First drives of the year? | FerrariChat

First drives of the year?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Apr 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Those of us not fortunate enough to live in warm climates are waking our cars up at this time of the year and indulging in the joys (or otherwise!) of that first drive.

I took my 550 out last week and fell in love with it all. over. again.

Which is strange. I drove pretty much exactly the same roads as last time (last summer) at the same speeds. Yet this time I revelled in the cool-classic interior, the weight of the steering, the sound of the engine, the feel as you accelerate out of corners even at normal speeds. And that when you do push it around a series of roundabouts or whatever, it really shows its pedigree, agile, joyful, encouraging you to push, never getting unruly or leaning too much. Unlike any other V12 GT.

I don’t know why I appreciated her so much more - maybe absence just makes the heart grow fonder. Maybe it’s the supercars I have reviewed in the meantime which are all show, all go, but lacking in soul.

I dunno. But I loved it.

It also reinforced my view that the 550 and 575 are just more different than people may think.

Anyone else have any first drives they’d like to talk about?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Natkingcolebasket69, Bas and NE550 like this.
  2. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Not a first drive but a first spot of a $10m+ Ferrari this morning at my local dealer. My wife laughed bc she said I have everything and she doesn’t understand how I, a grown man, was so excited to see a car but when you see a 250 swb in person you jut get giddy, def most expensive car I’ve ever seen in person and that says a lot bc there’s a nice koenigsegg at my condo. Bottom pic you see my poor 575 it’s never been so normal as it was today. Still think maranellos are the most beautiful Ferrari ever made but the 250 SWB is a close 2nd and if the owner wanted to trade it for my 575 I'd definitely hear him/her out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Themaven likes this.
  3. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    It is beautiful but you can't drive it :)

4. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp

5. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    Have owned my Rosso - Crema manual 355GTB for coming up to 8 years now and today i fell in love with it all over again.

Car has not been started since October last year and has sat untouched in hibernation inside its dehumidified car chamber with its life support battery conditioner attached.

Slightly anxious I admit but it transpires I needn't have worried.

She starts first turn of the key, perfect idle, no unusual or concerning noises or emissions.

Reverse out of drive, no fluids of any type whatsoever on the floor.

Gentle 10 mile drive to get every important dial up to the 12'o clock position and then rip it through 8,000 rpm 2nd 3rd & 4th

Back now tucked away and ticking gently in the garage.

I am back in love with my red pony

Themaven likes this.
  6. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    We are have an "historic" blizzard today. 12-18" snowfall predicted... :-(

7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks Bill..

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Will not rub it in on first drives here.

Have you considered putting an FHP steering ECU in your 550? Will make her feel very similar to your 575M and takes about 5 minutes to install or uninstall, since it is pretty much a glorified relay. MSW can give you a good deal on one.

9. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Why would you ask this when he said he loved the way his 550 felt and drove and made no mention of issues with steering or suspension?

10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I had my first drive of the year in my 550 about a month ago, when I drove it up to our house in GLOS. to swap it for my Dino, which was due for its annual visit to Carrs here in Exeter. It was, as always, a joy to drive the 550 - effortless power, fluid steering, precise handling, a pleasure to play with the gearbox, remarkably comfortable ride, and it doesn't feel like the heavyweight it is when you get to the twisty bits. Pretty much perfect IMO and a car that makes me feel really proud to own whenever I look at it.

I picked up the Dino from its service etc. last week and, it being a rare dry day, I took it out for a spin on Devon's back roads before returning home - it's first outing since the drive back to Exeter when I took it into Carrs. A totally different experience from the 550, but an equally enjoyable one: light, nimble, very direct, and an engine you just can't help taking to the red line before changing up to the next gear.

I do like this time of year, with the summer to which to look forward and hopefully many opportunities to exercise the cars in fine weather, but . . . .

. . .it's raining today:(

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  11. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I did same on my 456m and it’s awesome. He has choices to choose from too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Ice storm out there today. Time for a coat of wax in the garage. GTS Bruce

13. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
  14. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Went for my first drive of 2018 a few weeks back and been driving since. I was looking forward to a bit of a drive in my 550 down to Buffalo this weekend to visit Dave at Stickyrx and pick up my finished parts. I was going to put them back on the car at his place then drive home to Toronto. That was until winter decided to return! Friday seems more like it was my last drive of the season. Freezing rain, ice pellets, rain, and snow all weekend long.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    plk103- You are a newbie and Darius has stated in the past that his FHP 575M has much better steering feel than his 550. Since the FHP steering ECU is identical for both the 550 and 575M (as are the FHP springs and rear anti-roll bar), a swap may improve steering feel.

So that is why I asked him the question.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    plk103- You are newbie and apparently have not been following Darius' reports on his FHP 575M and 550 in which he stated the FHP 575M steering feel was far superior to the 550 steering feel. Since the FHP steering ECU is identical on the 550 and 575M, as are the FHP springs and rear anti-roll bar, it is an easy retrofit and will improve his 550's steering feel.

So that is why I asked him if he has tried it.

Same thing applies to your 550. The FHP steering ECU will improve steering feel. Also fits the 456M. Widely applied upgrade for our V12s.

17. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Taz

Where can I get this ECU ?
    Can you send me the contact.

Daniel

18. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks Taz. That is a very good idea.

19. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    What a coincidence; I was making my way to this sub-forum to write an identical sentiment in a new thread. We had some relief in the weather and I got the 599 out for a drive last weekend and the 550 this weekend. Thanks for getting the conversation started, Darius.

In short, the 550 experience is just perfect - I savor the satisfaction and enjoyment unlike any other car. With every year, the car becomes more special. With the exponential rate of "development" of new cars, the special-ness of the 550 compensates commensurately. In contrast to the 599, there's no doubt that the 550 is the last of the line with regard to the manual V12 experience of yesteryear. Modern classic has been overused in the last couple of years, but if one car is deserving of that label, it's the 550 Maranello.

-Joe

20. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    The new cars really are amazing machines but I can't put my finger on it, don't want to phrase it the wrong way but the F12 just had no soul when I drove it. I drove it maybe 3 months ago and was about to pull the trigger on an even swap of my SLR for a 2015 F12 bc I figured after owning the 575 I would love the F12. It just felt alot like a bentley GT when I drove it and it didn't have that feeling of the 575. It was just too refined if thats even possible. The f12 was literally the best car I've ever driven, the drive, the sound system, everything was unreal yet I didn't want it. I don't know, the 575 just has a feeling I can't describe that makes it such a fun drive. I don't know maybe Im weird, but I like my exotics to feel different and I feel like these newer ferraris are a bit too tame, anyone else feel that way?

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- Cribbj (John Cribb) and ferraridriver (Dave Burch) are the two primary principles and you can PM them (start a conversation). The OEM part is still available, too, but more expensive (part number 175891). ~$500 from Ricambi, 300 pounds from Maranello Classic Parts.

Image courtesy of Ricambi.

22. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
  23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    And Dave, it was interesting what you and John said in that original thread, about the original 550 steering being better when you needed more power assistance.

Is the gearing (turns lock to lock) on all 550s and 575s the same?

Back on the original subject, I haven't yet taken the 575 out for her first drive this year. Something to look forward to.

24. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, at least the rack has the same part number so I would assume they're the same.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Since you are already used to driving with FHP steering, the change will not affect you at all. The racks, pumps, etc are all interchangeable on the Maranellos. During the 10 years I have been driving with FHP, I have never felt the need for more boost at any speed. Especially compared to my old Daytona.