Factory Tour Rule Change? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Factory Tour Rule Change?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Monteman, Mar 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Don't own a Ferrari, but have a scheduled tour on 16Apr.
    Deposit on 812 at my dealership was very helpful in securing.
    In fact, I don't even want the car, just the tour and lunch. :)

Seriously, any tips or highlights I should know of or look out for?
    Anticipating this as event as the highlight of our trip to France and Italy.

2. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    When I went in 2006 I arranged it through FNA. I originally called FOH, and they guy I talked with said b/c I was not a customer, they really could not sponsor a tour but to call FNA and they could help me (I thanked him, said I understood and was just doing what the web sight said to do..call the local dealer).

So I called FNA, they asked me for a copy of my title which I sent and they set it up for me. That was 12 years ago. So if you don't have a relationship with a dealer, then call FNA and explain.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Look for and read any one of the dozens of threads from previous visits

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The Factory tour is nice, but in reality what you get to see is pretty limited. Ferrari treat you well, and you have some really great coffee & get to see the inside of the factory walls - that alone is cool if you are a Ferrari faithful. The real highlight is the corse client and trip into the Scuderia building. our last time we were there - we were one of the first groups allowed into the F-1 building, they were taking the cars apart from Monza. If you own a Ferrari and are one of the Faithful - who have followed them for ever you owe it to your self to go. Maranello is a very nice little place, and I love to wander around - there is history all over that is associated with Ferrari. the museum in both Maranello and Modena are cool as well. its worth the effort - even if you don't get to see in side the factory.

on the factory tour - frankly if you have been to any automotive plant - its pretty much the same... there are no "artisans" pounding out dents on a wooden buck ... so its more the fact that you can say you have been there... vs. really seeing anything. Although last time we were there - we saw the prototype of the japan special 458 driving down the middle of the main factory road... all taped up in black.

we'll be there again this July, doing the factory and then Balsamic & Parmesan tours.

klinkman likes this.
  5. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I did the tour twice. The first time was back in 1993 and things were quite different from today (the plant was more Fred Flintstone vs today’s Star Wars). We even went to the farm house owned by Schedoni (leather) and were treated to a balsamic tasting in his attic.
    I miss the early Montezemolo days.
    Now the factory has a glass roof, tropical plants and robots.
    The engine foundry is amazing.
    Go if you can.

6. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Hahahaha If they do that, they will not have much attendees!!:oops:
    But I do agree with you. A tour should be for any current owner whether your car is 1969 or 2018. After all, it has everything to do with brand loyalty and NOT about saying "too bad, you didn't buy a brand new one" so "you suck, beat it".

Formula Uno likes this.
  7. gf1red

gf1red Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Staten Island N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    I have owned my 355 for 12 years now and did not buy it from an authorized dealer nor with the exceptions of a few times had it serviced by one. However I have had my maintenance done according to factory recommendation along with replacing interior and exterior parts when I see they don't look brand new. So the thousands of dollars I have spent for genuine Ferrari parts doesn't get me a tour. So Ferrari didn't make enough money when they charge me $850 for an alternator or $1800 for 2 fog lights and a door sill. Not to mention the parts for the 3 belt services I've had done. My list can go on and on. Give me a break. Ferrari needs to realize that whether it's new or old, fix by them or not owners need there parts to keep there cars on the road. Like we all know Pep Boys don't stock them.

8. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Guys, it's been written several times: it's the dealers choice as to whether you get a tour . Just as its their choice as to whether you get a demo, a hat or anything else they pay Ferrari to facilitate. None of us are owed anything by Ferrari just because we identify with the brand or own one of their products. So assuming there is a limit on the number of tours offered to each dealer vs. the ones they are charged for, some are not going to get deserved welcome and others will be wasting Ferrari's time. It's not a random process but sometimes comes across that way by happenstance. Get over it.

9. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I believe I heard the dealer pays for your tour if you pay for anything from them or not.

10. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael

Hi I disagree with the artisans bit.....

When we went in November we also got shown around and spent about half our in the classiche department and even met the head man in there...the corsa cliente warehouse is Kool as is the F1 building but for me the Classiche shop was something else , it was artisans working on some of the finest machines they have ever made... not sure if classiche is part of the tour usually but it is literally through the door of the room where you collect your car and the dealer I was with asked for a look round and they said yes no problem...

Regards

Michael

11. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi

Book a visit to the pagani and Lamborghini factory as well why you are there.

Pagani is a very interesting factory and tour nothing like Ferrari..

Regards

Michael

12. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I agree nobody looked that busy!

If you want to see a lab go to the Pagani factory!

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I
    I really liked the Lamborghini one, Pagani I could have skipped. If one is pressed for time, that's the one to leave out.

14. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    My wife and I took the tour about 5 years ago. The factory tour was ok , so much you could not see, such as 12 cylinder production, their paint shops. I was disappointed but it was THE factory. Now for the good stuff, the week we were there the f 1 team was in Barcelona. As we were the only 2 people the guide had on tour she asked if we would like to visit the f1 department. That was a no brainer.

The f1 program is across the street from the factory actually in the old original factory buildings. After touring the shops and assembly area she took us across the alley to a warehouse size building. She told us this was the most valuable building in the entire factory complex. She asked us what we thought the reason was. Lots of guesses but no correct answers.

We entered as she shut the door behind us, quite dark inside until she tripped the lights, OMG were we surprised. 77 retired f1 winners. All placed in year numerical order. Most signed by their drivers. Ferrari will sell retired f1 cars for 1 million euros each with the following provisions. The cars must stay at the factory, and you will be allowed to drive the car on the factory f1 course 1 day per year with reservations. They will prepare your car for you day. This costs 15,000 Euros per year for storage and prep. So 77 retired f1 cars @1 million euros each, makes it the most valuable building on site.

Then after that tour I asked about finding out information on my vintage Ferrari's. I was told to go to reception and ask for someone from the Classique department. There I met the head of the Classique department . I told him of my interest and mentioned that I used to own an ex works Tr0768, a 1959 testa rossa factory GP race car. He then told me he had just finished the documentation to certify that car and that it was in Seattle, which I knew because that is where I live. Now for the best part, he invited my wife and I to tour their restoration facilities where they restore customers cars. We spent nearly 4 hours just being amazed at their work and depth of restoration. I think there were nearly 20 cars under restoration including the only Ferrari to have been entered at Indy. We then were taken through their records department where files of every car they have ever built. I was able to see the files on my cars which included original production records, photos, and original orders and where they were delivered . At that time their labor rate was 100 euros per hour, which was more than reasonable. They hire retired factory workers to complete the restorations.

Honestly, the f1 and Classique tours far exceeded the actual factory tour in my humble opinion.

just sayin'

tr0768

G. Pepper and Xtreme5053 like this.
  15. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Did a factory tour in March this year. It was worth to just check off the list but the tour was frankly a bit underwhelming. The tour guides had no knowledge at all about any of the details regarding the production. They were mostly guys in the low 20´s that have never driven a Ferrari despite working there as guides for several years. They wanted to though and kept asking me about the driving experience. They also said that the plant workers never get to drive the cars they build either. Seems very cheap by Ferrari.

The production facility was just like any other car manufacturing facility. The cool stuff was the Scuderia building and the FXX/F1 workshop next to Fiorano.

16. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    The six master technicians & their apprentices still hand building the magnificent V12’s is just like any other car manufacturing facility?

We’ve toured the factory three times in the past 2 years and always see something new and interesting. And our guides (all female, btw) have been fantastic. One was the granddaughter of a 1950’s factory racing mechanic. Her passion was inspirational.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    We've done the tour twice, both times arranged through FoW. They did ask to see the registration, but after that were extremely helpful.
    I have never spent a nickle at FoW, but do take them a coffee cake whenever I visit. And I will never be a new car customer, but the one sales guy always treats us like one.
    The two tours were different, the latter seeming watered down a bit. I suppose it depends on the group, on the second tour all the others in the group were sponsor employees from Shell.
    Our tour guides were all female as well. One was from LA, a recent marketing grad, and spoke fairly good Italian as well as Japanese.

paulchua likes this.
  18. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Did you get to see anything of the engine manufacturing up close? Not me. We passed all the stations real quick.

19. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    We had about 5” in the actual V12 assembly area, in addition to the time spent in several other stations where the actual engine components were being machined. So, maybe 20” devoted to various aspects of engine manufacturing and assembly?

The rotisserie assembly lines are incredible, too. Great experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Same for our tour.

21. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    If you´re not so interested in details that might be enough. We didn´t get to go near the assembly lines and rushed past everything so we could make the schedule.

When i visited AMG in Affalterbach i had a personal guide which had worked 30 years on a high level in Mercedes. He could answer all the questions i had and if he didn´t know something he got back to me afterwards. The personal tour lasted for two hours and i got to shake hands with the engine builder that built my engine. That is what i call a tour for a petrolhead.

22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A 30 year high level employee giving tours to tourists?

I remember back in 1971 getting a tour of the Heineken Brewery. The tour guide told us he was the grandson of one of the family founders, or something like that. I thought to myself what loser this guy must be if this is where they put him! :D

23. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    To make you feel even better,she will get access to F1 Paddock and the starting line whenever she wants....

24. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Ok, I get your point but it would be better for your credibility if you didn't sound like Bernie Sanders with all these stereotypes like "only the rich, pretentious (because they are rich?) and WASPs (now we are getting into racial thing)".

25. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Mark, I could really care less if you think that I am credible or not but that’s my take on it...you’re entitled to yours too