Ferrari Triple Seal Tool PN 95972122/AV 2122 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Triple Seal Tool PN 95972122/AV 2122

Discussion in '348/355' started by POLO35, Apr 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Hey guys I was wondering if anybody owns and/or could post a photograph of the actual Ferrari triple seal removal tool. The part number is 95972122 and is also known as AV 2122. I have a friend that has a nicely equipped machine shop and was thinking of reverse engineering the tool. There has got to be a better way to install these things other than Coke bottles packing tape heat guns hose clamps and boiling water! All of which I have done and it is ridiculous. Moreover I would just like to say what a horrible design the whole thing is to begin with...even with brand new seals, meticulously and carefully installed... it's still leaks a slight amount of gear oil... it's just a lousy lousy design. Anyway a photo of the tool would be greatly appreciated I might even contact my local Ferrari dealer to see if the tool is even still available. Whether I buy one or make one I'd be happy to loan it out to fellow Fchatters. Thanks in advance. Matt.

LeMaine and Pangea like this.
  2. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    BTW...Just curious if anyone ever tried installing O-rings instead of the triple seals... might not last as long but might actually seal better? Just curious

3. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Matt,
    I just recently went through what you are going through. I replaced the triple seals with the OEM ones from Ricambi. While apart I noticed that the only wet area was the very bottom of the transaxle, So I cleaned everything very well and put the seals in using a cut piece of plastic bottle and zip ties. Worked OK.
    After driving through the summer, noticed leak was back. This time I took and all-out attack. So I ordered new viton triple seals from superperformance (much better design, and easier to install), the throwout bearing support oring, input shaft oring and new Hill Engineering complete slave cylinder. I also replaced the oring on the layshaft end cover too. The leak was definitely gear oil and I believe was the oring from the throwout bearing support flange.
    I know this sounds like carpet bombing a problem, but remember these cars are 20 plus yrs old and any chance I get to replace a suspect gasket, seal, oring or any other bio degrading part/assembly, I'm going to take it. I believe in order to really "get" these cars, you have to enjoy working on them as much as you enjoy driving them! :) Hope this helps. John

PS- You could also put some florescent dye in the gearbox oil and after pumpkin removal, check it with a black light.

tatry68 and MAD828 like this.
  4. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    I, too, just went through this yesterday...! Mine weren't leaking, but thought while the clutch is being done, change them out. I now have serious doubts as to whether I should have...What a PITA! If anyone has used Orings, or other material, would love to hear as well. Heating, stretching, clamping in the hope of returning to normal size, then gently coercing the seals back in with the hope that all is well... is just that... hope! Do these seals take an enormous amount of heat in the tranny shaft? What specs must they meet?

5. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Yes it is a horrible design at best. Mine leaked pretty much immediately following the replacement. Not bad, but a slow drip. I really think that an oring would seal better because it's more pliable and if sized correctly would seal side to side in its groove as well and seal better than the triple seals... which are actually quite loose in the groove. I' going to try the orings, but I'm still curious to see this tool....will call Ferrari tomorrow for some info and will post!

6. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I don't think putting o-rings is a good idea. O-rings are for stationary sealing, not for sealing of rotating surfaces. I think they will be gone in no time, especially since they are not in permanent contact with oil. The triple seals need to have small clearances, something like piston rings. They are compressed only against the outer tube but have clearances (or very light touch) towards the grooves in the rotating shaft.

Pangea likes this.
  7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    O rings won't work in this application because they need to be flush with the shaft that the triple seals are on (triple seals are flush).

From what I recall, there is very little clearance and since o rings rest a little higher than their surrounding surface they'd get shredded in no time.

8. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    After thinking about it I agree Orings would not work at all they would wear out rapidly. However I did find the ultimate installation tool for the triple seals! So the problem with the water bottle trick is you are actually stretching the seals Way Beyond the diameter of the shaft... if you think about the thickness of the water bottle, which doesn't seem like much, however wrapped around the entire shaft actually adds up to significantly... so now you have stretched the triple seal Way Beyond the diameter of the shaft. I borrowed my friend's hydraulic swaging tool which is used in HVAC to swage copper. I stretched the seals just barely enough to slip over the shaft but, no more. Worked perfectly! Then was very easy to slide shaft back in. I did call my local Ferrari dealer and they had absolutely zero information on the triple seal tool other than a price....$720, none in stock and a 2 to 3 month lead time to order! They couldn' even provide me with any photos or literature! Very Lame!

9. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    I just installed the viton seals from Superformance and they were very easy to install. I haven't run the car yet, but I suspect everything will be fine.

10. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Were the viton seals difficult to stretch over the shaft? Are they more pliable in other words did they spring back to their original shape better than the original

11. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    They are like rubber bands. Very easy to stretch and they went back to their original diameter.

12. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
  13. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Sorry, mine were Hill seals from SP !! Part nmbr 137249

14. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    fmaderi and ernie like this.
  15. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Those Viton seals look good. I ordered a set just in case my installation of the OEM ones go south!

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Beetle and vjlax18 like this.
  17. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    And they work well

18. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    After over 5 years I decided to re introduce this thread with the hopes that somebody may have Come up with an actual tool. I'm getting ready to redo my seals and was just hoping that someone may have a better method of installation and/or the actual Ferrari tool with a photograph.

19. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    ernie likes this.
  20. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I saw that.. very clever. But if you're using OEM seals you are having to stretch that seal the thickness of that bag multiplied by the diameter of the shaft which is way beyond a normal amount and then you have to crush them back down to get them back into the bore. Honestly it's really more of a pet project for me to see what this tool actually looks like it's hard to believe that no one out there owns 1 or has a picture of 1

21. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  22. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Oh....very cool. Will look into it. Thank you

23. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Our brother in exile is working on a tool for us that is *exactly* what we need... We just need to be patient. I am waiting anxiously but I know it will be worth it.

Carmellini likes this.
  24. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    ^^^^^^any idea when this will be available?

25. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I just heard from Dave and, as you can imagine, he is extremely busy. He hasn't been able to get to this yet. That is the only update that I have.

The good news is that if/when it's done it will be of impeccable quality just like all his other tools and refinishing.

I sure do miss him on here.

Carmellini, INRange and Ferrarium like this.