4 Post Lift Being Installed For F430 Spider Urgent Question | FerrariChat

4 Post Lift Being Installed For F430 Spider Urgent Question

Discussion in '360/430' started by Josh P, Mar 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Josh P

Josh P Karting

Hey all,

In preparation for my baby's arrival (F430 Spider), I am having a 4 post lift installed this weekend. Unfortunately, the car is still a few weeks away from being delivered. The installers are asking if I will need to purchase the additional low profile race ramps (https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/garage-and-service-ramps/rack-ramps/). Does anyone know if these will be required? Or can anyone measure the ground clearance and how far it is from front center to the front of the front wheels?

2. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Depends on your life to be honest. I've been on lifts where they clear, but, i've also seen some that don't look like they'll clear.

Personally, i'd just order them. Since if you plan on lowering at any point in the future, you'll likely need to use blocks otherwise.

3. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    there has been no issues with the standard aluminum ramps provided with either of my lifts from two different manufacturers.

4. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Yes you do. My lift has the regular ramps and I always have to add some extra 2x4's to easy the angle without touching bottoming out.

5. Speed doc

Speed doc Rookie

Aug 23, 2014
    GA
  6. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Interesting...the 430 must be lower than the 360. Standard ramps work fine for my car.

7. PGI

PGI Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I have the Race Rack HN20-5 for my Direct-Lift lift. My 360 and my friend's 430 fit fine with the original steel ramps provided by Direct-Lift. Very heavy. Race Rack's polystyrene ramps are feather light.

8. Josh P

Josh P Karting

Thank you everyone.

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    My Bendpak works fine for my 360 with standard ramps.

10. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    There is 2 types of F430 owners.
    Those who have scuffed their front end & Those that Will...

I have a Challenger 4 post & it rubs slightly with the Aluminum Ramps that came with it, on my 430, C5 Vette (02) & my C7 Vette (14)... the C2 (64) & C3 (68) do not.
    They all rubbed ever so slightly and going slow I hadn't noticed any scratches.

Solutions to fix are to put something 1 inch in height beneath the ramp, gives a bit of a lip to overcome but isn't real difficult, but it changes the angle just enough.

Another difference can be if your ramps hang out of a garage as that increases the incline. Mine do just a little bit & my driveway is angled...

11. naughtynori

naughtynori Rookie

Sep 13, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Nori
  12. Josh P

Josh P Karting

Got the race ramps to be safe. Glad I did already and I'm still waiting for the car to arrive. They are 10 pounds vs the 40 pound ramps that came with the lift.

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I never understood the interest in weight for ramps. The stock ramps on my lift pivot down when the lift goes up so they clear the garage door. Since I never have to pick them up what do I care about 30 lb more or less? I get that it sounds cool but does it really make a difference and if so, what? I do get it if you have to install and remove the ramps every time you want to get the car out.

14. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    Those steel ramps are heavy AF. I got the aluminum ones for sure - the garage where I have my lift is fairly short so the ramps have to extend out anyway. But regardless, I would have still gone with the lighter ones to put less stress on the pivot point.

15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The ramps are held by a steel rod approx. 1/2" in diameter. I don't care how much those ramps weigh they aren't going to sheer that rod. So my question still stands. What difference does it make?

TAILWAG likes this.
  16. Josh P

Josh P Karting

The ramps for mine just had a tab that dropped into a slot. There was no hinged installation.

17. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    +1

18. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Do get the low profile ramps to go with the lift

19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yea, this is true on the extended ramps. Later today I will post some pics of the standard ramps on my Bendpak.

20. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    In hindsight I wish I had aluminum ramps, just for the weight savings.

21. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    OK, here is a pic of the pivot on my ramps. You can see that the front edge of the ramp is up slightly off the deck. I am pointing at the pivot, you can see it is large. The ramp is 31" from the pivot the end and drops down some when I raise the lift but sits flat when the lift is on the ground. I never take the ramps off, no need to do that. Unless you have to remove the ramps by hand the difference of a few lb doesn't mean anything. It isn't like the lift is going to fail because the steel ramp weighs 20 lb (or whatever) more than the aluminum ramp.

22. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

Some people have lower cealings, they remove the ramps to fit another car underneath. Or garage isnt as deep so they can't clear their doors with the ramps on.

Personally I have no problem moving my 30 lb ramps when I need to take them off, other's opt for the aluminum. While Id take the aluminum ones I wasn't going to pay extra for them.

Everyone has different needs.