2018 Formula One Season ***Possible Spoilers*** | Page 20 | FerrariChat

2018 Formula One Season ***Possible Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Jan 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    A few things I want to share............

1-Ferrari ****ed up!! They need to wake up to themselves if they want to win races! Leaving Vettel and Kimi in one lap longer than they should have and having Bottas take 1st place after Vettel's stop made me sick!

2-Max!! FFS! That hurt. :(

3-WHY do they keep interviewing Horner throughout the race? Do they have a contract with Redbull to keep doing that?

4-I love Martin Brundle. :D

5-I love Daniel! What a win!! How great was it hearing the Aussie anthem up there today? One of my little girls walked past, heard it and then started to sing to it. She then asked why 'the man is crying there?'. Naaawwwwwww, kids! :)

Its328 and Steve355F1 like this.
  2. ThePunisher

ThePunisher Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Troy
    #1 no they didn't
    #2 Max is a chump
    #3 Probably
    #4 He's a loser ..... ask MSC .... oh wait, you can't :(
    #5 Dan is a champ ............ and a sook :p

3. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Fixed

4. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yes they did really.

5. ThePunisher

Jul 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Only in hindsight, if Ferrari had have won we'd be calling them genii like we did in Oz

6. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    1: NO WAIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ferrari making strategy mistakes??? UMPOSSIBLEEE!!!

2: His mistakes gave Ricci the win :D

3: They always interview one team boss during the race. They only been doing this for the past 5+ years. :rolleyes:

4: Overrated.

5: :D :D :D :D :D

Bollocks, they were sleeping when the SC was called, watch the replay. I called them the biggest fluke in the history of the sport in Oz and you can't compare a track like Oz to China, proof they are idiots.

7. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Never mind the SC in China...before that when people started stopping and going purple sectors that was the time to bring in the cars for a tyre change like mercedes did....they waited too long.

Its328 likes this.
  8. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    [​IMG]
    POSTED BY: LUKE MURPHY | 16 APR 2018 | 6:04 AM GMT | 5 COMMENTS
    “Maybe I should just…not even calm down, just oversee the situation a little bit more. I don’t know why, I think I was quite good at that before but, somehow this year…

“Maybe with the previous two races not going my way, you want to recover points – it’s working against me at the moment.”

Max Verstappen had a painful ‘life lesson’ in Shanghai, taking out the world championship leader Sebastian Vettel and messing up his chance of a win by running wide when trying to pass Lewis Hamilton in a highly risky place on the track.

This handed the initiative – and the race win – to his team mate Daniel Ricciardo. The Australian still had plenty of overtaking work to do, but he did it flawlessly and raised his stock and market value in the F1 driver market in the process.

The F1 world loves Verstappen’s bold moves and virtuoso drives when they come off, and Red Bull have broken the bank to sign him on that basis. But Shanghai illustrated that there is a fine line between hero and zero when you walk that particular tightrope.

Now in his fourth season of F1, he is no longer considered a ‘young driver’, despite being only 20 years old. “He’s done enough races..” said Vettel after the race.

He follows in a rich tradition of drivers who came into F1 all sound and fury and who collided with others from time to time whilst also demonstrating great skill and talent. Some went on to be great champions, a few did not.

[​IMG]
    A race win goes begging
    Following Red Bull’s inspired decision to pit both of their drivers under the safety car and supply them with new soft tyres, it was all in Verstappen’s hands to go on and challenge for victory, as all the cars ahead had worn medium tyres on. The speed differential was sufficient to pass them all – as Ricciardo went on to prove.

Verstappen was the highest placed Red Bull in fourth place. Ricciardo had to start his post-safety car charge from sixth.

The Dutchman put third-placed Hamilton under severe pressure and, as the pair went through the high speed left-hander of turn seven, Verstappen was forced into taking a wider, less optimal line.

Other drivers had backed out of such a move earlier in the race, but when Verstappen attempted to try and stay with the Mercedes he discovered the anticipated reduction in adhesion and ran wide. This allowed Ricciardo through, who had already disposed of Kimi Raikkonen.

This first error put Verstappen on the back foot, who now had to follow his team-mate through the field. First the pair cleared Hamilton, then homed in on Sebastian Vettel.

On lap 42, Ricciardo managed to execute the majority of the overtake on the long straight prior to turn fourteen, finishing off the move on the Ferrari as they cleared the corner.

Verstappen tried his move on the following lap but, coming from further back, he tried to pass just as Vettel was navigating the corner. The pair came together, both drivers spun, and Verstappen was handed a ten-second time penalty.

Those two poorly-executed overtakes not only cost Verstappen a realistic shot at victory, but an almost-guaranteed place on the podium.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, his collision in Shanghai means he is yet to have a clean race in 2018; he spun in Australia after damaging his car earlier in the race and his Bahrain Grand Prix weekend was marred by a qualifying crash and a race-ending collision with Lewis Hamilton. Verstappen admitted that he was trying to make up for lost ground in the opening races, by forcing the issue too much.

He apologised immediately to Vettel – and publicly – for his mistake in China but, whilst the Red Bull man cut a remorseful figure when speaking to the media after the race, he said he felt no need to reduce his level of aggression.

“I don’t think I necessarily need to change a lot of things, I just need to learn, of course, what happened today,” said Verstappen, “I don’t think I necessarily need to be less aggressive or anything because that [attempted pass on Vettel] was nothing to do with being overly aggressive, just wanting too much.

“Of course this definitely not what I want. It’s a life lesson.”

Verstappen will be looking for his first incident-free race of the season when Formula One heads to the overtake-inducing Baku City Circuit in Azerbaijan in two weeks’ time, where Red Bull won last year, albeit in another chaotic, Safety Car inspired race.

9. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    ****en oath they did.

10. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Yeah, I know that. Always seems to be Horner but doesn't it? A not only once, sometimes a few times during the race.

I don't recall hearing from too many other team bosses during the race. I remember hearing the HAAS team boss a few times over the last few years..........I think.

11. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    +1

12. Its328

Its328 F1 Rookie

May 31, 2017
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yep waited too long for Vettel.
    I don’t know what their plan for Kimmi was, he lucked out with a safety car but was shafted otherwise.
    Ferrari’s strategies were crap last year too. Red bull and Mercedes play a lot more of a team strategy.
    Ferrari should learn from them.

13. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Yeah, seems like they are slow to react every time. Got away with it a few times over the years, but ****ed up on Sunday when Bottas took 1st place after Vettel came out of the pits.

Was lucky the SC car came out and ruined Bottas's race with the Redbulls slipping straight into the pits for those new tyres.

If the SC didn't come out and the Redbulls didn't get new tyres, it would have been a different result.

Steve355F1 likes this.
  14. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    That's why I think the Virtual safety car is fairer

15. ThePunisher

Jul 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Troy
  16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  17. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Some great pics of Daniel! :)

18. Nintendo64

Nintendo64 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2016
    I think its fair to say, and for a long time now, the driver has not mattered all that much, or the track, or the weather, and the cars are all very close, so today we seen it again, it is all about the tyres.

Bring back Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone and Dunlop lets get a tyre war happening, wake up F1 racing

19. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    FFS, don't you actually watch the races Rob?

20. Nintendo64

Nintendo64 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2016
    "RACES" what race, it is follow the leader and who can tweak and cheat the best without getting caught

MotoGP is racing, WINX is racing, F1 is boring, has been since Senna/Prost/Shummi etc left-the-building, is it no wonder Bernie cashed-out...

"Buddha has walked, Lao Tzu has walked, Jesus has walked, but those ways are not going to help you because you are not Jesus, and you are not Lao Tzu, and you are not Lieh Tzu. You are you, a unique individual. Only by walking, only by living your life, will you find the way."

21. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    China wasn't boring

22. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Neither was Bahrain.

Melbourne was, though.

23. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You're not a true enthusiast

Gizzi likes this.
  24. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Apart from the result, the race was boring as ****.

The only passing was in the pits. Yawn.