For Sale - 1992 Mercedes 500E $32,000 Seattle WA | FerrariChat

For Sale 1992 Mercedes 500E $32,000 Seattle WA

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Dryfly, Mar 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dryfly

Dryfly Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2012
    Seattle area

MSRP $79,000 in 1992

Only joint Venture between MB and Porsche

repairs/corrections/updates

VIN: WDBEA36E0NB686185 Pearl Black/Black

January 2014 to March 2018

Documented West Coast Car

Detailed service history (Phil Smart Mercedes Seattle WA.) in 3” 3 ring binder with approximately $40,000 in chronological Dealer Maintenance history (mostly 1 Dentist owner until 2012) is included along with my receipts..

All heating/cooling systems, seat heaters, accessories, switches, locks work as new, this is my 2nd 500E and restoring it has been a labor of love.

Car repainted (complete) no body damage at all just tired paint. It started with a removal/respray of all bumpers and side claddings/ rocker panels and “grew” into a full respray.

Center wood and roll top stripped & refinished

Staggered 8”& 9” x18” Mono Blocks (new reproduction wheels) 6/14

New Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires 6/14 (less than 1500 miles on them as of now)

New Motor Mounts 2/2015

New Transmission Mount 2/2015

First gear valve body installed (bought from fellow Forum Member)

Valve body removed, comes with car

Transmission/filter/fluid service

Headliner redone 2014

Front Bumper filler plate installed/painted (front plate bracket painted/boxed up)

New OEM driving lights 2014

HID’s on headlights 2014 Now converted to LEDs

Stock Becker head unit/amps/tuner rebuilt @ Becker 12/14 with accessory (iPod) jack installed in center console.

4” Focal 2 ways in dash 2014

Valentine 1 hardwire 2014 (V1 not included)

Lower wiring harness replaced 2014

Upper wiring harness replaced 2014 replaced again in 2017 (NEW)

New Bosch Alternator

OEM late model AMG pedal update

Rik Johnson Rearview mirror w/Homelink & Compass 2014

Euro Headlamps (no wipers) with correctly painted blanking plates (stock ones in a box)

New late model LCA’s installed in 2014 for Silver Arrow Brake install

Silver arrow brakes with new OEM Drilled Rotors (thanks Dave!) + Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads/new sensors F&R 2014 all new fluid/flushed

SS braded brake lines installed 2014

Most ball joints replaced 2014

Drag link and steering damper replaced 12/2014

New H&R springs & 1 bump pads F&R

Replaced lower rear carrier bushings (bought the tool then sold it)

Complete driveline assembly removed/rebuilt/rebalanced (“u” joints, carrier bearing etc.)

New SLS rear struts and fluid flush

New rear strut spheres (shocks and nitrogen balls)

Valve cover gaskets replaced

Spark plugs replaced

Timing chain & tensioners replaced in 2013

Transmission replaced @ Mercedes Dealer in 2012

Transmission serviced + 1 new cooler line replaced

Completely dry/no leaks 2015

Front wheel bearings serviced/cleaned/repacked early 2015

New fuel filter

PS fluid and filter replaced

Trunk locating bushings replaced

New floor mats

Factory All-Weather mats added

Factory car cover purchased 2/2015 (car always garage stored during my ownership)

2017 Upgrades and further restoration

The original motor showed signs of a weeping head gasket when I was considering selling in 2016 so I took it off the market in 2016 with the intension of resolving that issue. I lucked out and found a 30k mile motor from a local 1992 500E AND I made an incredible connection with a Factory Trained MB Tech that was willing to “Moonlight” at my home shop, Robert Sturzione. He was in the MB System when these cars were new and lives nearby me. This guy has more specialty tools than any Tech I have EVER met (and I’ve been around for 60 years!) We spent about 100 hours taking the motor in/out and reconditioning/checking on the bench, lots of sticky black Permatex, lots of time at the parts washer! The all-aluminum motor cleaned up very well!

I could easily connect Robert with either a potential buyer (or their Tech) to confirm the process that we went through. He shares our passion for these rare vehicles.

Engine removed and replaced with a 30,000 mile motor from a well-known local MB Tech named Jesse Frank (his beloved 1992 500E was totaled and he removed/preserved and saved the motor).

“New” Motor stripped to short block, cleaned and completely inspected and resealed, COMPLETELY DRY!

ALL OEM PARTS WERE USED!

All new gaskets, bolts chased etc.

All new intake manifold seals and gaskets (manifold fully dissembled and sealed/new everything)

Minor surface touch up on one head only @ machine shop was necessary

New front and rear main seals

Inspection of internals showed “New” condition (Chain, tensioner [new] and rails in perfect condition)

New flex lines, vacuum lines and rubber couplings as necessary

Fuel rail professionally cleaned

New fuel regulator

Remanufactured (As New) injectors

New oil pressure sensor

New thermostat

New water pump

Rebuilt Tandem Pump

Resealed Steering gear box

All new accessory belt and tensioner assembly (adjuster rod, tensioner and dampener)

New OEM Bosch Distributor Caps, Rotors, Spark Plugs and Plug Wires (properly routed on engine stand)

Starter rebuilt at “The Rebuilder” Kent WA (just precautionary)

Both Exhaust manifolds and down pipe “jet-hot” ceramic coated (in/out)

New manifold nuts & gaskets

New Radiator

New Coolant tank and cap

New Washer Tank

New inner fender expansion tank

New flex couplings

All fresh MB fluids

Flieben /Leistung Autohaus Brabus style Stainless Exhaust (Cat Back) added May 2017 ($1500.00)

Extra set of Chromed Factory AMG E55 Monoblock wheels (very good condition) with new all season tires purchased in 2017 (included)

A/C evacuated and recharged. Low pressure cutout and high pressure fan switches replaced as necessary.

I have the original Gear Shift lever

Leftover & miscellaneous parts included

I am certain that there are more bits and pieces like trans. cooler hoses etc. that were replaced, we were meticulous and thorough and there was quite a bit of “scope creep”.

Gallons of Griots products

NOT PERFECT: 1 small hole in Drivers seat (less than ¼”), center armrest shows a little wear on side piping, small carpet wear on rear driver’s seat track, radio occasionally shows E2 code, projector lamps (converted to LED) throw amazing light but shows dash light indicating “bulb out” when turned on (working on CAN BUS solution currently). Tiny rattle starting in/near catalytic converter.

I have been obsessing/ hobbying over this car for over 4 years now and have REALLY enjoyed the process but am ready to move on (maybe bored because it is mostly “done”). This car had 156k on it when I bought it and has just 161k on it now so obviously it is a garage queen to me.
    On the way in to my little collection is a 2007 SL55 030 Nuremberg Sport Pack with just 27k miles. A while back I sold my 2005 SL55 Kleemann and bought an Aston Martin Vantage…missed the SL so sold the Vantage and getting another SL55. I have come to grips with and know that I will have seller’s remorse someday (my ’95 190E 2.3 16v and 1967 Duetto Spider come to mind).

My “old” Silver/Black 1994 E500 (I bought it with 1,400 miles on it in 1998) is sitting in a garage under a cover in Anacortes Washington with just 65k on the clock and I will eventually be buying it back from one of my business Partners if he will ever let it go…….but probably from his widow

I think that $32,000.00 is more than reasonable for a car with most of if not all deferred maintenance (way over the $10,000 standard deferred maintenance guideline) cured and is cosmetically excellent for a 28 year old car. It would be great if one of the forum members could see the value proposition here and snatch it up! I have extensive receipts and photo’s available upon (SERIOUS) request.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bthesixthree

Bthesixthree Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 18, 2013
    CA
    Full Name:
    B
    One of my favorite cars ever produced. Had the privilege of getting to take the light blue example built by RennTech for a spin at a Palm Desert dealer before they found a lucky new owner for it about 4 years ago. Was the only 6-speed manual 500E produced. Great cars and good luck with your sale.

3. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Such a very very cool car! I’ve always had a soft spot for these.

4. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Beautiful car, lovingly maintained obviously and no expense spared.

Just to be clear is the original motor included in the sale and a 2nd set of chrome Monoblocks?

5. Dryfly

Dryfly Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2012
    Seattle area
    The original motor was passed on to a local fellow enthusiast who had a rod knock in his '92 500E, (mine only had a weepy head gasket). figured it was just too much bother to store. The car comes with 2 complete sets of 18" mono block wheels, Chrome with new all season tires and Silver with new Michelin PSS.
    If anyone wants to dig deeper into these very rare and collectible cars, there is an extremely viable, dedicated website pretty much exclusively about this particular Mercedes. It has a cult following that far exceeds the total number of these that were ever imported (just over 1200 in the entire Country over the whole model run 1992, 1993 & 1994)).
    https://www.500eboard.com/forums/

6. bagelboy

bagelboy Karting

Apr 18, 2016
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Henry D.
    These are amazing cars, and it sounds like this is a very pampered example. Best of luck on the sale. I wish I had the extra room!

7. CTE55AMG

CTE55AMG Karting

Jul 19, 2010
    Stratford, CT
    Had a 1993. Best daily driver I ever had, drivers seat was so comfortable.

8. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    In 2000 I was stationed in Germany and bought a 1995 E400 version of this car. I still miss it. GLWS

9. turbo3.6

turbo3.6 Karting

Dec 10, 2014
    driving my 94 e500 daily, still love and enjoy it everytime....
    nice car!

10. Dryfly

Dryfly Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2012
    Seattle area
    Boomhauer likes this.
  11. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Always loved these. One of the rare cars to really stand the test of time. Great to see such an awesome example. GLWS!

12. Dryfly

Dryfly Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2012
    Seattle area
    Another feature on my 500E is the Silver Arrow Brake conversion. It is "acceptable" and actually generally agreed by the 500E community that one of the only suitable upgrades on this rare car is to upgrade to the even larger front and rear rotors/calipers to those offered only on the 2002 R129 SL600 “Silver Arrow” Limited Edition (V-12). Many of the parts that Porsche specified in their tuning this car were sourced from the R129 SL's. This conversion also requires changing to the later (1994) 500E lower control arms. I have done this conversion and added s braided stainless brake lines and Akebono Ceramic Brake Pads & new sensors. This is 100% Mercedes with dealer parts (except brake lines).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer, Bisonte and Cgk360 like this.
  13. slownrusty

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Interesting..it looks like that brake upgrade\conversion is for the front and rear? I take the calipers bolt in (adapters not needed?).

Its always great when you can upgrade your car using the factory parts bin.

14. Dryfly

Dryfly Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2012
    Seattle area
    Direct bolt on with all factory parts (front and rear), no adapters required but later (1994) E500 lower control arms are necessary to clear the larger rotors in the front, slight trimming also required on rear backing plates (sheetmetal) again to make room for larger rear rotors = better braking and "Big Brake" looks. About $3,000 all in.

slownrusty likes this.
  15. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I still miss my '95.

16. [DELETED]

[DELETED] Rookie

Apr 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    A ~278,000 mile ‘93 is my daily driver. As good as it is, I can imagine what a lower mileage, we’ll preserved example must be like.

GLWS!

17. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir

Here is one with lower miles which sold today on BAT for $53,500 not including fees.
    I'm really starting to like these. I'm doing my reasearch now....

18. [DELETED]

[DELETED] Rookie

Apr 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Great cars, indeed. That BaT car was not my favorite, but it seemed worth that kind of money.

19. [DELETED]

[DELETED] Rookie

Apr 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Also cool cars, but as I’m sure you’re aware, the R230 and the W124 are just completely different cars...

Must be a dream to have such a low mileage AMG! Nicely done. I’m betting you’re the original owner.

20. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    Absolutely awesome man. Good luck.

21. crazyswede1027

crazyswede1027 Karting

Mar 21, 2010
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Chris S.
    Man seeing that car brings back some memories from high school days. One of my buddies dad's had one we "borrowed" it late one night for a hundred Mile Road Trip in the middle of the night at very high rates of speed. Only time the car went slow as when we pushed it down the street and to put it in and out of the garage so Dad wouldn't hear it. Good luck with the sale those cars are amazing.

375+ and Texas Forever like this.
  22. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    My dad had a 92 400E.
    we put 176K on it.
    It was AWESOME!
    can only imagine how much better the 500E was!

Yassa likes this.
  23. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Mercedes gave Al Unser Jr one for winning the Indy 500 with a Mercedes engine. This car, and a Porsche/Audi RS2, would be a cool pair to own.

24. slownrusty

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Surprised it hasn't sold. The market is hot for these cars. I recommend B-a-T

25. [DELETED]

[DELETED] Rookie

Apr 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Did this sell? As slow states, I would agree that BaT would be the ideal venue for this car.