FORMULA 1 2018 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 24 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 2018 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Apr 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Ferrari had no way of knowing if the old wheel/tyre was still attached properly or not, so couldn't risk sending Kimi out to do a lap to come back around to the pits, and they had slightly more important things to deal with at the time, than running down the pitlane to drag Kimi's car back and completing the pit-stop for him.

Looking after Francesco was their priority, and by the time they were able to move him safely, Kimi's race was well and truly over (Can you imagine the outrage that would have been caused if they had simply dragged Francesco out the way, risking irreparable damage to his already broken leg, just to complete Kimi's pitstop?).

For Kimi, he was told to stop the car immediately, which he did, and then he sat there waiting for the mechanics to drag him back (reversing in the pit lane is a complete no-no under rule 28.3: "At no time may a car be reversed in the pit lane under its own power." ), not realising that all of the mechanics were pre-occupied with their injured colleague. Chances are, Kimi felt Ferrari had screwed him over yet again, and so not knowing what had really happened, but realising his race was over, had a bit of a strop at the time and ditched the car where it was, for the mechanics to deal with and fetch it back, because he was done for the day.

Bundy, trumpet77, stavura and 2 others like this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    As subirg said....not clear if the tyre was loose or not, letting him continue would result in additional penalties.

I think it was Bottas a few years ago at I think Spa, they send him out with 1 wrong tyre....he had to pit again and I think he received another penalty on top of this.
    this

---

Regarding Pirelli, their max lap count is simply a suggestion of what the tyres should be able to do, cars that are kind on their tyres could stretch it a few laps and so on. A tyre won't simply explode after X laps. They gradually lose grip before falling off the cliff, Vettel had a really tough job to manage the tyres in the end. He pitted much earlier than the Mercs and was first going for a 2 stopper, hence him really putting in the laps early on...then Kimi had his issue, Ferrari not sure what was broken in the pit and anyway a man down (I really doubt they carry spare pitcrew members) so they had to change strategy...Had vettel not hammered the laps in early in his stint the tyres would've been in far better shape, but then that wasn't even the plan. A great win.

crinoid and daytona355 like this.
  3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Lewis....typical :rolleyes:

Best of Team Radio | 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix

4. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I am surprised that he did not get on the radio and say "Toto you need to tell Bottas to slow up and let me by into P2"

Bas and daytona355 like this.
  5. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I've re-watched the video of the race, and it occurred to me that Lewis "steered into" Max, while two corners earlier he went wide with Alonso....

Bas and daytona355 like this.
  6. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    The original shot is deceptive it looks like he is close but he is 2 garages away in front of Pink India garage. He was sitting in the car for a good 20s before he got out, I think Arrivebene made the call, in this current era of saving engines there is no point having him driving around at the back of the grid. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

vinuneuro, crinoid, NEP and 1 other person like this.
  7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The criticism of Kimi is both sad and silly.

First, he probably knew nothing of what was going on other than something happened in the pit lane. Second, he's probably pissed off and trying to get away from saying anything in public. Third, there's nothing he could do but distract from the first responder's job to help the man down.

I hate Monday morning quarterbacks. It's racing. People get hurt. People get hurt in every contact sport all the time. Stop whining.

8. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    he did indeed.

Watch this in slow motion and you can clearly see Hamilton applying more steering lock suddenly.

Whilst a racing incident, Lewis is not blameless there. Too stubborn to know he lost the position, had he kept his car where it was the next corner they'd have had an almighty shunt.

daytona355, crinoid and trumpet77 like this.
  10. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    At least: when they hit Lewis was not even on the curbs so it is not true that he had nowere to go...(plus he has brakes...)
    The problem was Alonso: he blocked the normal racing line for Max and therefore he had to run wide to avoid him....As said: racing incident

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep+1

daytona355 likes this.
  12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    It was Alonso's fault..that idiot is a mobile chicane, he should be driving a lorry!

daytona355 likes this.
  13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agreed on all.

Bottas is utterly useless.

14. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I'm sure some other races have generated more posts here on the forum, but this has been a blast discussing all the aspects of this race. Even the disagreements on what we think of various topics has taught me a lot more about F1. Can't wait for the next race.

15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I really had high hopes for Max although at this point he is losing my respect and he is an absolute irritant. He irritates me as an F1 fan and seems to irritate the other drivers with his immature antics. He is under mama Horners wing though. Maybe big mama Horner will have a little stern talk with him. This being said I hope he continues to screw up the Mercedes team as he did last year for Ferrari.

daytona355 and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  16. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    For the "Instagrammers" amongst us, you can follow Francesco Cigarini:

@francesco.cigarini

17. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    I love the Susie Wolf and Mark Webber interview about the bet, and when asked if Lewis could have pulled it off, they both immediately said "Yes" without a second thought.

18. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    You mean like two weeks ago? ;)

PDX_214, 500tr and daytona355 like this.
  19. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Love the answer. Top class Pete

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Playstation Max at his best .....damage delete on, but how can he still get a puncture ...diddums.

21. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    As far as I remember you criticized Seb last year for not going aside seeing the "bigger picture" when he was IN FRONT of Max....why don´t you do the same with Lewis when he is BEHIND Max seeing exactly what is going on?

Bas likes this.
  22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think we have a new appreciation for Rosberg, who many of us thought was a light weight in a great car.

23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Not too sure what you are referring to last year .. was it the one with Kimi Max n Vettel when Vettel moved across ?

Anyhow Lewis was in front of Max approaching the braking zone, Max braked later then hung out Lewis to dry,ending his own race.Lewis had every right to be on the outside of the track,indeed he had nowhere else to go. Racing incident.Lewis summed it up 'DHead'

24. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Watching the first race of the season I was thinking the same thing. After Bahrain, I changed my mind. I like a few things about the new coverage. No commercials and the fact that the commentators covering the grid have an actual racing experience and they know what to say.

25. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    Indeed! :D

Though Ham fans will say this time would have been different.. :rolleyes:

daytona355 likes this.