Should Max get a suspension from races? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Should Max get a suspension from races?

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Apr 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    What a nonsense....even Max admitted this time that it was purely his fault but still some couch experts know better...If you think that "hard racing" means that you can drive in everybody else on every occasion you might have a very exclusive opinion about what racing is about. Please watch Nascar or go to the kermess and play bumper car there if you like that, but not open wheel formulas.

2. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    In this interview with Max (13:30) this is the first time I have sensed some humility. His body language, tone of voice and the words he chose sounded different to me then previous occasions. I don't know if it was his discussion with Vettel, Horner or someone else but I'd like to think he finally woke up.

To me he sounds like a kid who is saying "I can't keep ****ing up like this. I need to find a way to still be aggressive but choose my overtaking moments better".

3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Nonsense. There’s hard racing, and there’s ignorance and lack of common sense. Max is the one we are discussing, no one else. He has no need to do what he did, and even he admitted as much afterwards. Hopefully he’ll get banned rather than killed in one of his stupid lunges. If he’s so good, how come it all ends in a crash? Ricciardo doesn’t make such mistakes, yet his moves are very similar

By the way, in the race thread, a contributor posted pictures of the damage done to Sebs car if you are genuinely interested

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I expect Marko has made it very clear to Max who is the boss ,and ohh by the way we do have a few new guys on the payroll looking for a seat ..in the nicest possible way.

Look how ruthless they were were Kvyat ..

Finlander, jgonzalesm6 and daytona355 like this.
  5. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Two races in a row, and Max has had contact with Hamilton (Bahrain) with no penalty since it ultimately forced Max to retire. Almost contact with HAM in China with Max going off track, no penalty but it sure seemed like HAM just gave him a warning there. Contact with VET costing VET more spots than VER and for the first time in this string VER gets a penalty. The first two didn't really cost Hamilton anything, while the third cost VET some places, so that was the right place for some type of penalty.

I agree that he's still immature, only because he threw away a Red Bull 1-2, so I would at least hope the RB team on the radio were letting him know this in some way. I don't think he's immature in causing these incidents, by being aggressive he's got to figure it out for himself that most of the time he's losing positions up against HAM/VET etc, while maybe most of the time he's easily passing the other drivers.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Vettel crashed into everything that moved for a while also, even in 2010 (at that point far more racing experience than Verstappen) still he had a few daft moves (the Mark Webber Turkey thing, the late move that ended into a big shunt at Spa with Button spring to mind immediately). Vettel was hated here (how many times have we seen posts that Vettel should be banned?), and now he is loved. My opinion is he realized he ****ed up immediately, I never seen him own up to anything yet this case he did. Even when found guilty in other cases he refused to acknowledge it. Looks to me so far he's realized the seriousness of his error, he's thrown away a certain win, and more to his pain is that Ricciardo won the race.

This doesn't excuse Verstappens' actions of course. We know he's capable of amazing things just needs to calm down a little bit.

7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The Red Bull public statements via Horner are well placed and well thought out messages to Max. I have no doubt he has a good awareness of those implications contained.

crinoid and subirg like this.
  8. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #33 TifosiUSA, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Thing about Max is when he is successful in taking someone out he always makes sure it is a Ferrari

He has been a complete joke this year. Spinning out of control in Australia, qualifying crash in Bahrain, running into Lewis in Bahrain, and torpedoing Vettel in China.

His race craft is pathetic.

9. DF1

Marko -
    Indeed, speaking after the Chinese grand prix, where Verstappen made high profile errors, another Red Bull boss Dr Helmut Marko insisted: "Daniel was flawless.

"You can see who can overtake and who cannot. Max was too impetuous," he told Austrian broadcaster ORF.

daytona355 likes this.
  10. DF1

Right now Max is a bit over paid lol :)

11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    This is the result of telling the kid he's tehy brightedt star in the world, treating him like royalty befire he has acomplished anything....over pampering....he drives like a spoilt brat because that's the way they have been treating him at Red Bull. Everyone aknowledges he's got skills, but unless he uses them correctly, he wont ge very far, i have seen better than him ending up with nothing, and they didn't made anywhere close as many mistakes. It's no secret i dislike him (you crash into a Ferrari once you're already on my blacklist....well, he already has a whole book in hisn name!) but even if i didn't, he scvrews up too many times to be as good as some people want to pass him. he may be a litle bit quicker than ricci, amazing in the rain, but he loses everywhere else!

daytona355 and NEP like this.
  12. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    (Sadly) Some of the other drivers need to stop avoiding Max and let him crash into them (way too often he just blows up the inside from way back and only evasive action by the car in front prevents a crash).

13. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
  14. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound

Will need substantial updates after this year

crinoid likes this.
  15. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    hilarious!!!!

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Not all of us. Ferrari is the one who put Ferrari in Max's crosshairs

The issue is did Max ruin another racer's race unfairly -- Ferrari or anyone else. In fact he did because he himself admitted it.

crinoid and daytona355 like this.
  17. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    Opinions vary, and I do respect all others, even if I don't agree. !
    News just shown on the internet with accompanying footage is that ''Vettel is highly critical of Riccados overtaking him''

For goodness sake..........it was a perfect, safe, text-book overtake.........just Seb throwing his toys out of the pram, as usual.

18. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Obviously the penalty points system will get him suspended sooner or later, but that's not the point. He needs to recognise, all by himself, that being a crash test dummy is just damaging his long term prospects of achieving anything in the sport. He's a great talent (would anyone pick Stroll over him??) but he has to show he can adapt or he'll be turned into the next Maldonado in double quick time.

crinoid and daytona355 like this.
  19. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    He has to much upside to ignore or simply be written off because of these mistakes. I've said it before and I'll say it again: If I had to pick two drivers for my team they would be Hamilton and Max Verstapen.

20. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    No.

Lotaz likes this.
  21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yes..(he sjould be penalized)..no (i wouldn't pick neither Elton or max)

22. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I don't think there should be a different set of rules for Max versus everyone else...on either side of the coin. As much as racing is a competition, there is a certain amount of cooperation that's associated with proper rules of engagement. Max is not the first driver to toss these aside and assume that he can push his way to the front, other drivers be damned. There should be consistent rules in place to punish this behavior, but there aren't. As a result, many have done that in the past without any real punishment. Grosjean and Maldonado seemed to be punished primarily by having broken cars, but I don't recall any race suspensions.

Max should be careful though...I recall another driver adopting similar tactics around 2010/11. He suddenly found himself being driven off the track by everyone when he attempted any type of passing maneuver. I can see that coming into play again very soon.

23. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Maybe baby Max is taking vengeance out on Ferrari for not hiring his dad. LOL

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  24. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    As many has said.....Max is overrated. The good results that he has in races are due to driver DNF ....Like when Hamilton & Rosberg took them self out.
    Ricardo is who RB should focus on.
    OH, and you think Ferrari f'ed up on strategy .......don't forget what happened to Ricardo at Monaco.

25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Ricciardo at Monaco was the first thing I thought of when RBR doubled-stacked the pitstops--twice.