V8 Levante | Page 2 | FerrariChat

V8 Levante

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by staatsof, Nov 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I heard the 600hp+ Levante will be called "Trofeo".

2. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    I doubt !

Je doute car il y a eu des ALFA ROMEO Giulietta Trofeo , entre autres

3. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Can it be that the "Trofeo" special series for the MiTo and Giulietta from 2014 was available only in France? I guess this small special equipment variant hasn't a big relevance for the world of Maserati.

4. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Why not a Levante Trofeo, if for an appealing name to market an high end version? there is already a Granturismo MC Trofeo.
    Though I'm not sure the wording Trofeo would really suit the Levante, even with 600 hp+...

bay likes this.
  5. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Infos from Geneva, the strongest Levante will be called Trofeo (GTS the other V8 tt), but it will come with "only" 580hp. IMO still more than enough hp, I expect more torque as an Urus...

bay likes this.
  6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The Jeep is still quicker but the Maserati is 6 mph faster!

Kind of crazy times when the same automotive corp is producing two very different versions of a super performance SUV. I expect that there are going to be some spectacular wrecks involving these vehicles. Physics is physics after all.

7. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I don't think so Boo. Just as these vehicles will never be moved off-road, they will never see their top speed.

8. CETH

CETH Karting

Nov 3, 2015
    Poland/France
    Some will, if one lives close to Germany...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

Well I certainly hope it's safe to do so. When I lived in California I took all my vehicles to their top speed ... in Nevada ... :p the most modern of them a Q45 was the most stable @ 160mph. The Bora was a bit of a handful at that speed.

If owned one and was in Nevada I know I'd try as long as I knew it didn't get wild due to aerodynamics.

11. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    Yesterday for the intro

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Looks nice. Still won't sell.

RR, Tesla, Porsche etc are one step above when it comes to interior. They look really cool, high tech etc where the Maserati looks like it's from last decade.

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

Tesla? I think they look cheap inside. Porsche is their natural competitor and I expect that Maserati will nibble at their market, perhaps more than that after a while.
    This is a powerful and from the reports a good handling vehicle. Long term reliability and ruggedness has yet to be proven.

Bundy and redcaruser like this.
  14. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I call this stylish.

I'm not a big fan of all the high-tech developments with screens as far as the eye can see, I'm already looking at these things all day while working. In this regard especially the Tesla-approach with its big size touchpad as primary user interface is the horror for me. I appreciate the restrained interior design of Maserati, for me a place to calm down, a small place to enjoy the pure being and driving. Howsoever, I have friends who see it like you.

Challenge, I.T. Guy and Bundy like this.
  15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    +1000, the whole ethos of Maserati is restrained elegance, beautiful classical interiors in the finest leathers, proper style. NOT the latest electronic junk.
    When I drove Levantes and Ghiblis at a Bonhams Audemars Piguet Maserati day last June from Geneva over the Jura mountains to le Brassus where all the watch makers are to visit AP I did not even look at the electronic gizmos, screens etc etc for ONE nanosecond, could NOT care less: I just explored the handling the feel of the chassis steering the sound, drove as fast as I felt acceptable with clients in the car and really enjoyed driving both models. One client a former F2 racer who had not said a word all day turned into Dr Jekyll behind the wheel, whipped a 4wd Ghibli seriously hard and while he never heard of the word smoothness I was really pleasantly surprised by what the car could do. I can't stand SUV's in general but was very impressed by the Levante's handling and for an SUV it is quite nice looking.

Bundy, redcaruser and CETH like this.
  16. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    The front (and rear) changes make it look rather more aggressive, without making it look too wild. Well done!

17. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
  18. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Gizmos aside, Tesla is far below most high-end manufacturers in terms of interior quality. RR and Porsche interiors are beautiful, but my wife’s Levante S handles much better in the twisties than our RR ever did. I suspect the Cayenne handles at least as well, but we can’t get past the styling even after all these years.

My biggest gripe with our V6TT Levante S is the artificial exhaust note in Sports mode. Hopefully, the V8TT gets rids of this.

CETH likes this.
  19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

Looks very purposeful. I'd never get black anything though. Side view is the weak part of the Levante's design.

Most new cars are so busy looking inside. This one kind of reminds me of the new Lamborghini SUV. The new Alfas are simpler and cleaner but nowhere near as plush.

20. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    Just an FYI there is nothing artificial about the exhaust note, that is pure tuned exhaust. Sport mode opens bypass valve.

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #48 Nembo1777, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    PURE exhaust note NOT artificial Bundy, as Foncool explains.

Maseratis have always had the most unctuuuuuuuuuous sound.

Reminds me of how a well lubricated passenger once demanded I park my Khamsin at valet parking (which is the last thing I would ever do for several reasons) and insisted on it and on paying. It was a fashionable bar restaurant on the Intracostal waterway in Fort Lauderdale. When we left muuuch later he was even more drunk and there were lots of pretty girls awaiting their cars at valet parking...when I started the car dozens of pretty knees went visibly weak and parted like the red sea as if in an obedient trance...I wanted to boot him out and offer a ride to them:)...but he was a client so I could not:-( LOL

Merak1974 likes this.
  22. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #49 Bundy, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    I hear ya, but to me it sounds like something is loose back there and rattling around.

I have pinned open the exhausts on my FF, F12, and 488. Loved the tiny Capristo mufflers on the F430. Ran the 993TT for years with muffler bypass pipes (sounded like a marine Chris Craft engine). Have a racing exhaust on my Diavel. Race a Radical.

I don’t mind loud or even a bit of resonance. To me, the Levante just sounds broken in sports mode. I had our Ferrari / Maserati dealer evaluate it, and they found nothing wrong.

23. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Maserati has been using the "Trofeo"" name for quite a while now for their racing series, similar as Ferrari does with their Challenge series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trofeo_Maserati