So Who Has Been Here the Longest - Without Ever Owning a Ferrari? | FerrariChat

So Who Has Been Here the Longest - Without Ever Owning a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Shark01, Mar 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I signed up nearly 13 years ago, and was lurking for a couple of years prior. Not for lack of trying...but because of my financial limitations (most of you can buy and sell me...and I think a few have), I only get a shot at a weekender every 7-8 years. No complaints, you can only go as far as your talent and a sprinkle of good luck can take you.

In 2005, really considered a 355 because they had just started going under $100k, but just wasn't ready to make the jump to a full exotic. So bought a Porsche 996 Turbo instead. Great car, put 55,000 miles on it in 8 years....got hammered on depreciation.

Over the 2013-2014 period was finally ready to take on a full exotic. Finally drove a 355 ($60k ask), but had more budget to work with. Drove a 430 as well as a Scuderia (which was the only one of the Ferraris to blow me away). Also drove a bunch of Lamborghinis and a Ford GT. Eventually migrated to wanting a classic as the prices started to explode in early 2014, and thought it may be the only chance. So I bought a 1999 Lamborghini Diablo Roadster over a 512 Boxer....OK, turned out to be the wrong decision financially but love the car I chose so no regrets and intend to own the car for a long time.

Getting ready to try again in the next 12-18 months. The Scuderia is front and center this time, want to check out an early 458 and a couple V12 cars (550, 599). A Huracan will be considered, along with something from McLaren (570S, 650S Spider).

2. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Joined almost 14 years ago and still haven’t pulled the trigger. I was a college student when I joined, then had to save to buy a few businesses, etc. Came very close to buying one recently but decided to wait it out a bit longer. I have learned so much from this site and even without one yet I have always enjoyed participating. For me it’s all about the journey and not the destination and I am thoroughly enjoying my extremely long journey to eventual ownership. :)

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Same here, but I joined shortly after you. I switched careers early and decided to go to medical school so blew savings on that. I have finished that and finally paid off that debt so now just slowly saving up.

Jana, G. Pepper, Shark01 and 2 others like this.
  4. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    15 yrs 19 weeks. Hopefully one day

iloveferrari, LARRYH, Jana and 5 others like this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It's just a matter of time, It just makes the enjoyment that much more sweeter when you pull the trigger. I have no doubt I will be congratulating you all in the future.

020147, G. Pepper, tomc and 1 other person like this.
  6. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Fwiw, I would have bought the diablo over the boxer as well.
    I think you will still do well with it, and it’s a very special car.

paulchua, Shark01 and G. Pepper like this.
  7. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I joined the day I bought my 456M. Lurked a bit beforehand, but not too long.

steved033, Jana and paulchua like this.
  8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Thanks, just wish I could have had both, and while Boxers have dropped $75k on the low end, still not enough to get anywhere close to the budget.

paulchua likes this.
  9. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Fchat was the first Ferrari and in fact forum (apart ever been on IT forums but that was for professional use) and I joined after I'd bought a Mondial.
    So I was in effect a virgin until I came here :eek::p

Texas Forever and paulchua like this.
  10. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I didn't join until after I bought my 360. I've moved on to a Huracan now but I love this place, so I'm sticking around. :)

11. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Joined 13 years 49 weeks ago. Come close to pulling the trigger but realistically the cars would have needed so much work to make right they would have ended up sitting in my garage for years and ultimately sold at a loss. Still working towards the dream but it doesn’t look like it will ever be a reality at this point. Doesn’t matter though, I have learned so much over the years my time here certainly has not been wasted.

paulchua likes this.
  12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I hope you will be able to cash in the dream at some point. With prices starting in the $30k area, I think there is a Ferrari for everyone with enough passion.....some may just require a $1,000 in tools and some repair manuals.

Ducman491 likes this.
  13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm the opposite.

Bought a 246 Dino GT in 1982. Joined in 2008.

Rob: where were you all those years? :)

Actually when I joined I was ordering an F430 and I stumbled here looking for images.

rampante550, 020147, LARRYH and 2 others like this.
  14. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have been here since 2004 I think and just bought a 95 F355 Berlinetta back in October. Its the one I had yearned after for many, many, years.

Shark01, do yourself a favor and forget about all those other cars and buy a Scud. That is clearly the car tugging at your heartstrings and all the others are just a distraction. Who cares about the financials? Its a life's dream.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Wife, accountant, creditors, Texas A&M, IRS.....etc :)

I can have the $200k dream car now, it just doesn't make financial sense yet....hence the 12-18 month window I mentioned. Really want to exhaust all the options before jumping aboard.

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Never owned one yet. Ex wife liked the Lotus better (such a bad idea). Maybe one day so many other cars out there.

17. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Corrected my incomprehensible sentence and would like to add I joined in September 2004 because my new to me, Mondial had a starting problem and I got some good answers as to what the issues were right here.
    I've met three from here in Dallas in 2014 and back sometime in the mid noughties whilst on vacation in LA another chap who had a 550 I think. A storyboard writer. His name I have completely forgotten :confused:

18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    And just like that, you punched the divorce button......with that kind of vision, you could start your own religion.

19. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    For clarification, can leasing a Ferrari can be considered the same as owning a Ferrari? Just asking for a friend, so he knows what to answer. :)

MalcQV likes this.
  20. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    Didn't start reading FChat until AFTER I bought my 355 almost 8 years ago. If I had been on FChat before purchase, based on all of the horror stories, I probably never would have considered a 355 - but it all turned out very well. Ignorance is bliss? Driving the car has certainly been pure bliss and I still love it!

Don't get me wrong. The Ferrarichat community has been a great asset over the years and the information found here has helped me through some of the inevitable "challenges" of ownership.

ShineKen likes this.
  21. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    It's as good as in my book. Don't care whether a person owns it outright, has a loan or Hire Purchase agreement or on lease. It matters little because however you do it you still have to pay for it. The only difference is one method means you might have to wait a while whilst you save :D

As with any forum about anything. You will never really hear "My valve guides did not leak today" or "My engine out service only cost me $400 because I did it myself". Actually you might hear the latter but not often as usually folk are asking for help. Look at the regulars and listen to what they have to say, these folk are the ones where you get a proper feel for the particular model.

I never looked at a Ferrari or car forum until I had bought my Mondial. Not the way I do it today though. These places are a gold mine of information regarding owning one.

22. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    8 years ago. Signed up when I was 20. Should've been on track to get into a 360 or 430 this year but quit my 'stable' job 18 months ago and started a business. Set me back a few years, but I'll be there soon enough! Maybe a 997 c4s next year and a 430 the year after that

NYC Fred, mvaldezf60 and MalcQV like this.
  23. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I don't know if I will ever own one. I still love the marque, but I feel as though my desire to own one is less.

rampante550 and Metastable like this.
  24. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott

I love my Lotus, doesn't mean I won't own a Ferrari but my Lotus is an absolute blast to drive.

25. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I am kind of the same way in regards to their road cars, but the Clienti thing I'm completely different on. After attending the Finali Mondiali in Daytona a little over a year ago, I wanted a Ferrari more than ever and specifically in that setting. Street driving doesn't do much for me as roads are garbage and dealing with other drivers is a headache. However, having your Ferrari shipped to renowned race tracks over the world and maintenance, tires, and fuel taken care of...wow. Plus those cars are incredible in person. Nothing compares to that experience imo.

U-Boat Commander and Wade like this.