Daytona Bell Housing | FerrariChat

Daytona Bell Housing

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by steve meltzer, Apr 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I was climbin' around under the car checkin' out yet another oil leak, when I noted what appears to be a broken stud, 3 o'clock as you look forward to the bell housing. Is there anything else this could be? The parts manual didn't help me, probably because exploded diagrams make me dizzy. Any other thoughts? Doesn't appear to be much room to get it out. As always, please forgive my X-posting. steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    miurasv likes this.
  3. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Yep, i'm sure it is. easy repair with bell housing out, but not so much in situ. thanx again. s

4. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Here's a wrinkle....I don't think it's a stud, because it's aluminum! Thought I might be able to drill it out...nothing to lose, right? It's soft and fails the Physicis 102 magnet test. Could it be locating dowel pin? Again, can't tell from the drawing. thanx for all of the thoughts! s

5. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
  6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #6 TTR, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    As evident in both Bills & Grants photos "that" hole/spot in the bell housing is not likely to have drilled/tapped hole in the block.
    Some (early?) bell housings, while casted to accommodate for "extra" mounting studs, were not even drilled/machined in these spots.
    Left side (see Grants photo) should feature another similar "blind" (non-critical) hole.

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Attempting to clarify(?) my reply from last night.

Assuming the first (Steves) picture shows the hole in question on the right side of the bell housing, approximately opposite or slightly below starter motor nose cone and right above the split between block casting and lower (removable) bell housing support and identical, but apparently non-functional hole (without any nut or stud) can be found on the similar position (at approx. 9 o'clock) on the left side of the bell housing, should indicate these two holes are not actually being used at all.

While the parts manual shows studs, washers and nuts to be in these positions (little above 9 and 3 o'clock) and while the original intent might have been to use a total of 10 (although parts manual accounts for only 8), many or most mid-to-late production blocks appear to not having been drilled and tapped for their use at all. I currently have two engines in the shop, one mid and one late* production, and while both of their bell housings have been casted to accommodate these additional mounting spots, neither don't even have these holes drilled/machined on them (= bell housings).

* Pictured

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    P.S. While probably more viable commercially for the site owners, I do seriously dislike this rather idiotic time limit for editing..., even the previous limit was somewhat off putting to some who may wish to offer prompt practical(?) advise, but may realize later that initial phrasing could be misinterpreted.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that my above comments/opinions/theory may not apply if the car in the first post is an "early" production example, which possibly could've had its bell housing and block originally drilled/tapped for 10 stud mounting.

9. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    WOW!! Gentlemen, thanx for all of your help, opinions, and pictures. I'll check the 9 o'clock position when I get home from my indentured servitude this PM. Again, this is on the right, and I think, just below the starter. Car VIN is 14599. Thanx so much. s

10. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Here's a shot of the right side of the bell housing. On the LEFT, at 9 o'clock on my bellhousing, there's a raised "boss", but no hole, nor stud. (Of course I took a picture of this, but left it at home. %(&$@!) This would be consistent, I think, with Timo's shot of the rear of the engine before the clutch, T/O bearing, etc are installed in the bell housing, where there's no drilled hole for anything at 3 or 9 o'clock. s

11. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
  12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    So it appears 14599 might've been a "transition" point in production with no drilling or tapping on the block and only one (right) side of bell housing drilled/machined.
    Who knows, maybe the machinist at the factory was in the middle of working on this bell housing and having just finished the right side ("9th" ?) stud hole when his foreman walked by and said "Oh, those two are no longer needed"...:rolleyes:

13. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Thanx for your insights, Timo. That's about the only logical explanation I can think of. s