Official book collectors thread | Page 95 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Exotic_Car_Guy

Exotic_Car_Guy Karting

Apr 2, 2003
    California, Carmel
    Full Name:
    Gil Lucero
    Does this Ferrari 70 Years book have any photos/info on the 458 Spider? LaFerrari?

Besides photos, what kind of model information and marque history does it have?

2. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    It covers the 458 Italia and 458 Spider together, briefly. It has nice photos of a yellow 458 Spider. It's a nice marque history book. It's on Amazon fairly cheap right now.

3. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
  4. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Dino2400 likes this.
  5. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    -CD- and of2worlds like this.
  6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Has anyone seen this book yet? It is the latest in an occasional series, with prior volumes having been done on Villeneuve and Senna.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Incidentally, a companion volume on Michael Schumacher is due out in November.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  7. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I have a copy but, rather unhelpfully, haven't read it yet. I have read the Villeneuve volume and enjoyed it: Not brilliant or a must have (the usual imperfect Giorgio Nada English translation) but worth what I paid for it and thus, for me, worth getting the Andretti volume too.

Jonathan

ivo73 likes this.
  8. Exotic_Car_Guy

Exotic_Car_Guy Karting

Apr 2, 2003
    California, Carmel
    Full Name:
    Gil Lucero
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do have the Ferrari factory issued hardcover brochure on the 458 Spider and several 458 specific publications so now I'm looking for a broader Ferrari book that also includes these newer models (as a long time Ferrari owner, most of my general Ferrari books drop off around 2000). Does the Ferrari 70 years book cover the La Ferrari?

9. Fiat2Ferrari

Fiat2Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Chicago
    I bought my first Ferrari book recently. I am through chapter three and I am finding this is more about the marque's origins (rather, the man and each car.) It is entitled, "Ferrari". This is the third edition and the author is Hans Tanner.

So far so good. Though, I missed the page where they write about when the prancing horse was first used.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That is perhaps the classic Ferrari book, first written in 1959. Tanner died in 1975 and the book has been updated by Doug Nye, though I believe the most recent edition (6th) dates to 1984.

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes, it's been a long time and it seems unlikely it'll ever be revised again.

12. Fiat2Ferrari

Fiat2Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Chicago
    Wait, so you think it is valuable? (Kidding.)

13. 410Sport

410Sport Rookie

Sep 3, 2012
    Jeff,
    Yves Debraine gave Phil the 4x5 color transparencies outtakes from the Fuller Brush shoot. Phil took them home, put them in a brown paper and put them in his closet. 40 years later I found them in the same paper bag in the bottom of that closet. The most amazing thing was how beautifully preserved they.were. Resting in a cool, dark, moisture-free environment the 4x5 Ektachrome transparencies look like they were taken yesterday! Most Ektachrome taken in the 1950’s have long ago faded or turned pink. It was like discovering a piece from Pharaoh’s tomb.
    Steve

14. 410Sport

410Sport Rookie

Sep 3, 2012
    Petersen Museum on May 9th 6:00 - 9:00 pm Derek Hill & I will be giving a presentation about
    Phil Hill’s book Inside Track. We gave a
    similar talk last year at 2017 Pebble Beach and earlier this year at the Blackhawk Museum. I will
    have a copy of The Collector edition, the Autobiography and one of the first new Bookshop editions there for people to look through if you haven’t seen one yet. I am not sure if this is the collect place to post this information. If not could someone could help me post this to the correct area on this site. https://www.petersen.org/events/2018/5/9/phil-hill-tribute-book-launch
    Thank you,
    Steve Dawson

tifoso2728 likes this.
  15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Yesterday I received a notice to go to FedEx and pick up a large, heavy carton, inside of which was another large, heavy carton. Inside was the long-awaited Bookshop Edition of Phil Hill's "Inside Track".

I've already been criticized for not buying the Collectors Edition, but the price difference, $975 vs $400, was just too much. This is already the second most expensive book I've ever purchased, second only to the three-volume "24 Hours of Le Mans Encyclopedia" I acquired a few years ago. It is quite a load; I weighed it (with slipcase) at 11.6 pounds, and it measures 13 x 13 x 2.5. I'm certain even this "popularly priced" (!) edition will become a collectors item in due time.

I have gone through it and it is quite spectacular. The images are excellent and the commentary that goes with them is even better. So far my favorite is the one of Enzo and Phil together in the pits at Modena, when Ferrari invited Phil to join the factory team. And some of the early images of Phil with Richie Ginther and Dan Gurney are priceless. Then there are the images of Levegh's ill-fated Mercedes before the 1955 Le Mans...

You can get some idea of the massiveness of this volume by these photos. That 512S Coda Lunga (newly acquired, BTW) in the second photo is 1/18, so it is not a small model.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  17. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I have the GTO book by Keith Bluemel. Very thorough.

18. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    I've all 3 books. The 'great car series' by Porter are all worth buying. They give an indent story on the development, history of the model and the specific history of the chassis mentioned. There are not many restoration pictures in these books but have a chapter with H.R. studio shots.

The 275 book is just the opposite, it gives an thorough inside look on the complete restoration of the car and the book is full of pictures during the process. A side-note for this book... Some pictures are really 'artistic' and sometimes it's hard to tell what you're looking at!

I do like the 275 book but i prefer the great car series as for the history.

Maarten

NürScud likes this.
  19. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Thanks a lot Maarten for the feedback. I'm considering buying all 3 books. The first that i saw was the 275 book and when i started searching about it i saw the others of the series, including the Ford GT40.

Thank you again.

:)

20. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    All books in the 'great car series' are interesting. I have some books on the Jaguar E and D type. C-Type and indeed the one on the GT-40 are following shortly!

Happy reading!

Maarten

21. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    Is it some kind of promotional brochure for the book? Has anybody received information when the actual books are available?

22. 360cs France

360cs France Rookie

Feb 23, 2015
    Paris
    Books are very limited (less than 2000 copies) and all sold

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant FerrariChat

23. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R