V8 Levante | Page 3 | FerrariChat

V8 Levante

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by staatsof, Nov 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Yes, I know.
    Once I almost bought a race car from the Trofeo MC World Series 2014.

As you can read user Bay had doubts regarding the name "Trofeo" because Alfa Romeo used this name already for a few "special" models. I guess now is it clear, his doubts were unnecessary.

bay likes this.
  2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    For Maserati in the 21st century anyway Trofeo had a very different meaning until now. It was much more than Sport. At best this new version of the Levante is a Sport model so this a quite tortured use of the term for cutesy marketing purposes.
    Maserati has been quite sloppy when it comes to respecting and with the caretaking ever single the end of the 60-70s era GT cars. They neglected to protect the Bora name so now it's VW POS :rolleyes:. They never should have named the Biturbo coupe redesign a Ghibli II because it wasn't one even if it was a nice car. Then they used it again for a mid sized sedan more recently. Is there a Corvette sedan or Thunderbird sedan? No. So Trofeo it its then. Whatever ...

redcaruser likes this.
  3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Very boring side profile. They missed an opportunity to make it stand out more from the side with some interesting differences from the regular model.

4. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
  5. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    IMO you're right Boo, I fully agree, that could be done better.

6. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
  7. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My wife wants one of these Trofeo's and there is nada at the dealership and even limited videos online. Hopefully more info will flow in soon.

8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Yeah, same here. We are planning to trade the QP GTS for one later this year if we can get one. I would be happy with the GTS but someone else has said that isn't going to be in the US for another year.

9. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ok perfect, no rush for us! I have heard nothing thus far.

10. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Bundy likes this.
  11. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    From the article: "A special Levante Trofeo Launch Edition, offered only in the United States and Canada, includes additional black exterior details, a serialized Launch Edition badge on the center console, and available black leather seats with Launch Edition–exclusive blue or yellow stitching. Production of the Levante Trofeo begins this summer with sales expected to start shortly thereafter."

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

Oh goody, who doesn't want a serialized launch edition badge on the center console so that you know it's special! Will it say limited somewhere on the exterior as well? :rolleyes:

13. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    :D

14. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #64 darth550, Apr 21, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
    I traded my RRS Autobiography for a '19 GTS a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it so far. I drove all over Hell's half acre last weekend (300+miles) and had a blast. I was a little weary of the interior downgrade from the RRS at first but the motor and great stereo make all that go away. Thing fits like a glove, sounds great and hauls ass! :D

Still considering a Formula Dynamics chip, though... Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

staatsof and Bundy like this.
  15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Probably a stupid question to ask you at this point since I suspect that you've had your foot planted in it most of the time but ... one of these is available near me for $66K with 28K miles and I'm wondering what the real world mileage is like if you're careful? Is it even 14/18? A stelvio Quadrifilio isn't quite the same thing but ... it's performance is close AND I'm hearing highway mileage can be in the mid 20's if you're careful.

darth550 likes this.
  16. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    After 3 tanks... 8-10 full-footed, 14-16 with restraint. 20's would be like staring at a pepperoni pizza while eating rice cakes! Who the hell wants to do that? It's a lot of vehicle for the $$.

SAFE4NOW and staatsof like this.
  17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks.

darth550 likes this.
  18. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #68 staatsof, Jun 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    These are reviews of the Trofeo version MY 2020 which has a bit more HP but what I'm wondering is if the GTS version with a slightly detuned V8 has all the great handling characteristics?

These guys love the car.
    I can see that the engine bay isn't quite as spectacular.

VERY long so skip to the 18 min mark.

19. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    The Trofeo does have slightly different springs and launch control, as well as the extra 40hp for the 40K of MSRP over the GTS. Of course the delta between them used is much less. Formula Dynamics can remap a GTS ECU to get 60bhp and (I think?) 40#torque for $1595, which puts it at 610. They can't get 60 more out of the Trofeo though. They do suspension too so it's just a matter of money and inconvenience. Cheaper to mod a GTS than paying more for a Trofeo.

20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    One other thing I noticed is that brakes on the Trofeo are much bigger. I'm not sure I would need that. It seems that oil/filter service is @ 10K miles and that some people change their tires about the same time as well.

darth550 likes this.
  21. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I haven't had any circumstances that I felt I needed more brakes yet. I looked at some listings and see that a Trofeo similar to my GTS in miles and options would be 18-22K more so, in my mind, a <10K difference would be more justifiable. I'll probably do the Formula Dynamics ECU after my warranty expires early next year so it feels "New again". :) YMMV

Either way, I'm loving this vehicle so far. I haven't had a vehicle that shakes my house on cold starts since the straight-piped + Tubi 550 days! :D

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  22. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I just did a 20-mile freeway run with the I.C.E. setting on, and it reached 18.2 AVG MPG. I suspect it would have gone a little higher had I not pushed it earlier in the trip.

staatsof likes this.
  23. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I saw this GTS color combo (green / tan) and thought it was really nice but apparently most them are white or black :(

24. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I saw that one. Interesting combo.

25. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think I may have been wrong about this. But they're certainly not as ginormous as those found on some of their competition. AFAIK no carbon rotors available either. I've never owned a car that had those like the Alfa Quadrofoglio can have. I'm not sure I even want to go there ...