930 Turbo Carrera | Page 311 | FerrariChat

930 Turbo Carrera

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by joe sackey, Nov 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdwinelover

rdwinelover Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I ask my wife every day, has my book arrived yet! Can’t wait till it arrives.

2. rdwinelover

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
  3. mrar

mrar Karting

Jul 23, 2014
    australia
    Yeah, still patiently waiting over here too...........

4. Shlobeck

Shlobeck Karting

Jul 9, 2012
    Hey Rich, Yes the CA DMV reissued these “black plates” a few years ago and many cars have them now. I believe this car was featured in Porsche’s decades of disruption video and is VIN 9306800086, sample interior/sample exterior, paint code (132) per the Turbo 3.0 liter book. Very nice example indeed, shrouded in vintage p-7s. “The Bible” as I like to call it, is the ultimate resource for the 3.0 liter turbo and makes every other book on the subject obsolete. The detail and specificity is astonishing, I keep cross referencing the production data over and over. This book is equal to the quality and craftsmanship that went into the design, testing and production of these incredible cars. A true history into one of Porsche’s most influence cars. Ryan, thank you for this masterpiece as I will cherish it for a lifetime. Regards Tony

5. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    Porsche of Boise must have already received Ryan's Publishers edition...very cool period video (or should I say film, likely shot w/ 35mm or 16mm).

Introducing the Turbo Carrera Porsche Audi '76

hyenahf and E_Man like this.
  6. jb21

jb21 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    This has been bugging me. on close inspection I notice a Ruf tach and a boost gauge in the wrong place. Are they original factory mods too? Did all three Le Mans drivers get one? I have a lot of questions. It's either deal of the year or there is some info missing.

But even so, how bad would it have to be not to be worth $104k on sum of the parts alone?

7. jb21

jb21 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    And on consulting Ryan's bible I notice there is a gap in the '77 chassis numbers published, between numbers 543 and 586. The Gooding Haywood car is shown as 567. Which is curious. Anyone have an answer?

8. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yes they did.

9. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    See right hand column on p493.

From all the notes I could find, 9307700567 did not leave the factory with the go fast goodies, and was likely added by Brumos or other later in life. I wasn't at Amelia this year, so can't comment, but I think it was still a good buy. Lots of detail issues from looking at the photos: shift knob wrong, wrong headliner, dashboard appears to be incorrect stitching, Fuchs wrong, center console never had wide buttons, etc, etc. The boost dial and control was likely added later. Still, at that price I would have bought that car had I been there in purpose unless there was rust issues or other very difficult to correct details.

cebeturbo77 and 375+ like this.
  10. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    One other interesting note from p493 is the distributor is listed as UA for Culver City, CA - opposite coast from Brumos. I'm not sure why the auction did not post scans of the Hurley Haywood letters and e-mails. If the boost gauge is original, it would be quite easy to pop it out and photograph the date stamp but I agree with you, probably added later.

11. jb21

jb21 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    Ha! Sorry, Ryan. You threw me with the two columns a page. Congratulations to the buyer. Details notwithstanding, this certainly serves as encouragement to start looking more closely for value at auctions again!

12. Turbo owner

Turbo owner Rookie

Oct 19, 2015
    It looks like it has rally set-up on the suspension, mine have been lowered to the point I can barely get a low profile jack under them.

13. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
  14. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    1977 Turbo Carrera, Chassis # 9307800436 to be auctioned at RM auctions, Apr 7, 2018. The auction description states silver with lobster interior and even though computer monitor screens are not ideal to determine colors, it looked to me like light red - code 95 vs. lobster. Ryan’s book confirms light red, just 1 of 14, 1977 RoW & U.S. Turbos in silver w/ light red interior. The distributor was Import Motors, Grand Rapids, Michigan.

It’s unfortunate that the Turbo Carrera badges are reversed and the rear wiper is set to the incorrect position…easy fixes but a lack of attention to detail.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/FL18/Fort-Lauderdale/lots/r0283-1977-porsche-911-turbo-carrera/653581

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    Using the “Bible”…ref. 1976 Turbo, chassis # 9306700029, Emerald Green metallic that was previously for sale in 2016 at Worldwide Autos in Denver, CO. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/144769555/ and subsequently re-listed for sale in Germany. This 1976 Turbo was delivered without shark fins and had special velour interior panels and door pockets in leather.

I noticed that this same Turbo was previously featured in May & June 2015 RMR Newsletters where the car was restored with a few mods that were later removed prior to the 2016 sale.

https://rmr.pca.org/newsletters/may_2015.pdf

https://rmr.pca.org/newsletters/june_2015.pdf

The engine photos show the unique 930/50 air box that has the early clips but the oil breather line was fitted to the left-side. Also notice the unique mark on the air intake housing on the RMR and Worldwide photos (indicating this was the same car). Since the car was completely restored, we might not be able to use this example to determine if the far left alternator decal is correct for the 9/75 completion date.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    Also of note, #0029 was the first 1976 model year Emerald Green Metallic delivery and the interior was “64”, black leather with Dress MacKenzie tartan (vs. Black Watch tartan as restored). The leather door pockets are original (or restored correct) per Ryan's production data but it appears to have been restored with standard leather vs. velour interior panels. The top of the rear parcel shelf was restored in cloth but unknown if this is the correct velour as delivered.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. rdwinelover

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Incredible information Rich. It's a game changer that cars can be tracked like this one above is via Ryan's book. Instead of spending $125 on a COA from Porsche, just put the money towards the book!

375+ likes this.
  18. rdwinelover

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
  19. rdwinelover

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    What sets Carolina Coach Crafters above the majority:

My headlight buckets were corroded and so they were blasted, primed and refinished.

I had no idea they were corroded...

These small things make all the difference to me and make it easy to spread the word about their work and send every future car I own to them for work.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Highway-Star

Highway-Star Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    How do you guys see an interior re-upholstery options on a '76 car:
    1) Does it make any sense, to use one of the kits for seats, like:
    https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/911M/POR_911M_INTSTS_pg7.htm

- what is the end-result going to be like - in terms of originality - fit and finish - provided that a professional does the fitting ?
    - are there differences - perhaps good kits, and bad kits?

2) Or is it better to do from scratch ... ie. professionals manufacture everything by hand?
    - is it possible to purchase correct leather somewhere?

My '76 has originally regular black leather seats, but an earlier owner has fabricated red-color theme. Think original leather is underneath, could even be in a neat shape, as I can see a bit of black leather behind red carpet. Seats have zero sagging, low miles (just over 40k mls).

Just wondering where to go, but I'd like original black interior, and want it correct.

Thanks!

21. pu911

pu911 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2012
    Bozeman, MT
    Full Name:
    Phil Ulrich
    That carpet is certainly not correct

22. simon930Berlin

simon930Berlin Karting

Apr 25, 2013
  23. tonypeoni

tonypeoni Karting

Aug 14, 2006
    Am I wrong in thinking that this market value estimation looks light..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
  25. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yes, Light Yellow 9305700168 exists here in the USA. I'm not sure whether this model was really patterned after it though. Note the details on model like the prototype front spoiler (as seen on the 1975 brochure) and the "PORSCHE" stripe is solid from a 1974 model, unlike the 1975 version which had hatches.