When to sell your bikes and quit riding? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

When to sell your bikes and quit riding?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by arachnyd, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    most of the singles today are counterbalanced also the steel frame on a KTM tends to absorb more buzz than a thicker aluminium frame. Honestly the most buzzing you will feel will be from the DOT knobbys at speed on the pavement and out of balance wheels due to the rim locks.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Got me there. It has been a long time since I road a dirt bike, or any kind of motorcycle for that matter.

I'm thinking more of a lightweight "desert sled" play bike. Like maybe an old SL 350 with a bigger twin motor in it. Here's the thing, as I recall you used to race motocross. Well, I was one step before you. We used to race "scrambles" or TT. The most exotic thing running would be a Bully Taco, with maybe a CZ every know and then. I never got into jumping, but I loved to slide. The more crossed up the better. ;)

I'm guessing the Ducati Scrambler may be my best bet, but damn the muffler is ugly, and I don't do ugly.

3. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    Aftermarket exhausts are always fun to research...Arrow is first to come to mind (I love the look and sound of the full Ti system on my MV Agustsa Brutale)

4. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Go to a KTM or Husqvarna dealer and take a glance at there enduro models. One of the reasons I mentioned shorter suspension is that it makes the bike more fun to throw around and you don't need the 12 inches if you are not jumping. They come with electric start EFI and weigh less than 250 pounds.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Maybe a lowered Supermoto?

Although the 500 EXC looks cool.

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    That would be going in the wrong direction. A notary has 17 inch wheels so you are limited in tire choice. Motards are more of a street fighter not really suited for off road. On top of that the stiff suspension will make it miserable in rough terrain.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks. At 65, one thing I'm not interested in is miserable. A couple of years ago, I sold my 1970 Triumph Bonneville because I got tired of getting a proctology exam everything I road the damn thing.

8. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Damn man, you should have tried sneaking out for a ride without telling your proctologist.

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You know, when I was young and stupid (i'm now old and stupid), I would ride brit bikes and not think anything of it. In addition to the buzzing, I thought every motorcycle did the hula when you pushed it hard in the corners. But then, I got one of the first new Triumphs in 1995. Sumwitch! I never knew riding a bike would be so easy. Big fat tires. Big fat torque curve. Big fat handling in the corners without even a niggle. I just started riding the Turnip less and less.

10. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    When Huggie Seniors won't hold enough...errr...material.

Riding in the Bay area has become a selective process...mid-week, afternoons, highway 1...weekend's?
    Never.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    "There are plenty of good excuses to stay the hell away from high-performance motorcycles. Maybe your spouse has forbidden it, or you’ve done the math yourself and decided a cheap adrenaline rush isn’t worth the risk of debilitating injury.

But if you don’t mess with motorcycles, you’ll always be missing out on a distinct and mind-blowing vehicular experience.

The sensation of speed and excitement that an aggressively dialed motorcycle delivers blows a car out the water by such an incredible margin that the activities are hardly worth comparing. Doesn’t matter if it’s a hardcore dirt bike or high-powered sportbike, the story is the same.

It’s the deepest evolution of “person and machine as one” you can achieve without making yourself into a cyborg."

12. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    Well stated! Carving up corners and narrowing chicken strips makes life worth living....even at my ripe old age of 65....

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I sold all of my bikes a few years ago to buy my second Fcar. Ill get another one to put around on, but not as everyday transport.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The big issue today is dirverless cars in an era when we dont yet have autonomous cars.

Ak Jim and BoulderFCar like this.
  15. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    It was 2009. Sold my Honda RS125GP race bike, which had been sitting in the garage in a state of denial after I'd thrown in the towel on a motorcycle racing career the year previously. Six months later, my '08 CBR600RR was gone too and I moved interstate for grad school.

Two weeks ago, I bought another '08 CBR600RR, and had my first jaunt on a motorcycle in 8 years. Rode for 4 hours the day I picked it up, over 200 miles.

Learned more about myself in those four hours than any number in a therapist's office. A therapist couldn't tell me who I am. The bike could.

16. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I failed to ride one whole summer two years ago due to issues at home. That winter I sold the awesome bikes bc I thought it best to turn a page at 53.

For the last year now I am pining everyday to get back in the saddle, to hell with pragmatism.

17. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    It's why I won't sell mine. When a ride is all that'll scratch the itch....money isn't as important.

Alcav5 likes this.
  18. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

I just purchased a 1,300 mile one-owner perfect 2015 BMW S1000RR, from a 58 year old bloke.

I am not old. However, I am over the BIG 50.

Let's say I am 50+

It comes with a few old fart features - heated grips, cruise control, 450 pounds wet, and just 199 German Ponies.

Did I mention this is a fassssT motorcycle.

Fast for 21 y/o kids.

HooraaaaaaH :D

Devilsolsi and Texas Forever like this.
  19. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al

Like I said in my earlier post, I am looking to get back in (I must be between you and the bloke in age ;-) )
    So now my default search is Harley soft tail or new Ducati Diavel (had both before) - except I have read BMW's are a fav of a few pp. I wonder if I should consider one of those instead. Never rode one. I like old fart features, I like cushy ride, I like blazing fast for 2 pp.
    Congrats.

Texas Forever and ralfabco like this.
  20. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am actually getting interested in bikes again (not much to excite me anymore with cars), and am trying to convince my girlfriend that we should each get one. I showed her the Honda CTX700 DCT (she can ride it in auto mode, she does not want to shift anything) which I think would be a good fit for her. The bikes probably will not get that much use, but that has never stopped me before.

21. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio

This hits the nail on the head for me.

Count me in as one who’s considering getting a motorcycle again. Rode early BMW airheads and Ducatis in the 90s and early 00’s. Feeling the itch again as I recently rode my brother’s 80s vintage GPZ.

I find myself looking for a Ducati 851/888 SPx and/or even a Corsa. An 80s BMW Dakar bike would be interesting too. Certainly, newer bikes are more capable but don’t pull my heartstrings. Besides, the early 90s Ducati homologation bikes are more than capable for my track day skills and the twisties.

22. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    You like a cushy ride and still considering a Diavel? (again). Mine was rough, really rough. Was considering the X-diavel except heard the same about the suspension (no smoother than original Diavel) so went with a Panigale instead.

23. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I was told the Diavel X, nothing like the Diavel,,,, I test rode one and only a like more refined,,, no its going to be the Harley,, but I posted in another thread that I saw a ride I never saw before so I wonder if there is something new that might work... good problems to have

24. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Both my 2015 Diavel and Panigale ride beautifully, but my Diavel is cushier than my Panigale 959. The Diavel benefitted from having the static sag adjusted. I weigh 205 lb and IIRC, the factory sag was set for a significantly lighter rider.

Both bikes are for sale at Ferrari of Atlanta. I’m 51 yo and have been riding since age 13, but I’m giving up bikes due to fears about the number of distracted drivers on our roads. Definitely bummed but too much to lose. At least, I still have a Hayabusa engine in the Radical SR3 RSX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir