812 sold out? | FerrariChat

812 sold out?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 905doctor, Mar 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 905doctor

905doctor Rookie

Jun 25, 2016
    I've read some articles online saying the entire 5 year production cycle is already sold out, is this true? Also on the latest Top Gear Chris Harris was referring to it being sold out as well.

I was hoping to place a order this summer, if true it would be quite shattering to me (literally)

2. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    If it is now sold out - where are all the cars?

3. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    No. First off, that would be unprecedented demand. Secondly, dealerships of all makes usually don’t have allocations beyond a year.

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Ask your dealer, its the only way to be sure.

5. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    Spoke to my dealer yesterday and I’ll be placing an order next week. Allocation has been slow/minimal but not sold out.

Bhh and of2worlds like this.
  6. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Marketing. 9 times out of 10 "sold out" means 50% or less sold. Ferrari is just cottoning on to our new "social media" world where what you say/post often has more value than what the real world reality is.

iloveferrari, Solid State and Bas like this.
  7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly.

davemqv likes this.
  8. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I dont think thats true of the UK, I have been told by 3 dealers they closed their books last year for the 812.

davemqv, manya81 and of2worlds like this.
  9. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    I think UK situation is interesting.
    I have no doubt that anticipated UK allocation of 812s was allocated to customers who have deposited.
    I think,however,there is a feeling that the length of time UK has had to wait for deliveries may have a negative impact on some of those customers as the excitement of a new model has been lost.
    It would not surprise me if some customers back out and cars become available.If I did not have an allocation and wanted one I would certainly be in regular contact with dealer.

JagShergill, davemqv and of2worlds like this.
  10. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Agreed. But I also wonder if production delays will in the end mean fewer 812's built, assuming the date for the replacement is not put back to compensate.

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sure, the UK is a smaller market of RHD cars and may have been allocated a proportionally smaller number overall....so far. But I wouldn't be "shocked" if new allocations became available in coming years. Overall, be it with art, cars, watches, whatever...I feel that when people start yelling "sold out", it's more to encourage new interest rather than discourage it.

ScottS likes this.
  12. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Are you in Toronto? Ask FoO ASAP, but I believe their allocation is long gone, perhaps even prior to announcement of the 812.

13. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    same in Australia - no more orders taken. But people get tired of waiting, there will be other new amazing cars introduced, so no doubt there will be cancellations and this will open up the 812 to others if they really want one

JagShergill likes this.
  14. LF3

LF3 Rookie

Nov 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    George
    I was told yesterday by dealer he thinks allocation is complete.

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    How many customers continue to ask for a spot if they're told it's sold out? I guess I'm in the minority, but if something I want is sold out, I look elsewhere for a similar substitute that is actually available...

16. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Different attitudes, I guess. If I really want some thing, I generally don't stop until I figure out a way to get it, which often drives many of my loved ones nuts! But broadly speaking if I'm told I can't have some specific object, I usually don't accept that as an answer. Unless it's a one of a kind object, 99% of the time there's a way.

My point here though, is not so much about dealers flatly saying no to clients...it's that word spreading that something might be sold out is beneficial to dealers, as it theoretically drives people who are on the fence to inquire quickly...and once the sales team get a hold of them ...then maybe they really do sell out! I mean, if you were actually in the market for an 812, wouldn't you visit your dealer asap in hopes of getting in before the cut-off? I may be wrong but I'm guessing most folks commenting on this thread (me included) have not actually tried to buy an 812. Comments like "thinks allocation is complete" are not the same as a flat and final "no". And if one guy here in SoCal talked to his dealer last week and is ordering one this week....I'm guessing not sold out?

Of course the UK could be a different story. If no more RHD UK cars are being produced for that market, buyers there might have to try and import LHD euro market cars, or some other workaround.

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Aston was announcing the first 2 (3?) years of the new vantage were sold out. But our dealer was running ads on social media last week saying there were still x first year allocations available to them...

davemqv likes this.
  18. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    Don’t think that is the case here. In addition to how great the 812 is as a GT car, everyone expects the 812 to be the last unassisted NA V12 to be produced by Ferrari. Also to qualify for the limited production 812 VS, owning an 812 will likely be one of the criteria for an allocation. So these two factors are key demand drivers that typically would not be present when comparing to the Vantage situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JagShergill, Shack and Bundy like this.
  19. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Definitely not sold out. I visited my dealer a couple of weeks back when I took delivery of my Lusso. I tried the 812 at that moment, and there was a real interest from my dealer to put me on the clients list for one allocation. He did say I probably wouldnt get it before end of 2019 (I am also not on any type of priority list, my Lusso being my first F-car).

davemqv likes this.
  20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Folks may think owning an 812 will give them a shot at the 812 VS but if it is what Lucca had promised the F12 would end up at, it won't matter in the least. Those would be like Aperta LaF kind of hard to get if true LE, final edition and best performance effort not to mention open top. You will know it if in a year a mule is taped going wicked fast and sounding furious. Such a video showed up before the F12TDF but I don't think it was for the TDF as still much faster than what they wound up producing. Maybe they wind up with just the customary cosmetic changes and non LE so 812 owners won't have an issue getting one except the depreciation loss of having to sell the second to last one for a minor upgrade.

21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    5 years of production sold out? Good one!

They probably don't even do allocation much beyond a year. If they had already allocated 5 years worth of cars to actual customers, you can be sure they'd have added 5 more years of production the already.

Also, no customer in their right mind would wait 5 years for a generic Ferrari.

davemqv likes this.
  22. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Our dealer has suggested that the production run could be as short as two years due to upcoming regulatory changes in 2020. Time will tell exactly how long, but it may not be five years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    They can only make twelve 812's a day to fill the world wide market, I am sure they could ramp it up a little but that would mean cutting the Lusso V12 and V8 which are built on the same line as the 812.
    As for people not waiting for 5 years for a car the F12 was introduce in 2012 and was still being sold last year, and there was not a glut of unsold cars at the end.

24. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    I was told only a max of eight V12’s could be built with current constraints on engine production and the normal production is six per day. They dyno the V12’s for a much longer time than the V8’s and V12 engines take longer to build. The engines appear to be the bottleneck but with the V12 Lusso ending for North America this summer we should see more 812’s.

25. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I doubt people having taking delivery of the latest produced F12 ordered them in 2012 though.

Jljr likes this.