Ferrari 330 GT - 7901 - Anyone know this car | FerrariChat

Ferrari 330 GT - 7901 - Anyone know this car

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by footUNDER, Apr 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. footUNDER

footUNDER Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Doug Hudson
    Does anyone know this car? Thoughts on it?
    http://classicshowcase.com/index.php/inventory/detail/524

Seems like it has failed to sell at a few auctions the past 2 years.
    Anything wrong with it or not correct?

I know it is not original color - but I am not finding anything else wrong with it.

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Has the teak dash been varnished to a gloss finish? Don't think XWX tires are right as they are 70% aspect ratio. Correct tires are full aspect ratio.

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I think the reserve has been too high.

As a former Series II 330 GT owner, I think these prices have peaked

Gorgeous car, though.

Details: http://www.330gt.com/Detail/7901.html

Matt

4. footUNDER

footUNDER Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Doug Hudson
    Agree tires are wrong and dash finish may be too shiny.
    Agree price is too high and the prior reserves as well.
    I might go see this car when on west coast next month.
    Any further updates or details from those who view this thread are appreciated.

Doug

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    It does look nice. If you like it I'd only do a deal subject to a full engine/mechanical and chassis inspection by a technician who has actual experience with Ferraris from this era.

6. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    This is an interim car, not a real series II. Two headlights but features of engine compartment and cabin using leftover series I parts.

Since it is supposed to be such a super car, it invites nit picking.

In the engine compartment: Washer bag mounted wrong, some camps wrong, oil filter cap too bright, distributor numbers in wrong order, no grommets on ignition wire loom, ... .

Tool kit. I'm not so certain here as it is an interim car, but: Should the tool roll be brown? Lead hammer head is too small & handle should be painted yellow, jack should be painted yellow, now sure if all the screw driver handles should be wood, ... .

I find it interesting that people will go to all this trouble to make a beautiful car, but not have someone tell them about all the little details. (For that you need Kerry, not me.)

Incidentally, it got 1st in Class, Classic Sports Sunday at Mar-a-Lago, Mar-a-Lago, not at Cavallino Classic Concours, Palm Beach.

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #7 miurasv, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Surely this is an earlier Series II which will have the 4 mount engine and tipo 571/65 gearbox and not the 2 mount engine and 571/66 gearbox of later Series II cars, but not an Interim car? It's noted on Kerry's site about the Series 1 Dash. The chassis number is in range for a Series II car. Note fuel filler on left hand side. You may find the 7000 rpm red line to be of interest on this car too.

8. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    You are right and I am wrong. However, it is an early 2 head light model in that the dash switches are in the middle, not on the left, and the electric window
    switches are on the doors, not on the tunnel. I would guess that the tach is from a GTC.

Thanks for correcting my mistake.

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I believe it is correct. Early 330 GT cars have a tach with the red line at 6600 rpm. Many 330 GTs from the approximate middle chassis range and later have the red line at 7000 rpm and many of the very late cars have a tach with a red line that starts at 6600 that extends to 7000 rpm.

10. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Honestly, I think you need to nitpick to pretty deep levels to find issues with this car. Normally when I look at restored 330 GT's, I see at least 10 or 15 items that are wrong within a few seconds of looking at pictures. I don't think that the dash is overpolished, this is what the teak dash looks like when conditioned with proper teak oil. XWX's, while technically not correct (didn't exist when 330 GT's produce and 70 series), are considered by many (not me personally) to be the most correct tire. Fitting 70's series tires (regardless of brand) is probably a better choice for driving and looks correct as long as you select the right width to have the same tire height as the original 78/80 series, so I don't think most see this as a sale impediment.

It's impossible to judge things like leather quality from photos, but as far as correctness, it's very good. I would say the radio should be a "Europa" (mono) rather than a Europa II (stereo), and the Fiamm pump placement, painting, and air horns are incorrect. I have a couple of other minor concerns, but the car is so much more correct than what I typically see that I can't compel myself to nitpick further.

11. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Its a few numbers away from mine and it has similar features. Including 4 mount engine and metal floors. Mechanically, it is the same as the interim (5-speed, hanging pedals, etc.) but, my understanding is that if it left the factory with two headlights its a series 2.
    Regards,
    Art S.

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #12 miurasv, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Michelin 215 70 VR15 XWX is not the same height as the full profile Pirelli CN72 205 15. I don't know how the XWX can be considered the most correct when the Pirelli CN72 tyre is made in the correct size.

In the Longstone Tyres pic the 215 70 VR15 XWX is on the left and the correct size Pirelli CN72 is in the middle.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    70-series tires are a popular choice for those who actually intend to drive them. For 70 series tires, Michelin XWX are what people tend to view as the the most correct tire in the discussions I've participated in (even though I don't personally share that view). For 70 series, 225/70's would be closest in diameter to the original 78/80-series 205's, but I don't think any of the vintage tire manufacturers make 70-series tires in a 225 width, so 215/70's are the closest available in terms of matching the original diameter.

You could have a heated debate on which tires are most correct, and an even more heated thread on which are "best" (some don't like XWX's), but from a valuation perspective for this car, my opinion is that having XWX's is not a deficit value-wise to most buyers.

14. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #14 miurasv, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    I know you don't share the view. Michelin make the XWX in the 225 70 VR15 size but they may foul the wheel wells when turning and may need a wider rim than on the 330 GT. The 512 Boxer uses this tyre on the rear with 9" wide rims. I agree the tyres are no biggie and it would not put me off this lovely car. I would use as a negotiating point and just replace them when they wear out or when they reach 7 years old. As good is it looks I would still get it inspected by someone who knows what they are doing if I was going to do a deal on it.

15. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    This is perhaps the coolest page on Kerry's website (which is chock full of cool pages) -> ProductionChanges.htm

There were quite a number of changes with Series 2 (after interim changes). I've often wondered why they moved the gas filler to the other side on interim cars forward -- seems like a lot of work to move it. There must be some reason they did so, but it isn't obvious to me.

Good info -- didn't realize they made a 225. I wonder if anybody has fitted them on a 330GT (would be interested in hearing about clearance issues).

16. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    Having the washer bag attached to the fuse box cover is such a deep level?