Giorgio Piola's technical analysis: Sauber’s clever suspension winglets | FerrariChat

Giorgio Piola's technical analysis: Sauber’s clever suspension winglets

Discussion in 'F1' started by Giorgio Piola, Apr 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Was it interesting for you?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola
    The Sauber Formula 1 team is pushing design boundaries as it attempts to catch its Formula 1 rivals in 2018 with evolutions of its "aggressive" new car concept.

After a difficult 2017 with a tricky car and year-old Ferrari engine, Sauber is expecting a stronger grand prix season after overhauling its aerodynamic philosophy and marrying that to a latest-spec power unit.

It has adopted some radical solutions in areas of its C37, and here Giorgio Piola and Matt Somerfield look at how Sauber is pushing the limits of the rules in its bid to make steps up the grid.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Charles Leclerc, Sauber C37
    Photo by: Sutton Images

One of novel solutions on the C37 is the use of winglets on the already raised upper front wishbone.

The raised wishbone strategy was adopted simultaneously by Mercedes and Toro Rosso last season and helps the airflow find a clearer path to the sidepods and floor behind.

Sauber has utilised the upper elements of this wishbone idea by fitting vertical winglets to help further align the airflow passing through.

This also helps limit the turbulence shed from the tyre alongside and the damage that could cause downstream.

The winglets fall into a grey area of the regulations, with the outer 125mm of the wishbone shroud classified as part of the brake duct rather than as part of the suspension.

This is the first time such winglets have been used so aggressively in F1 on the top surface of the wishbone, but it is not the first time teams have played around in this area.

Back in 2016, Toro Rosso featured a winglet that was hung from the lower wishbone, but this was nowhere near as complex as what Sauber has done.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Sauber C37 cooling inlets
    Photo by: Giorgio Piola

Sauber has also made a lot of effort with its engine packaging, and is treading its own path when it comes to the sidepod solution too.

Rather than adopt the low-slung side impact spar pioneered by Ferrari and copied by several others, it has created multiple inlets above and below the spar which changes the car's aerodynamic profile instead.

Charles Leclerc finished 13th in the season-opening Australian Grand Prix, beating Lance Stroll's Williams, and though teammate Marcus Ericsson retired the Swede had only narrowly missed out on a Q2 slot on Saturday.

Sauber technical director Jorg Zander told Motorsport.com that the team's target was now to avoid having "individual elements that all provide some performance, but are not linked to each other well enough in order to extract more out of it".

"We've got a lot of good features on the car and they do work and provide a certain potential performance," he said.

"What we need to get sorted is all these features being harmonised on a better level.

"It's more to do with an improvement of the overall concept. We simply didn't have enough time to make sure this is all harmonised. I believe if we get this done we can unlock more potential."

Additional reporting by Scott Mitchell

maulaf, Bas, ingegnere and 6 others like this.
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Welcome to FChat. Looking forward to more of your technical analysis as I have read your other analysis from years past.

Bas and ferrariformulauno like this.
  3. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    I love reading your stuff on motorsport.com. All the details we never to get to see on TV. And tons of carbon.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    It's a pleasure to have your expertise, analysis and above all, your wonderfull drawings here on the f1 section of F Chat, i've been looking at your drawings ever since i was a kid and it's amazing to have you here, i hope you like it (here) and come as often as you can!

5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Awesome! Love your work. Please post much much more.

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Grande Giorgio! Spero sia davvero tu! A few questions, :)

What your opinion on Williams, how did they become slower than last year? Lowe, the drivers, Kubika or who else?

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Giorgio, always loved your work. I have all your "Formula 1 Technical Anaylsis" books, which are sometimes so detailed that even I, an engineer myself, have trouble figuring out what's happening! But don't let that stop you; I'm eagerly awaiting the next volume. Mille grazie!

8. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola
    Thank you, really appreciate it!

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  9. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola
    Means a lot, thank you!

10. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola
    Thank you! I'll try my best :)

crinoid likes this.
  11. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola
    Thank you so much, does mean a lot!

Igor Ound and ferrariformulauno like this.
  12. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Now this is real F1 talk.

jgonzalesm6 and crinoid like this.
  13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Wow - Giorgio Piola on FChat! Welcome and grazie tanto for your insight. I've been a huge fan since your Autosprint days.

And thank you again for taking the time many years ago to respond to my e-mail to you asking about your discovery of the first ever splitter you discovered on the Rory Byrne designed '86 Benetton and the drawing you made of it.

Giorgio Piola and Igor Ound like this.
  14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I always read your articles with great interest, happy you're here Giorgio!

15. Gator

Gator Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 29, 2006
    Mesquite, NV
    Full Name:
    Darryl Van Dorn
    I am also glad you have joined F Chat. I always go to the Official F1 Website to see your technical updates before and after every race.

Giorgio Piola likes this.
  16. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Benvenuto Giorgio !! I've read and heard a lot about you on both RAI and Channel 4 F1 broadcasts.

Giorgio Piola likes this.
  17. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola
    Thank you so much!

18. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola
    My pleasure! Thank you for such a warm welcome!

19. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola
    Thank you! Sorry for a delay, still figuring out how to use functionality of the chat :)

20. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola
    Really appreciate it! Sorry for a delay, I'm still confused how to use the chat..

21. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola
    Unfortunately, Williams team is in a big technical crisis, 2 years ago the car was much better. I believe, there was some help from Mercedes there. One of the biggest problem is that this year's car, from what I see, suffers a lot with the cooling, it overheats. Paddy Lowe wanted to have similar solution he had for Mercedes, but something went wrong. I do believe this season will be very difficult, but I'm sure Paddy Lowe has the capability to transform the team, but he needs time, at least 3 seasons to plan step by step and make progress.
    Kubica for me is one of the biggest talents in Formula 1, but, unfortunately, he had massive accident, which caused big damage to him. He definitely has the potential to be a very good driver and without that accident he would have been one of the top drivers at the moment.

crinoid and Igor Ound like this.