I'm in | Page 4 | FerrariChat

I'm in

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by scowman, Feb 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have bunches.
    I'm not sure about Finland, but I get them from Amazon or Ebay. Also marine supply has them.

2. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Ok, would you have a link or example (ID, description) that would help me in finding some?

Marine supply might be good, I thought they looked the same as many hood (fabric top) fasteners on boats! :)
    If I just find about the right colour (dark for a Red interior) and size it does not matter if they are not 100% accurate, as four of them will be hidden by the front seats anyways.

I made two parts orders from the UK, one from Superformance and one from Eurospares and was bit surprised, also the motor mount bolts to the block are "NLA". Mine are fine, but I thought I would replace them together with the 575 mounts etc.

I buy stuff from both Amazon and ebay all the time, not much, but some old stuff, also from the USA, Japan, AUS & NZ. Customs and taxes are a pain in here, but we are used to it, more or less. (VAT alone is 24%, but it's less than in Sweden or Denmark ;) But I prefer to buy from Europe if possible, so then it does not have to go through customs.

3. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Thanks that was good. Now that I know what I am looking for (the key words were "boat canvas fastener") I can find them cheap lalso locally, like €5,99 euros for a box of four fasterners: http://www.biltema.fi/fi/Veneily/Asennustarvikket/Suojapeite/Veneen-kuomun-kiinnike-4n-pakkaus-2000032464/

:)

That is a cheapo store in Finland and Sweden.

I thought they looked familiar, but i never had a boat myself, my late brother had one that for sure had similar fasteners all over the deck.

I guess the word from the Ferrari spare parts sources just means that parts for the 456/550/355/348 era are of no importance to Ferrari anymore so they are selling what they have and then it will all become "NLA".

I have had the feeling before that I am living in the wrong decade, or 5-10 years late! (with many things, like clothes, shoes, hifi stuff) Not just cars!

4. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    She passed inspection!

Not even close to failing! Now for a some line queuing at the tax office and she’ll be legal and I can really find out what shape she is in.

Attached Files:

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stu- She is really purring with those readings.

F11 likes this.
  6. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Pretty surprising considering she has not had a major in a very long time and has been pretty much un driven since 2015.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stu- You spoiled her enough with all the work you did that she is happy.

8. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    This is literally by overdue but congrats on the 456 purchase. I was hoping that car would be around a little longer (love the blue and crema combo, and of course the manual tranny and the v-12). A great buy even before the emission results.

9. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Thanks, I was fortunate he was willing to deal. The guy is more of a collector/trader than a dealer. The car is turning out ok. There is a bunch of deferred maintenance but nothing bank breaking so far.

10. Prit Singh

Prit Singh Karting

May 29, 2017
    London
    Congratulations great buy

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stu- That is the way it is with 456s and 456Ms. Unless she got a set of brass valve guides, most of the things needing fixing can be tackled as one or two small jobs at a time. The dash covering is usually the worst.

12. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Definitely needs a new dash covering. Going to be one of the last items.

13. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    So the 10 disc CD changer cartridge was full.

Here is the play list:

1. Drvin N Cryin: Fly Me Courageous
    2. SlugLord Presents: Detox, Etc.
    3. NWA: Straight Outta Compton
    4. Peal Jam: Live on Two Legs
    5. George Michael: Faith
    6. Michael Franti & Spearhead
    7. QTIP: The Rennisaince
    9. Widespread Panic: Barstools & Dreamers
    10. Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Il Tifoso likes this.
  14. rmfamily

rmfamily Rookie

Aug 6, 2017
    That is some road trip playlist!

Please post a photo of the part number of the cartridge when you have a moment. I need to purchase a replacement for my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    My baby had an accident:( Right rear corner flooded with ATF. Self leveling fluid reservoir was low when I got her. There was some small earlier leaking under left rear too. Thoughts on where to start?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Back there there's shock, hose, and bomb. Jack it and take the wheel off, all of those are pretty easy to see.

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stu- If you need to replace the self leveling accumulators, there is a BMW one that fits with a couple of washers. Hopefully it is just a hose leak.

18. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    And herein lies the revealed beauty of the compatible parts list sticky post. Worth the price of membership on this board the very first time you click on it!!!

As always, cheers, Taz.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  19. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    So I took the wheel off. It was quite the puddle underneath.

I took the upper access cover off. The top had a little old oil/dirt mix but no fresh oil. The shock shaft was drenched. The hose and the bomb looked clean.

So I am concluding it is the shock seal that gave way. I tried to get it to repeat but it would not perform on command. Shock bombs look stock based on the undercoating covering them. The car did a tour of duty in New York.

So it looks like it's time to rebuild the shocks and replace the bombs and whatever other items I don't want to change again. Bummer, she was just about to get her plates this week.

Oh well, better safe than sorry.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  20. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    well hmmm, good you caught it at the time you did and not out on some trip somewhere. I was going to ask, how's the radio?

21. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie

Attached Files:

22. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Radio is in bad shape. Not sure if I am going to scrap it or try to get it rebuilt.

23. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

I had mine rebuilt locally, but it included stripping the interior to get the operating panel and cable to go. The radio needed over a dozen capasitors to be replaced (the front channels amp) and the amp (rear channels) needed half a dozen of new capacitors. (In the iPod/iPhone and stereo upgrades thread). My rear woofers also needed new foam inserts, but all the tweeters were fine, I still opened and tested all of them, which meant dash out, but that was needed anyways as the a/c needed attention as well. (Repairs to the flaps and housing and a new thermal switch for the fans).

These beasts need a lot of attention but they also give a lot.

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

24. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Here you go. No other id numbers on any other of the surfaces.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

rmfamily likes this.