UK GT4 Dino 308 owners | FerrariChat

UK GT4 Dino 308 owners

Discussion in '308/328' started by expeatfarmer, Apr 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. expeatfarmer

expeatfarmer Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    Cumbria England
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Cox
    Are there many UK owners of GT4 Dino cars using this forum?

2. John F

John F Rookie

Jun 24, 2010
    East Lothian, UK
    Full Name:
    John Ferguson
    I'm probably one of the closest to you being in East Lothian. I've been carrying out a nut and bolt restoration of my car for a number of years now.

3. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    I'm here. Car currently engine out at QV in Windsor bit hopefully going back in tomorrow. Meanwhile I have spent the last 4 weeks tarting up everything I can lay my hands on. Been great fun :)

4. bromo

bromo Rookie

Feb 3, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Like Francis, My car is at QV in Windsor. I'm in Australia. Do I count? ;)

5. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Actually Craig - to be precise your car has gone somewhere else for what reason I don't know - but still in UK, so yes I think you currently count :)

NoGoSlow likes this.
  6. bromo

bromo Rookie

Feb 3, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Craig
    :eek::eek::eek:Hopefully not stolen.

7. Crosshill_Garage

Mar 1, 2018
    Dundee
    Full Name:
    Ben Lord
    20 mins north of Dundee. Had to use mine last night since I broke the daily driver. Woke up to it frozen solid!! It actually didn't take to long to get defrosted and turning the heater fan on actually did demist the windscreen. These engines take so long to warm up though.

8. expeatfarmer

expeatfarmer Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    Cumbria England
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Cox
    Good to hear from you. I have bought a few parts off QV they seem nice people to deal with. I put my car in my workshop at the end of last year to basically recommission and change cam belts etc. after it had stood for a few years it ended up with a full engine out refurb. as I found rot in the boot floor etc. Hoping to have it finished soon so that I can enjoy driving it again.

9. Crosshill_Garage

Mar 1, 2018
    Dundee
    Full Name:
    Ben Lord
    mine stood for 14 years before I got hold of it last year. Smokes badly on startup, but done enough to allow some fun this summer before I make a decision on how far I go with a restoration.

prober34 likes this.
  10. expeatfarmer

expeatfarmer Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    Cumbria England
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Cox
    Is it oil smoke or excess fuel?

11. Crosshill_Garage

Mar 1, 2018
    Dundee
    Full Name:
    Ben Lord
    oil smoke, too much to even notice if its running rich. It may die down, it may not, not surprising after doing nothing for 14 yrs. I have rebuilt the distributors and the carbs as they were never going to work. I have only done about 30 miles with it so will see how it goes. I suspect I will be pulling the engine in the winter if other projects allow.

12. expeatfarmer

expeatfarmer Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    Cumbria England
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Cox
    If it has not run for 14 years a bit of oil smoke is probably a good thing, does it go away when the engine is warm?

13. Crosshill_Garage

Mar 1, 2018
    Dundee
    Full Name:
    Ben Lord
    Yep, it goes away. I changed the oil and filter before I started it, and just changed both again. Its much better now, so it might survive the summer with me. Been driving it today and the gremlins are starting to appear which is no surprise. Speedo cable has started ticking, but biggest issue is I cannot get reverse more often than not. The gear lever is in reverse but actually it has selected 2nd, so wear in the linkage. Might be a while before I get brave enough to venture more than 5 miles away from the workshop!

14. expeatfarmer

expeatfarmer Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    Cumbria England
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Cox
    It may be that the grease etc in the linkage has dried out with lack of use. I have a 1948 V8 Pilot that was in a carcoon for 10 years and every switch/pivot and linkage was stuck with dried grease. The inside of the distributors on my 308 were both caked in thick yellow grease that had gone hard and stuck up the advance/retard mechanism.

15. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Ha no. Apparently gone to bodyshop for some remedials :) Have emailed you pics of trim which looks great!

bromo likes this.
  16. Crosshill_Garage

Mar 1, 2018
    Dundee
    Full Name:
    Ben Lord
    The gear linkage bush had no rubber left in it. Repaired it last night, gear selection much better. 110miles now! waiting for the next thing to break.

17. expeatfarmer

expeatfarmer Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    Cumbria England
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Cox
  18. davidgt4

davidgt4 Karting

May 28, 2003
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    David W.

Attached Files:

19. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    Yes have owned mine for over 24 yrs, I have restored in myself over this time and do all own maintenance on it. Would say I have a reasonable knowledge of them. Does help being an engineer and also work within the engine and driveline industry. Happy to help and offer any advice where needed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

bromo, expeatfarmer and NoGoSlow like this.
  20. expeatfarmer

expeatfarmer Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    Cumbria England
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Cox
    Both cracking cars, interesting how much the bigger rims changes the look of these cars.

21. HomersSpiceRack

Apr 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Nic Morgan
    And another......plus my first post!

Having loved the looks of the 308GT4 since my student days I have recently taken the plunge and I am a very happy owner in South Wales.

Sorry no photos yet.

Nic

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  22. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
  23. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'll have owned #9054 for three years this summer. We took it all teh way to Spain and back last September, which was superb. They're fantastic cars for touring in with enough pace to make them fun, but very comfortable and with enough space for reasonable luggage.
    I completely rebuilt the rear suspension the previous winter (not the one we've just left behind) and my intention was to do the same with the front last winter, but one of my other cars required a total engine rebuild which took up all the time.

Paul
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. HomersSpiceRack

Apr 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Nic Morgan
    Looking forward to getting to know a few of you owners

I have a couple of classic cars and whilst I don't have the time to do all the work on them I do like to do some of the maintenance so its encouraging to see that there is quite a bit of knowledge on the model to help bale me out occasionally.

A quick question, is there a register around where I can find out the manufacture date of my car from the chassis number and also an electronic copy of the workshop manual?

Thanks all

bromo likes this.
  25. bromo

bromo Rookie

Feb 3, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Wow. Looks amazing Paul.
    I heard the same from a fellow I met who had toured for years in his Gt4. Very much looking forward to doing the same.

PDB likes this.