Dan Gurney, R.I.P. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dan Gurney, R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Hocakes, Jan 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    He was a racing and team giant. He also seemed like a good man. I think he suffered a little in comparison to Phil Hill and that's nothing against Phil. He won a Grand Prix championship with Ferrari, won LeMans and was an automotive savant. Gurney was a racer's racer and kept a relatively low profile. I wish I could have talked to him about the thrill of winning a grand prix in your own American car (at Spa no less) and how he ran a great long standing team in sports car racing. A very cool guy.

2. teegeefla

teegeefla Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom Gee
    I missed the pre-race show for the Long Beach Indycar race and I guess there was some sort of tribute to Dan. Did anyone record it and have it available to post here? Thanks.

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I’d like to think that his coffin has a Gurney bubble.

RIP.

Matt

4. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    You didn't miss much. I was disappointed in the tribute. 'Shoulda been a Sam Posey piece.

Best part was seein' this iteration '74 Jorgensen Eagle that son Alex drove around the circuit.....more than words could ever say.

5. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    The piece was odd because Robin Miller who was doing the narrating was saying Josef Newgarden was the next Dan Gurney and that became the focal point of the story almost, at least 35-40% of the story. I know Robin is high on JoNew as being the American that saves Indycar, but the who thing seemed inappropriate. They even interviewed Newgarden after the piece and Josef quickly put that comparison to rest and then went into his Penske corporate speak mode.

Isobel likes this.