512 BBI Boxer Engine Out Major Service S/N 40565 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

512 BBI Boxer Engine Out Major Service S/N 40565

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Dave Bendl, Dec 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    New Throw-out (Release) Bearing, Mounting the Bell/Transfer Assembly w/ new O-Rings, Installed Clutch Cylinder, and Spark Plug Wire Set
    • The supplied clutch kit included a new throw-out (release) bearing. The original cast bushing is pressed out of the original bearing, cleaned and pressed in the back of the new bearing. A very light coat of moly based grease is applied to the sliding contact surfaces.
    • The drive shaft is inserted through the bore engaging the splines. Fresh O-rings are mounted, and the bell/transfer assembly is mounted to the back of the engine.
    • The clutch cylinder is mounted, and then bled.
    • The Cavis Spark plug set was re-mounted after being inspected for cuts and or abrasion.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

pshoejberg likes this.
  2. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Alternators Installed
    Both alternators are installed with new Gates Polyflex 7M1090 and 7M850 belts. The AC Compressor has a new Polyflex 11M775 belt fitted.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #103 Dave Bendl, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Finishing the Project :)
    Headers, exhaust fuel, oil and cooling tubes/hoses, heat shields, fuel distributors are all now installed. Fluids filled. Cooling system bled. Started the engine today checking for leaks. The engine sounds great. There was a fuel fitting on the left bank warm up regulator weeping, so I'm checking it out as this image was taken which is why the plug wire and air filter housing is off. To get to this regulator is a real beast. Flex Armstrong would come in handy here.
    • Just to set the record straight, I miss quoted a tread reference on post# 80. The tread was by Ago Car Nut not Turbo-Joe. Sorry about that.
    We just had snow last week so there is salt still on the streets. We will need a good Spring rain before I take it out for a test drive.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Cgk360 and pshoejberg like this.
  4. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Dave, I just read this whole thread and I tip my hat to you for a thorough and well documented engine out service. Not something I would attempt and admire those, like you, that can and do. There is so much intricate knowledge and even with the WSMs it takes some interpretation and technique. If you don't mind my asking, where did you learn how to do this type of mechanical service?

5. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Well thank you!
    My father was a retired Army Aviator and Transportation Officer and my Grandfather was a retired Machinist. Both were hands on, and fantastic mentors during my youth. They passed on their talents, patience, and determination to see projects through.

Cgk360 likes this.
  6. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Hey Dave..

Great article. I own 51723 and am getting ready to an engine out but will have it done, I'm not as brave as you!

Car runs great but the AC compressor seal is gone, and the low oil pressure light sender is leaking so it's a good time to take care of these things.

A couple of things, the last time I had an engine out I used Evans Cool for coolant with great results, no overheating even here in sunny and hot Florida. And more importantly no electrolysis either. Just FYI.

Re the MSD, I'm on my second one. My Marelli went out years ago with ZERO warning. One morning it worked, that afternoon it didn't! FYI, should you experience this, Dick Fritz said to remove the Rev Limiter and that might fix it. I wish I had known! And to add to what someone else said, I do think MSD quality is on the decline.

Anyway, great article and keep the info coming!

Don Bartz

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this I will do also next time, also on my koenig competition

could you post a picture or a link to see where the rev limiter is or how it looks? never had open a magneti marelli box

8. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
  9. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Epic thread, Dave. Really enjoying it. Thank you for sharing.

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you very much for this link dave :)
    will read the whole thread in the evening here when I have more time.

11. loudvette

loudvette Karting

Sep 28, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    David
    Nice Work Dave!