ESPN / Sky coverage (spoilers) | Page 8 | FerrariChat

ESPN / Sky coverage (spoilers)

Discussion in 'F1' started by Simon^2, Mar 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alexweav79

Alexweav79 Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2009
    Owensville, MO
    Full Name:
    Alex Weaver
    Good Job ESPN! Much better and it's what fans have wanted for years, uninterrupted coverage. Keep it up!!

I can't stand the pro hami and mercedes commentating but whatever. Seb complains on the radio about no blue flags and we hear from one of the commentators "I didn't miss seb in the offseason complaining about blue flags". Hami complains about the blue flags later in the race and Brundle says drivers need to pay more attention. A little tough to take.....

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I would agree with you. But one race is only one race. I’m not convinced this is their final direction. I wish they would include sky’s post race and recap though.

E60 M5 likes this.
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Or the mandatory discussion with McLaren like NBC did also.

4. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    They are just Brits being homies. It's Sky, what do you expect? Tifosi? Haha

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ericspider likes this.
  5. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    FWIW I watched the Bahrain race (ditto for Australia) completely on ESPN internet site - replays.
    Practice 1 2 3 qual & race.

Picture quality was good, streaming was intermittent in qualifying but good over the rest, sound mix could be improved.
    (Microsoft Edge and Firefox browsers equal streaming quality.)
    Very few commercials.
    Commentary team, no worse, no complaints.
    Pre shows/ after shows, did not watch.
    (Yet I did enjoy last years NBC after shows.)

So, ESPN, your site broadcasts are working well for me.
    Thank you.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If ESPN doesn't have time to air Sky's postrace report on ESPN2, they ought to show it on one of their other channels, like ESPNEWS.

375+, of2worlds and E60 M5 like this.
  7. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Coverage was better this weekend, agreed. Miss the post race interviews with all the teams, oh well

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    If you switched to another channel in Canada they had the driver interviews in the pen and Valtteri Bottas came by for a chat about his weekend later to. The MB manager always makes an appearance after the race to talk with the boys. The Ferrari boss won't talk and always looks like his feet hurt!
    Ted wasn't there and no one else was brave enough to attempt doing Ted's Notebook. No sign as a result of all the teams packing up for China...

9. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This weekend had MUCH better coverage. I am glad to see things moving in the right direction. Lets see what the next race brings. Maybe they heard the uproar after the first race?

E60 M5 and NeuroBeaker like this.
  10. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Well said.

11. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Overall, yes, great to have the full race with no interruptions, but an entire race is hard to cover and see everything, so there is always room for improvement. At one time (maybe qualifying or the race, I forget now) they were following a car on a lap and showing it's speed, but the speed readout was delayed a few seconds, so it was hard to watch the screen saying 300kph after braking and entering the corner. This only happened once, and after that they seemed to have it synced up much better.

The Sky broadcast alternates showing the standings 1-20 on the upper left screen (which is GREAT), but then they will show either all the drivers gaps (GREAT), but then switch to showing the tiny team logo (BAD) which doesn't show me the gaps. Irritating.

12. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    All of this is from the FOM world feed. I'm sure they'll get better as well, the info graphics have changed a bit this year.

trumpet77 likes this.
  13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I watched the replay just to see how they handled it and there were commercial interruptions.

Does anyone know if ESPN or Liberty has made any statement re: continuing the live coverage without commercials?

14. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
  15. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
  16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  17. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    As the person who started this thread, I would officially like to thank ESPN and ask the thread be closed.

Bravo ESPN!!

ricksb, stever and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  18. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yeah, the title deserves to be reversed: ESPN does NOT suck

ricksb and vinuneuro like this.
  19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    For the first time in our life times, F1 fans in the U.S. are finally not being treated like red-headed
    step children by the networks.

For years, ESPN has broadcast soccer matches from around the world commercial free (although
    sponsors like Heineken get big play from this) and so assuming they've worked out a similar arrangement
    with Mothers.

Remember the days, friends, when we had to suffer through horrible commentary (and that wasn't too
    very long ago now was it?), races tape delayed a week or more, etc. I even remember when ABC would
    tape delay the Monaco Grand Prix along with track & field and cliff diving where they showed the first half
    of the race one week and then the second half of the race the next on their "Wide World of Sports" show.

Through it all, we've begged for a situation such as this so lets be sure to let ESPN and Mothers know that it's appreciated.

BHW

tifosi12 and Sharknose like this.
  20. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    God NO! ESPN REALLY SUCKS! Commentary is terrible. I have to watch with the sound down. Would prefer commercials and the old team to these twin twits. And don’t think the loss off the grid girls has nothing to do with ESPN.

21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Forgot to mention, F1 highlight are now playing on YouTube too.

This is a reversal of policy from Bernie wherein no videos from F1 races were to be put on
    YouTube and if they were, they'd be immediately taken down.

Someone finally gets it.

BHW

trumpet77 and stever like this.
  22. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Let's face it: ESPN is NOTHING like what they used to be, what made them great, but
    neither is MTV, USA, Velocity (or whatever it is named this week), or most of the other
    channels.
    This is a large reason why folks are abandoning cable - 200 channels and 'nothing to watch'.

PS - have any of you noticed some cable channels that used to be 'free' with basic cable
    are slowly being pushed into tiers that you have to pay extra for?
    SMITHsonian is one, there are a couple others, I see more of this happening in the future.

ricksb likes this.
  23. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    By the next race? Are you serious?
    ESPN practically invented motorsports on cable, ESPN started with F1 and NASCAR as
    two of their main staples, so no, they should not need any time to 'be on top of this'.
    ESPN's problem is they have either fired all the talent, or the talent has quit and gone elsewhere.

24. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    That post was from a few weeks ago. They made it right. Everyone else seems to be satisfied with the coverage during the Bahrain GP, and that it will be commercial-free the rest of the season. You're free to continue sulking.

25. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It still sucks, just not as much as it did......;)