Corsa Clienti @ Road Atlanta | FerrariChat

Corsa Clienti @ Road Atlanta

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by trumpet77, Mar 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I'm just a fan of Ferrari and wanted to share this photo from Road Atlanta taken today. My son is at a NASA HPDE and heard rumors of an F1 team doing testing next week, but of course that would be impossible. It's just the set-up for a Corsa Clienti program at Road Atlanta.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    "... rumors of an F1 team doing testing next week...".

Well, that's about how CC sells it to their "test" drivers!

CW

3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I will be there!

trumpet77 likes this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  5. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  6. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
  7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Thank you posting that pic. I wish I could go to this. I saw them run at Daytona back at Finale and it was the most incredible automotive thing I've ever seen.

Manda racing likes this.
  8. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
  9. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    1:01.2 lap in a 2003 F1 car!

NürScud likes this.
  10. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    [​IMG]
    Saw a photo on Facebook that someone drove a Schumacher Ferrari into the gravel, then scraped the wall at the bridge

Manda racing likes this.
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    No, that was yesterday, right near the end of the day's last session, around 5 PM. I understand that the car and driver were okay and were expected to be running today.

trumpet77 likes this.
  13. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Thanks for filling in the details BMW.SauberF1Team and Garorrari. I missed the other thread here about the event.

14. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  15. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    It was a great event!

NürScud likes this.
  16. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA

Looks like fun..but not as much fun as running with AER? Are you guys going to race with us at the Glenn?

17. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    Nice! I ran against you at AER. :p

18. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I was in 982. (Random Vandals E46 m3)....what car were you in?

19. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    I drive with Casey Carden Motorsports in their Miatas. Was in the 215 car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Unfortunately we can't make that event - the timing conflicts :( We're both disappointed, but we should be joining an event later in the year -- with tires which will last an entire race this time.

21. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Ohh...I might steal those tires:). We were on RE71's, just made it.

Should have my 458C out next week, but that will be on the appropriate slicks:)

22. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    An update: we ran our 458 Challenge for both 9-hour AER races at Calabogie last weekend. We used Hankook Ventus RS4s on the stock 458CH wheels, 245 fronts and 305 rears. Calabogie is a very abrasive surface (not just for us, for all the competitors) and tire strategy was an important part of the races.

On the first day we ran a single set of tires for the entire 9-hour race; it rained hard for 45 minutes of the race and was damp for another hour. The tires worked for the entire race, but the left front was completely worn out on the inside treat by the end of the race. The car had picked up a significant push, but was still driveable.

On the second day there was no rain and the ambient temps were 32C. We elected to put on a new set of tires at the halfway point of the race (4.5 hours, ~500km) because of the additional heat and the lack of rain. The change was worth it - the lap time gain we saw on new tires compensated for the 3 minutes spent in the tire swap, and in addition we did not need to worry about cording the tire late in the race.

The Hankook's are down on grip compared to the Dunlop D* Direzzas used by our competitors, but they lasted substantially longer, and they worked (much) better in the wet conditions - I picked up 3 secs/lap during the wet periods on track compared to the other fastest cars on track.

Finally, it is worth noting that our Ferrari 458CH did not hiccup once in either race; it was happy to be driven for 1h20 at a time, over and over, for 9 hours. 2nd and 3rd place cars both had mechanical failures in the Sunday race and dropped out. The Ferrari is simply bulletproof, and at ~27,000km of track driving and climbing, she continues to run lap after lap. We love all our Ferraris, but we particularly love our 458CH.

23. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    I heard you all had a good run up there. Congrats.

We ran Dunlop’s on our MX-5 at WRL Road Atlanta and won’t run them again. One 9 Hour race and they were absolutely destroyed. We switched back to Michelin on Sunday. We ran those in Daytona as well. Different car and weight than a Ferrari but yes they gripped well then fell off and then fell apart.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Dear lord. That top tire didn't start out as a slick, did it? :eek:

The Hankook's really worked fine for us. They are very consistent - it's hard to overheat them even if you try, and if you run a tidy lap and limit slip angle on both ends, they just last and last. It hurt a bit giving up ground in the corners on the early laps, but after three hours everyone else was sliding around and getting sideways, and our car was only a second a lap down from its first-hour pace, and balance was still the same. That makes it a great long-endurance tire for our 458.

25. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    Nope! haha They were brand new Dunlops.

Consistency is very good, that's good to hear the Hankooks worked well we've been hearing positive comments towards them. The only Hankooks I've ran on were the slicks they use in the 24H Series. They were consistent even as slicks, you could overheat them but if you backed off a lap or so you'd get the grip back.