3 sets of wheels for 612, need tire sizes | FerrariChat

3 sets of wheels for 612, need tire sizes

Discussion in '612/599' started by kenehresman, Mar 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenehresman

kenehresman Karting

Jul 15, 2012
    OK, When I got my MY06 612, it had 22" wheels, so that was the first to go. Found a set of 5 spoke in VERY nice condition wheels with tires ready to bolt on. Although they had the TPMS sensors, they didn't pass a recalibration run a couple times over, so probably bad batteries... no big deal, as I wanted to find the original set of ball milled GTS 19" wheels which I now have. I will be mounting the tires soon for these, and I think based on the docs I can just order these in the standard sizes, any brand or tread preferrence?

Next I located a set of 20" challenge wheels from ur friends in CA and now have those also in my possession. I intend to install a new fresh set of TPMS sensors in those and also install fresh tires. Need recommendations on tire brand sizes to fit these 20" on the 612.

Finally, if I have both the factory 19" set and this challenge set can i simply change them out, and then take her for a drive and re calibrate the TPMS system for whichever set I am running? I would like to be able to change them out from time to time.

Any input appreciated.

On a side note, Received my Eurotuned ECM's back today and installed and she fired right up and seemed ready to roll, but since it is cold and my plates are expired I'll be waiting awhile longer looks like.

2. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Paging the Air force Vet from Arizona...

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Front 245/35 ZR20
    Rear 285/35 ZR20

As to brand, right now I am having a set of the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S mounted. I've had the Pirelli P Zeros with no complaints, but everyone raves about the MPSS, so I thought I would try these new ones from Michelin. Reportedly they are even better.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  4. kenehresman

kenehresman Karting

Jul 15, 2012
    One is the MPSS and the MPSS with a "K1 Ferrari" designator, which are about 20% more...

any insight? do I need to spend 20% more for the same tire? or is there a real difference...

5. kenehresman

kenehresman Karting

Jul 15, 2012
    One more question on the TPMS sensors.... since the wheels are like 2009 or 2010 and the original 06 sensors are probably RDE011 HUF, what would be the correct sensor to install in the challenge wheel on an MY06 612?

6. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I have an 07 612 with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They replaced P Zeros. The Michelins are far better in terms of grip, noise and longevity. Nuff said?

7. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORT is the the one that everyone is using on the forum, you will see only positive feedback about it
    Please note that the Pilot Sport 4S is not the same, it could fit but this is more for sportive daily driving, not for Supercars
    On the Super Sport, you will find different K approvals (Ferrari Spec), the higher the number, the more updated the tire is, K3 is the latest I found, but K1 and K2 will be great too, not always easy to find the front and rear in the same K and it does not matter, most Ferrari dealers, will put what they find and are not sticking to the same K front and rear
    There is a tire alternative for very sportive driving, they call it the road legal race tire, the Michelin Sport CUP, It only has 4 mm thread, and is therefore lighter, a real track day tire for those that don't cary racing slicks, it should be superior to the super sport but not done for mileage and prone to aquaplaning by heavy rain.
    I think the Super sport is the best all rounder and will do good even on a track day as long as you are after fun and not lap time.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The 4S is the replacement for the MPSS.

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would not buy the MPSS unless they are significantly discounted from the PS4. As more sizes in the PS4 become available the MPSS will be more difficult to find, or replace if you have one tire fail. Not to mention that the PS4s perform better than the MPSS.

The Science Behind How Michelin Made Its Best Tire Even Better

10. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Hi Taz,
    You are right, I did not get that one
    Just read that they are the oem GT4 Lusso tire
    I am wondering if they would be adapted to older models like the scaglietti, why not in the end... but I am not a tire expert.
    Michelin still recommends the super sport for the scaglietti on its website

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #11 Nospinzone, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Got my car back today with the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires.

I'll be leaving for the FCA Annual Meeting in Daytona, and then continuing on to Key West. About a 4000 mile round trip. That is what I call a real road test! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Hey there,

I am facing the same dilemma. I have just purchased a 612 with HGTS on the 19" modulars but am going to switch them out for some 20" Challenges. Still debating whether to go for the Michelin Super Sport route or opt for the new Pilot Sport 4 S's. Also not sure what width to go for on the rears as many have talked about rubbing on the inner arches, and with the HGTS, I wonder whether this might be an even more sensitive spot.

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated gents!

13. ZDF_Fan

ZDF_Fan Karting

Oct 29, 2013
    Kuwait
  14. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Hi ZDF,

Thanks. I fear that's the problem I may encounter as the set of Challenge wheels I am looking at are indeed the 599 set (11" rears).
    I am going to see if I get away without spacers as I would like the most simple set up possible.
    If anyone else has any thoughts or experience, that would be great.
    Right now, I am considering Michelin Pilot Super Sports, going for the K2 versions, giving me 245s upfront and 285s at the rear.

All the best,

Jit

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No problem with the 599 wheels on 612s until owners went to GTO size 315/35 20 tires. The OEM 612 tire size of 285/35 20 or one tire size larger at 295/35 20 will fit and give no problems. The 599 offsets are set up such that ~1/2" of the extra width goes inboard and the other half inch goes outboard. If she were mine, I would probably go with the 295/35s to take advantage of the extra inch of wheel width. 599 fronts are the same width as 612 fronts.

Five Spoke F 18”, R 19”, 5 X 114.3 mm

Front 8J X 18 ET 43.5 mm , R 10J X 19 ET 51.1 mm

Five Spoke Modulars 19”, 5 X 114.3 mm

Front 8J X 19 ET 43.5 mm, Rear 10J X 19 ET 51.1 mm

Challenge Monolithic 20”, 5 X 114.3 mm

Front 8J X 20 ET 43.5 mm, Rear 10J X 20 ET 51.1 mm

599/HGTE/SA Aperta

Five Spoke F 19”, R 20”, 5 X 114.3 mm

Front 8J X 19 ET 43.5 mm, Rear 11J X 20 ET 63.8 mm

Challenge Monolithic 20”, 5 X 114.3 mm

Front 8J X 20 ET 43.5 mm, Rear 11J X 20 ET 63.8 mm

HGTE/SA Aperta Five Spoke 20”, 5 X 114.3 mm

Front 8.5J X 20 ET 40 mm, Rear 11J X 20 ET 63.8 mm

599 GTO

Five V/Ten Spoke 20”, 5 X 114.3 mm

Front 9.5J x 20” ET 38.1 mm, Rear 11.5J x 20” ET 63.8 mm

RonH likes this.
  16. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Taz, you don't cease to amaze me with your wisdom.... many, many thanks!
    Regarding my choice of 285s for the rear, the only reason I have done this is to go for K2s all round... 295s don't come as a K2 on the MPSS, just as K1s.
    Would this alter your opinion? I like the idea of an extra inch of rear rubber especially on a RWD V12, but wonder if that is compensated by the better tread and tech of the K2s versus the K1s. I am still unsure in my naivety whether the HGTS package has also altered the suspension such that the rubbing may be more prone on cars which have the suspension pack specified. Thanks again, Jit

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    JS- K2s are a better deal for street Ferraris because they have an extra chunk of tire tread depth (a whole 1/32") so last a little longer. The K1s came with shallower tread depth for a little extra stability not really needed except on the track. 285s will work fine, and the difference in width on the 285s and 295s is only 1/2" per tire. The K2s were originally fitted to the F12 and the K1s to the GTO. I should have looked at TireRack to see if both were available in K1 and K2 before posting.

18. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Taz, you are a star, I now know exactly what to do... and to a 612 newbie, the Challenge wheel dilemma is far from a simply one. But K2s it is!

19. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Terry, may I please ask you for one further piece of advice? Apologies for taking liberties with your knowledge. I have now purchased the K2 tyres as per your recommendation and the 599 Challenge wheels are on the way. The 612 I am buying has a TPMS installed. I wanted to ask a naive question... in order to fit TPMS sensors, does the wheel itself need to have a space to accommodate the sensor? In other words, is it possible that the Challenge wheels I have bought may have belonged to a 599 without a TPMS and therefore this will render my TPMS system redundant because the sensors can't be housed on the wheels? I am looking at new sensors as everything else is going to be new (wheels, tyres, caps, valves). Any advice would be gratefully received.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    JS- The TPMS sensors attach to the tire valves, so no additional holes are required and all the wheels are identical.

21. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Thanks a lot!

22. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
  23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    JS- That is a great deal on the OEM sensors.

24. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Hi Terry,

Sadly the seller told me they won't fit the 612: I apparently need the RDE001 sensors.
    Hopefully someone with a Ferrari other than a 612 can benefit!

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips