. Just saw your profile in that business journal, very inspiring. Good call about not sticking to law school. Lawyers spend all day trying to figure out how to make money like their business owner clients... ;)

8. CLP

CLP Rookie

Jan 18, 2018
    So much for thinking I was being discreet - Just removed my name!
    Thank you though, yes, things happen for a reason sometimes!

Anyway, some lawyers make great money (far more than me), but that's more in the USA - so you're fine :)

9. CLP

CLP Rookie

Jan 18, 2018
    OK - So I took some advice and changed my spec!

+ Carbon Engine Bay Cover
    + AFS System
    + Suspension Lifter
    + Seat Lifter
    + Azzuro Santorini Recessed Perimeter Seat Piping
    + Azzuro Santorini Stitched Floor Matts
    + Alcantara Headlining

List £277,625

Pretty 'heavy' GTB now!

AK488 likes this.
  10. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Good specs! Enjoy the car and post some pictures when you receive it.

11. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great story, great car. Well done.

12. CLP

CLP Rookie

Jan 18, 2018

My final production photo! Have to say, I think it looks pretty awesome!

13. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    looks awesome.

14. CLP

CLP Rookie

Jan 18, 2018
    Thank you - was a gamble going for Blu Corsa on the GTB but with the black contrast, thought it would look great. Think I was right!

Can't wait to see in real life :D

15. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Yes it does ! I also ordered the plastic hanging off the headlamps too. :)

16. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    Looks incredible - congratulations!

17. JW Keston

JW Keston Rookie

Jun 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    James Wallington
    This really was a super post - thank you for taking the time to write it. Ive been back and forth on the whole 488 vs 458 N/A for too long.
    like you I drove the 488 and it’s an incredible machine. Don’t have the means that you do to buy new but 2017, 3,500 miles for £30k down and £1,150 doesn’t feel too spiteful so think I’m going to go for it.
    This post helped clarify the thought process - so many thanks

18. FerrariCT

FerrariCT Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Cape Town
    I own a 2013 458 Italia with great specs . Love it . Had it 2 years . Now feeling very itchy and confused as I test drove a 488 on the weekend. They have come down in price and the 458 so there’s not too much to top up for the 488. I’m in two minds but veering towards trading in for the 488 . Any advice ? It’s wonderful first world problem but jeesh it’s difficult . Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat