512TR vs TR suspension | FerrariChat

512TR vs TR suspension

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JohnMH, Mar 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    In a recent edition of Forza one of the editors made some comparison of the 512TR and the original TR. The stiffer and more 'sporty' suspension of the 512TR was preferred. My TR is a bit soft for spirited driving - I note the part numbers for shocks and springs differ, but otherwise the suspension arms and shock mounts look the same.

Would 512TR shocks and springs bolt on to a late serial number Testarossa?

2. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I am no expert but I think you will find a lot of useful information fro post #3 here:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/testarossa-to-512tr-differences.307199/

Chassis- Up front, the chassis frame was strengthened around specific points; for example, the steering rack mounts and the front suspension mounts. Highly stressed frame pieces are made of special chromium-molybdenum steel. At the rear, the old engine sub frame has been done away with. To gain a noticeable increase in stiffness, the rear frame was made an integral part of the entire chassis. The engine is now lifted out from above. Around the passenger compartment, the steel platform, rear bench, front and rear firewalls, and pillars are all welded directly to the tubes of the chassis. End result is that chassis flex has been reduced by 25% and torsional rigidity has been increased by 12.5%. Other chassis specifics as noted by Ferrari:
    1. Weight reduction of 40kg/88lbs;
    2. Lower center of gravity;
    3. Reduction of unsprung weight;
    4. Steering points in aluminum alloy;
    5. New steering column shaft design;
    6. New steering rack with longer arms and more direct ratios;
    7. New steering moment offset;
    8. Bilstein gas shock absorbers with aluminum body and adjustable plate;
    9. New shock absorber settings;
    10. Lighter weight springs.

Shamile likes this.
  3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Looks to me that you can bolt those 512TR parts on a Testa ... but also take 512TR brakes then.

Brakes of Testarossa are one of the very weak points and therefor changed to the 512TR brakes (although not Brembo).

4. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    Koni can rebuild your shocks and there are companies out there that can add adjustable collars and different spring rates so you can adjust the ride height. Koenig used to make a sway bar upgrade kit but I'm not sure they still do. Due to the upgrades to the 512 TR chassis a Testarossa most likely could never match the handling of a TR. Energy Suspension does make a polyurethane kit for testarossa's but I would want to talk to people who have done that upgrade first and see how they like them before I did it. I had a Brembo front and rear kit on my last Testarossa and they were a major improvement......and they look great behind 18" wheels.

5. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Thanks, I suspect that a properly refurbished stock set of dampers with a complete set of fresh bushings on all four corners will be about as good as I can practically get it. I suspect that over time the springs have sacked out a bit, hence the softness. Replacing them might improve things, but I doubt OEM replacements exist anymore and I cannot guess the original rates to have new ones made. I agree on the brakes, but rebuilt calipers, fresh pads, braided lines, new fluid and a new OEM master means I probably cannot improve the stock system much. While not capable of repeated hard stops, I don't track the car so they work (and look) fine.

6. dontilgon

dontilgon Formula Junior

May 30, 2011
    NY/PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Note that there were rear springs along with front and rear shock absorber upgrade (change)on later 512TR

7. Casmith

Casmith Rookie

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Craig Smith
    Could you tell me roughly how much it is to have the Koni shocks rebuilt all round? Likewise for the polyurethane kit. I'm about to do my Testarossa suspension and looking for options. Thanks!

DeLotus likes this.
  8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I would be cautious on the polyurethane! It is harsher and hard on suspension pick up points.

Shamile likes this.
  9. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    I don't recall the pricing on it since its been a number of years. I would contact Koni directly for pricing. As for the poly bushings, I would advise finding factory rubber replacements. Unless you're planning on a lot of track events I think you'll be happier with rubber bushings.....just my .02 cents.

Casmith likes this.
  10. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    It's about $500 per shock to have it rebuilt, new bushings and painted. That was from performance shock on Sonoma.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Casmith likes this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Melvok- sold my TR and want my dream 512 in a few months. It is a much better car right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I rebuilt mine at Koni U.S. a few years ago, cost was pretty reasonable and they came back looking new. All new bushings at the same time, the OEM rubber ones made it feel ride without any clunks. Comfortable but a bit soft. Hence the 512 question. All the extra bracing is probably a major factor in why my friend’s 92 512TR feels more modern than my 91TR. My TR seems to have more bottom end, his more rev (and max power). I like his steering better. Less rubbery, more feedback. There are only 2 little alloy clamps which hold the TR rack in place against some frame tubes, flex would not surprise me.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Between the upgraded diff, wheels,lowe center gravity, the extra ponies the 512 is better...whilst in Europe they make financial sense i am less sure here in the USA... i mean u get a good tr with miles at around 100k; a 512 for 200k...
    Not sure its worth it but i do want one and keep it forever for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

No one has mentioned putting the 18" 512 wheels on the Testarossa which, I have been told, stiffens the ride up considerably. I know when I went from a 14" wheel to a 16" on my 308 it is was like driving a different car.

turbo-joe likes this.
  15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the balloon tires of the earlier ferraris were part of the suspension package !
    i have 3 sets of wheels for my bbi, and one of them is a 17" rim with sticky new rubber, and the handling is completely transformed when i use those.

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what tire size you have front and rear?