Life on Mars & organized religion | FerrariChat

Life on Mars & organized religion

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think this is going to become a HUGE controversy. I am sure that if the robots find hard evidence of life on Mars the President will be speaking with religious leaders before releasing this to the public. I wonder what the Vatican will say ? WIll the fundamentalsit Muslims launch a Jihad against Martians ? :) What about Adam & Eve ?

2. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto

wooo wooo Don't you mean Adam and Steve..........

Sorry couldn't help that

3. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    But seriously

You are right existence of life on another planet that seems to not be of "Divine" intervention would kind of throw a few MORE contradictions into the creationist side (not that they don't have enough contradictions already)

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Nah, the christians already overlook zillions on contradictions already.
    What makes you think one more will change anything?

5. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Kind of my point

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I would guess the phrase: "Not of this Earth" will make a huge comeback.

DL

7. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Depends on weather the Martians are Christians or not;

According to my uncle in Texas, who has it on "good authority" (lots of Jack Daniels and a few books..):

Space aliens (white folks, of course) populated the Earth, with 'other' folks put here to serve us; then evey now and then, these aliens come back to earth and do an 'upgrade' on us white folks, which explains (to his satisfaction anyway) why civilization goes through plateaus of zero advancement only to suddenly have a spurt of technology (think stone age -> bronze age -> age of 'enlightenment' -> industrial age -> and modern times of the last 100 years, when for example, my Grandmother moved to New Mexico in a covered wagon because thats all there was but visited us via jet just before she died).

The Hubble telescope can now see to within 730 million light years of the 'big bang'. If some form of life is found to exist, or have existed, on Mars, there will be a lot of 'soul searching' going on!!

By the way, I believe my uncle's theory is nuts!

8. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    Is someone trying to say Martians don't believe in the Lord Jesus Christ? Just kidding. I can see the press now" Jesus was from Mars!"

9. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Already a headline in the Weekly World News......

Well given how Evangelical lots of these folks can be on all sides you can be guaranteed if there is life on mars and it has money the Benny Hin's of the world will find a way to get there, if only to make sure that money helps them spread the word.....

10. Il'inglese

Il'inglese Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    I dont get it? Why would there be any controversy? At least for Jews, Christians and Muslims what part of the Universe did God not create?

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Mel Gibson just sent a communique to NASA enquiring as to when the first multiscreen is to be opened.

DL

12. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I think it would be naive to think were the only planet with any kind of life on it.There's too much out there for it not to have happened anywhere else.

13. Tom Larkins

Tom Larkins Formula Junior

Yeah, I can see it now.

Hundreds of anti-christian groups claim; "A God doesn't exist and we can prove it" However they can't agree about which theory they want to use and can't agree if these events took place between 500,000 & 500 million years ago ! What accuracy.

Rom 1:22

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    makes me think of that movie 'mission to mars' where the martians decide their planet is kaput and move their population to earth....maybe.

there certainly is a lot more going on in egyptian history than has been explained thoroughly; for example, where did the civilization come from that carved the sphynx's body 10,000 years ago (the head was recarved to resemble the pharoah of the day only 4,000 years ago)? what about the story that the pharoah who built the pyramids did so based on instructions to open the black box that had been passed down for generations unopened, and when he opened it, all the plans were there and the secret to building the thing so perfectly. then how come the whole giza plain and all the structures are in perfect astrological order, but in the way the stars were lined up from earth's perspective 10,000 years ago.....?

combine that with some of the stuff that they have discovered in iraq (but haven't been able to pursue for the last 30 years) pertaining to a city that was judged to be 10,000 years old, and was throwing the whole 'spread of civilization from the fertile crescent' clock out of whack. or the underwater cities discovered off the west coast of india, also dated ......(yes you guessed it) 10,000 years ago.

all that stuff makes you wonder just how much is coincidence and how much is a whole different story that we haven't discovered yet. there certainly was something going on in 8,000 bc that we are not fully aware of. may have nothing to do with mars given that the planet hasn't had water for far longer than that, but anyway food for thought........

15. reinerkaiser

reinerkaiser Karting

Nov 25, 2003
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Reiner Kaiser
    W Hubbell is right on the money! This issue DOES create a huge problem
    for organized religion. Once again manking is moved even further away from the center of the world and gods attention. Well if we are just one of a billion of civilizations, what is the purpose of sending his (only) kid down here so WE can be saved? Did he send one of his kids to ALL planets?

Anyways, now of course the next burning question is,
    are there fossils of any kind, buried somewhere in an ancient riverbed
    on Mars, maybe in one of these huge canyons that stretch for hundreds
    of miles? Why didn't Nasa land there?

Or land nearby, then hike down with the little machine?
    Surely that would have been even more interesting!!!
    I cannot even begin to imagine what these fossils would look like?
    How fantastic it would be to find them!!!

Now we HAVE to send humans there to explore!

16. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    I agree and oftened wondered what would happen if life was found elsewhere what would organized religion claim. I could see almost hysteria in some regards because the earth and its people are supposed to be the only ones and created by God. The center of the universe is what we supposedly are. But this thing we call space is way to vast way to large. To think there is no other life somewhere on some other planet is just crazy. If we exist surely some distant planet has some life as well. I think you have to be open minded to that but that will just tear apart what these religions have told us for years and years.

17. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    They will just say "the devil planted it there to mess with our faith"
    Damn Devil.

18. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    And will promptly send missionaries there to convert them...

19. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Here in Colorado Springs, the buckle of the Bible belt, there is a very large congregation that teaches, among other things: the earth is only 5000 years old; the Grand Canyon was formed in 5 days as Noah's flood waters receded; Dinosaurs arn't mentioned in the Book of Genesis because they never existed (fosils were palced on earth by the Devil to fool man) - or, if they did exist, it was concurent with man and men hunted them out of existance; that one day the 'saved' will be beamed to Heaven leaving the rest of us 'Left Behind' ... and so on.

No matter what science discovers in the future, some folks will never believe hard proof (the 'what are you gong to believe - your own eyes or me?" syndrom).

There were some extremely advanced ancient technologies, especially in Egypt, that seem to have just halted, with great strides in science and technology slowing to a stand still.

'Modern' man is probably 50k years old, but with little social structure until just a few thousand years B.C.

And its only been the last 100 years of man's existance that we: went from horses to cars capable of 200+ mph; went from Kitty Hawk to the Moon; from leaches to transplants; from Pony Express to cellur phones and e-mail; from the abucus to mainframe computers; from stage to film to TV; from telegraph lines to radio; from cannons to laser guided missles capable of hitting a target 5000 miles away; to eradicating disease; to crossing the Atlantic in hours, not months; from 'Buffalo gals' to 'Dark Side of the Moon'....and so on.

It does seem odd that man has evolved more in the 100 years since 1900 than the previous 5,000 years combined.

20. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think that humanity just reached a critical mass of population & old technologies that propelled us forward in the great technological leap of the last 200 years. When you have 6 Billion people you are bound to have a lot more geniuses & sharp business people & inventors to get things done than when the pop is just 10 million or so

21. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I just heard that the biggest grossing film on Mars last week is a movie
    called "The Passion of the Zgyxblot"

22. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Exactly! William i do not see any confrontation between belief in god and life out in the universe. I am a firm believer in God, the CREATOR, and in life somewhere out there in space. Was it the 6th day that god created the heavens? I do not know how you can look up in the sky some night at the wonder out there and then doubt that there is an all powerful creator. As far as some wacko sect who cares what they think. Are we ever gonna here mitch in favor of anything?
    God has created a huge playground for us to explore and by so doing fulfill our potential.
    T

23. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Some religions are much better equipped to handle the discovery of ETs bcus they have accepted ETs for millenia. Buddhism for instance accepts that there exist ET life throughout the Universe. Some Buddhists even believe that the entire universe is a living sentient superbeing :)

24. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    ETs will probably say our missionaries taste like chicken :)

25. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

"that the entire universe is a living sentient superbeing"

I took several little purple pills in the late 1970's that led to discussions such as this.