Engine control system failure | FerrariChat

Engine control system failure

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ffchkgrich, Apr 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ffchkgrich

ffchkgrich Rookie

Mar 6, 2017
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    RICH FU
    I just got my Ferrari 488 GTB few days ago and I tried to drive on daily basis as my dealer told me that battery may goes flat if I park my car without connect charger.
    This morning when I try to start engine the warning code came up indicated engine system control failure, after tried few times of engine start and off few times the warning still doesn’t go off.
    I called the technician who told me the battery will only charge if I push engine speed over 3,000 RPM, is that true? He told me battery will not charge if I choose Auto gear wet mode as gear shift always like 2,000 RPM. Can anyone help?

2. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Not true. It will charge from idle. It is true wet mode shifts early (2000) but it will charge.
    His statement may come from early cars that will have the alternator light on until it sees about 2500-3000 RPM, the light will go out and it is charging, but even after that it is charging at idle.
    You may need a battery reset. That shuts everything down and then allows all of the ECUs to restart. This may do but it may not, just a first step.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What is a battery reset?

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Disconnection and reconnection of the battery.

5. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Disconnection and reconnection of battery 12V was always resetting the learned block memory in the motronic ECU. Term battery reset was ECU reset since the 348 days. In the 348 we only had symptoms of the issue now the dash says "engine system control failure" I guess? It is amazing after all these generations motronics still have this legacy problem that other ECU manufacturers have figured out.

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I guess one also loses the radio settings?

BTW- I hate glowing red alternator charging lights, even if the alternator is really charging. Some day, it might be a real alarm.

7. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Another Ferrari inability to deal with modern electronics. Ferrari is always 10 years behind everyone else in managing their electrical systems while using modern electronics. We see the problem in their lack of reliability and quirky issues like battery/ECU reset or smog readiness as examples. We even see those issues vary among specific cars!

8. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Why won't you just get battery tender? Would make life that much easier :)

9. fsprow

fsprow Rookie

Oct 21, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Sprow
    As a long term Ferrari buff (had a Dino when they were new) I've never understood the electrical malaise. I just started up my GT3 Porsche after 3 months (no charger). Started right up!

10. Luisr69

Luisr69 Rookie

Dec 20, 2020
    Sunny Isles Florida USA
    Full Name:
    Luis R Jimenez
    Guys how do you perform a full ECU reset on the 488...
    I replaced the battery and I still have the same warning lights.
    I never lost none of the memory on my radio even when I disconnected the old battery to install the new battery but there’s something else that I needed to do in order to reset the ECU please advise thank you

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    I believe there is a procedure written in the 488 owner's manual that describes what to do after reconnecting the battery.

12. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Wow, this is interesting, I hope you get it sorted. With that being said, a 350,000 dollar car having these problems is unacceptable in my opinion.

Thank you

13. Wangotango123

Wangotango123 Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rafael olarte
    Same issue on my new to me 2018 488. Had it 3 weeks never had the warning. I connected the charger few days ago and when I disconnected the charger and cranked it up the alarm came up for the first time.
    It’s due for service and also has a recall according to the dealer.
    Also has an alert to calibrate tmps I think.

Ideas?

14. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    Wangotango123 replied on your other post

Let us know how you get on