Ferrari 599 - opinions on future market | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 599 - opinions on future market

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by wheretheroadends, Apr 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    So 599 then? Hehehehehe joking

430 stick, would be the one that sticks out...... especially in the US, as the stick was even less specified in the US I would imagine. Only thing I worry about with that, massive plus is the manual box, it can be rebuilt easier, less reliant on tech etc etc, BUT, is the nostalgia for a manual gearbox a bit of a fad, rather than long term collectors requirement? I mean, we all love the old manual boxes, but overall, is it not the car that is the star, with the manual just one small part? I would be careful that the Scud, almost limited edition, would be more desirable in years to come, its the special edition (not sure on numbers produced, but i think a fair bit less than stock 430, although more than stradale or GTO of course.)

For me, having a manual box on the older cars, ones that are built around a manual box, and have the tech that is only as quick, or a little quicker, than the manual box reacts, is the way to go of course, but on the new cars, with their reliance overall performance and handling wise on fantastically quick and complicated technology, the DSG actually ADDS to the car, so a manual box would be a nostalgic hint at ferraris past, but it would actually hold the car back and interfere with its overall greatness

I’m probably wrong, usually am, but it’s definately a tough one to buy a car on the basis of least financial loss. I’ve almost always lost money on em, but I have got to say, as long as they made me smile every time I opened the garage, I don’t care a jot

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well when comes to cars I am the last person anyone should ask about sound financial advise. The way I buy, sell and modify them (I probably loose 40-80k a year), it is always about how much I will loose on this one. My thoughts many not matter but outside of the meltdown year I have averaged 26.8 % in the stock market per year in the last 20 years. It is partly the way mind sees things and probably luck as well but something always seems to pop out at me when I research a company, and I research at least a dozen every day (I do not sleep that much). Cars are my fun, I don't take vacations (I have had 3 in 30 years). I enjoy (or what I understand enjoyment to be) driving them, taking care of them, nothing like a nice early morning drive (on a beautiful morning like the one I see today), and then coming home a pulling another car out to wash, wax, & polish. If I ever started to worry what my cars were worth, then they would no longer be any fun for me. In about 15 minutes I will be taking out the 430 (Algar is having a Ferrari coffee chat at Starbucks), then drop of the 430, pick up the 4C (Algar did the annual service). Later the Evora 400 will get its first spring clean up, and the Porsche came out of hibernation yesterday, need to change battery,do a systems check (it always throws codes when it sits awhile) and make sure everything is working properly. That's what cars are to me, and I hope that never changes.

Texas Forever and daytona355 like this.
  3. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    So sticking to this topic - is it posssible for a F1 599 to be converted to a manual?

4. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    yes will be a fortune, i got 2 quotes from my 575 and one was $30k and then the best shop I know was $50k. I would rather go with the better shop if I had to do it. Regardless though I think the F1 single disc clutch systems will be classic one day as everything is now dual clutch so not sure converting these F1 systems is too wise bc they really didn't make too many in the scope of things.

5. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Probably. Unfortunately their hydraulic system is a little problematic and also you can't "play" with the car so much. :) For $30K I would consider it, to be honest :)

6. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
  7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    200 599's?

Wow $20 mio ++ profit?

not bad...o_O

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    When a stock starts out at under 30 cents (you can buy a whole lot of it), it is not as hard as you think. Unfortunately you also need to be autistic to be able to think like I do, it is a high price to pay.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would build on these thoughts. First the disclaimer, I think the 599 looks great and goes great. And I've owned one. And when the 599 came out, it made the 550 and 575 seem ancient. But, what some of us missed was that the 550 and 575 have some real charm to them. The 599 lose some of that in the name of modernity. But the tech in the 599 (and F1 in the 575) was really more of bridging the gap from the older more analog cars and the newer more digital cars. I agree the 599, 612, F430, 360, they all fall into this kind of no-man's land. Its not just the transmission, though thats one of the more obvious places to point. Its the whole chassis, its the electronic systems, they are getting there but not really all the way there. The FF,458,F12 generation is really the first generation of truly modern Ferraris. Also the 599 and even the F430 to a lesser extent, are prone to developing rattles and other annoyances. They are very reliable cars, but the build quality just isn't at the same level of the modern cars.

I don't really watch the market that carefully, but the last time I looked at dealer websites, it seems nice 550s are asking even money, or maybe even a little more, than nice 599s? That strikes me as a little crazy, but it also could be what G. Pepper and I am getting on about with the different generations.

I agree with those saying the 599 likely will continue to go down a bit. I doubt it will have really drastic moves, but I don't think you can just park your money. I think a 550 likely holds its value better. Or a 355 or even a 360 manual.