Official book collectors thread | Page 94 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Nice book but not great IMHO. I have the regular edition which was once sold off for around DM (!) 50.00.
    The quality of the content doesn't do justice to the collection I think.
    Nevertheless it's a shame, that this collection doesn't exist anymore. I visted the temporary museum in Aschaffenburg three times.

And thanks for heads up regarding the print shop. I didn't know, that it was printed in the heart of swiss watchmakers.

Best Regards
    Martin

2. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    And exactly the point of the bookmaking make the book to a great book!
    The quality is mindblowing!

Yes the content is not great but the cars listed in there are great and i love the book! :)

3. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Nice piece in this months Octane(April 18) Nathan.

4. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
  5. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
  6. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Thank you. I think the writer really gives one a flavour of Ronald's archive. I am so privileged to be working in the archive.
    Nathan

gt4me, -CD- and Ferri like this.
  7. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    A couple of goodies I picked up yesterday at the FCA Art, Model and Literature expo at Continental AutoSports in Hinsdale . . . .

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dino2400 likes this.
  8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Do yourself a favor. Upgrade to the Collectors' Edition. You won't regret it.

10. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I've used the search function with no luck.

Has anyone bought or seen the new large hard covered book entitled...

THE FERRARI BOOK - PASSION FOR DESIGN by teNeaues.

Not cheap but looks interesting.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

11. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Just a collection of pretty pictures. Not worth my money.

Rosey likes this.
  12. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Thanks, the book was sealed so I couldn't flick through it.

13. doyler

doyler Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Colm Doyle
    I purchased this book at the "Ferrari, under the skin" exhibition and am glad I did. Whilst not being a definitive history on Ferrari cars it doesn't purport to be... It is a beautifully produced book with amazing and detailed photos of some of Ferraris most beautiful cars. I have about 40 Ferrari books and another 50ish books on different marques and this book stands out as being one of the nicest, imo.....

Rosey likes this.
  14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  15. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    maximilien and Juli like this.
  16. Juli

Juli Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Stunning!

17. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
    maximilien and -CD- like this.
  18. 410Sport

410Sport Rookie

Sep 3, 2012
    It has been so heart warming hearing the responses we have received about "Inside Track". It was a 13 year project that was a collaboration between myself, Doug, Paul, Derek and Ian and the finished product shows it was well worth the wait. There was never any dissension in the ranks as some have speculated. It was just a tremendous amount of work that took longer then expected by some. I started with Phil's images in 2001 with a exhibit in the paddock at the Monterey Historic.That lead to two additional exhibits there as I found more slides along the way. Starting on the book with Doug led me to four years of interviews with Phil discussing not only each slide but all aspects of his racing career and his life. The interviews were the bases for "Inside Track" and the "Autobiography". It was fantastic to listen to him talk about the tracks, cars and drivers and the adventures he had during his 20 years of racing. His memory was like a library, he could recalling fascinating details which made the text so rich in his telling. It was priceless... After that the heavy lifting was all Doug's. He did an incredible job getting Phil's tapes transcribed, organized and editing the text. The hours and hours and hours he spent on this book was a true labor of love. It was amazing how Paul Vestey hung with this project for as long as he did. He recognized the importance of getting Phil's stories put down on paper and that it needed to be done the right way. Derek and I did the the proof reading of Doug's text, with great help from John Lamm. Phil never throw anything away and Derek was able to going into Phil's archive and scan his racing ephemera. Derek found real treasures like the 1958 Dan Gurney letter he wrote to Phil asking for Phil's help in getting him into professional racing. Derek's hunting and searching really work made the "Autobiography" an amazing story of a true gentleman and a real "car guy". Toward the end it was Ian Lambot who took all of Doug work and the photographs and wove them together in to a form that told Phil's story.
    I have just put up a 7 minute video of the hour talk Derek, John Lamm and I did at the 2017 Pebble Beach Classic Car Forum:
    Enjoy,
    Steve Dawson

franmort, furmano, gt4me and 2 others like this.
  19. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Steve,

Thanks so much for posting this. Please check your private messages later as I have one coming your way.

But I'll just say here how thrilled I am with the book and recommend it highly

Jack

20. 410Sport

410Sport Rookie

Sep 3, 2012
    Jake,
    How do I look at a private message?
    Steve

21. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Steve,

At the top of the page next to your user name there should be a button called "inbox" with a red flag on it if you have a message. Just click on that and follow the prompts. I sent it last night so you should have it. I included my email address in case you want to reply.

Jack

22. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    A book to the glory of its author with many advertising pages about his company !!

Dino2400 likes this.
  23. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    I've read the book and i have to say it has amused me, sometimes even in a positive way... :)

24. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
  25. Blanco-TdF

Blanco-TdF Rookie

Feb 24, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #2350 Blanco-TdF, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Re: Inside Track review

I have previously expressed my extremely positive opinion of all three volumes earlier on this forum.

Issue 224 of Cavalino arrived on Saturday. A very detailed 4 page review of Inside Track written by by Michael T. Lynch starts on page 27. On page 28 he says "Phil had wisely spent an extra dollar per roll to buy Ektachrome film which had survived without almost no fading."

In fact, Phil used Kodachrome. John Lamm confirms that at 2:00 in the video above from 410Sport. He says "Phil only had Kodachrome ASA 25. That is so slow, I can't even set my modern digital camera to go that slow." Kodachrome, not Ektachrome, is known to be the superior archival film.

Several photos from the Fuller Brush catalog are in the Autobiography. They are from 620 format Ektachrome slides taken by Yves Debraine. Debraine was reportedly averse to flash photography and would have used Ektachrome because of its higher ASA value.

The photo below is from the RetroAuto forum at Pebble Beach (The Lodge at Spanish Bay ) on 18 August 2017. It shows Phil's Leica M3 and some of his Kodachrome slides with their red borders. Ektachrome slides have blue borders.

I hope that Lynch's research skills improve before his book on Luigi Chinetti is published. Otherwise it will be another work of "creative nonfiction" like Michael Cannell's The Limit.

Jeff

Attached Files:

Lusso123 and tifoso2728 like this.