Would this scare you away? | FerrariChat

Would this scare you away?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Capone, Mar 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Capone

Capone Karting

Mar 29, 2005
    Midwest
    Undertray tab welding? Straighten panels?

I guess if it's repaired I'm not super worried. It's a TX car so no rust...

It's between this 18k mile 87 or a 50k mile 86.

I just want one I can drive.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Those tabs under my 87 are broken off too if they're the ones under the fuel pumps. Meh, they look flimsy anyway. Hard to tell what they needed to repair to the front underside though. Any 'before' pics?

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Can't speak to the tabs ..would need to understand more but the undertray up front on these cars get beat up normally..ask any Ferrari dealer or the person who will be doing your ppi ..I am sure they will say that it is common

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I would consider this one. This is the only nicely priced TR.
    I recently sold mine with 25k and service for around that price. They are all not selling and over priced. Either u wait for someone to lower their prices OR u buy this one...either way all tr sellers at 100+k are smoking crack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darkhorse575 likes this.
  5. Capone

Capone Karting

Mar 29, 2005
    Midwest
    So you know which car I'm talking about? The only other fear I have is "electrical "gremlins" but I sorted all of those on my 90' by cleaning all contacts with contact cleaner and a brush, let it sit three days, replaced all relays, and BOOM.....ran like a swiss clock.

How about the 86' single mirror with 50k miles?

6. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    I must been smoking crack lol I paid well over 100k but I feel good about it

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Urs is different: u have a rare color combo and not too many miles.
    I can assure u just by checking at autotrader and every source that a red/tan TR with 20-35k does not sell for 120like owners asked. They sit, sit and sit before being sold at more reasonable prices.
    Time capsule and rare color combo like urs do go for a premium.

8. Natkingcolebasket69

The tonkin one 86? I dont like the rims and some aftermarket stuff.
    For me the 87 should go for 90k
    The 86 u pay a premium because its an 86 but its negated by it’s mileage so no more than 80-85 to ME.
    The electric well Guido does a fuseboard for 750 on here so not that bad.
    What i dont know on both is the service history, state of clutch, diff things like that...
    The 87 just been serviced so should be leak free and if the diff was bad they “should” have seen it.
    My 2 cents

9. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Thanks for the kind words just giving u a hard time Hope u find ur 512 tr soon for summer

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Twins first;) 512 tr year end, but 160-170 is the max so for now wishful thinking;))

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  11. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aren't you guys afraid of the wheels falling off on the original models? I've read everything I can find on tightening the bolts and I understand using 325 lbs. of torque on each wheel. It still scares the bijezes out of me!

12. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    My TR has almost 50K miles on it and has had two sets of tabs replaced on the undertray. Pretty common for them to go bye-bye. One is gone again. No worries on that one.

The nose undertray piece is crumpled on quite a few TRs. Mine included. I remember the curb I did it on! Surprisingly the plastic air dam didn't even get scuffed paint! No worries on that one either.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

Well said! This seems to be a decent car but if not, by the end of summer a ton cheap ones will appear bc they wont have sold at 130k like sellers have been asking (again there are exceptions to this;)

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  14. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    #14 jgmblair, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    Why would you be afraid if you've read the do's and don'ts of installing the wheels correctly? I've owned my car for 8 years now and have never worried about the wheels coming off. I would suggest purchasing the available socket and a quality bi-directional torque wrench, the spanner and lead hammer are great topics of conversation when showing someone the tool kit but dammed if I would use those things when installing the tires.

To the original poster, the tabs on my car are bent and I'm sure if I tried to straighten them they would just break off. I removed my front chin spoiler this winter and had the fibreglass fixed where one of the po's drilled a piece of hard plastic to the bottom of the chin I'm guessing to protect it from bottoming out. While I had it apart I had to straighten the access panels in order for them to properly rest inside the front chin spoiler without the use of any fasteners.

My best advise if considering one of these cars is to find someone with intimate knowledge of these things and offer to pay them to look at it for you. There are many qualified people on this site that could point you in the right direction depending on your geographic location, just ask.

15. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
  16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    is this a 1 inch tool or a 3/4 inch tool? what max torque has this wrench?

17. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Hey Romano you back from Thailand yet? 3/4 drive 600 ft/lbs and most importantly is bi directional.

18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I just want to say we certainly have rust issues in Texas....we aren't Arizona in that respect.

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I'm with my Diablo brother on this one...I thought all Testarossas came with crack anyway with the Miami Vice cross promotion thing.

Gialllo uno and blkdiablo33 like this.
  20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    no, still in thailand up to end of april, enjoying the warm weather :)

Gialllo uno likes this.
  21. Natkingcolebasket69

Car is sold! Are u the one who bought it? I bet it went for like 90-95, gone now;)