Southwest Airlines Emergency Landing at PHL | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Southwest Airlines Emergency Landing at PHL

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by SAFE4NOW, Apr 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Looking at the photos it appears that the leading edge slats were damaged from flying debris. Would be interested in seeing the fuselage, too. That fan case sure tore up the nacelle before it left.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That altitude graph shows it descending up to 3700 ft per min wow! That alone must have freaked out the pax.

3. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    ATC memes put a compilation (serious) of all the ATC coms who dealt with swa1380

Very sad there was one fatality, but it could have been much worse
    Gre by both pilots and controllers

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    To me it looks like the shattered window would have been several rows behind the expected route of the shrapnel from the engine.

5. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This whole thing restores faith that there are lots of good honest people doing the right thing everyday.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I agree with you completely!

7. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Aha! I was right. So just sitting in the plane of the compressor fan is not the only dangerous place to sit.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'm with you. It looks like the fan blade is not the only problem if it causes the entire fan case to disintegrate.

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I read once that the GE CFM was the most commonly used airliner engine... and one of the most reliable.
    SW has a great safety record.

12. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    That’s a flight idle descent in the 73...no big deal.

13. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    SWA maintenance is top notch. 4,000 flights a day...things are bound to happen. If anything, CFM has the issue. Uncontained failures are not supposed to happen...

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I always avoid seats adjacent to the fan blades, but that sure did not help the Wells Fargo lady from Albuquerque.

norcal2 and mike01606 like this.
  15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Metal fatigue in one of the fan blades in this CFM-56 engine is the likely culprit for the engine failure. SW is doing a rampant maintenance check on all it's CFM-56 engines.

16. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I don't avoid the seat by the blades but it always crossed my mind. Any idea how this entered the plane so much further back?

17. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Does this depressurization trigger and EDM response from the aircraft? Our jets have an EDM mode where loss of cabin pressure triggers the auto pilot to command a long spiral downturn to a safe altitude (breathable air) and automatically a EDM emergency squawk on the transponder. This is in case the pilots are not conscious.

This seemed more like a flight idle / controlled decent to nearest safe airport but I wonder if the loss of cabin pressure triggers automatic responses in the aircraft?

ATC seemed to just be aware of engine out/ engine fire?

I also noticed the pilot asked for a single frequency but still had to change frequencies a few times to get on the ground.

EDM= emergency decent mode.

18. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    first fatality in US commercial aviation in almost a decade (February 2009). that's incredible.

19. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  20. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    It looks like the missing blade is located at the NTSB inspector's right elbow. Also, the next adjacent blade appears to have a bend in it.

21. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    No, we do not have that on our planes.

thecarreaper likes this.
  22. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    What is interesting is that the blade that left went forward a lot more than is typical before it exited the engine. Note that the fan containment ring that is supposed to catch the blade is still there, the blade went forward as opposed to going radially outward. Considering the blade centrifugal forces you would expect it to go radially outward, but it obviously missed the containment ring. We had a similar thing occur when developing an engine at Pratt back in the 70's. In that case a "stub" stage (LP supercharging stage behind the fan), failed and went forward, around the splitter between the fan and core flow, and then went down the fan duct. The engine started vibrating so we shut it down and the blade was missing, lost it at the root.. We had always assumed that if we lost a blade in that stage it would have gone down the core and destroyed the core, but that isn't what happened. There's a lot of forward force on a fan blade and depending on how it lets go it can twist and obviously "fly" forward more than you would think. Once it got ahead of the containment ring, there wasn't much to slow it down. After it damaged the cowl, the cowl got torn up due to the force of the slipstream. When testing engines for containment, you have do demonstrate that you contain the blade. This is typically done by pre drilling a blade root or disk lug and then using a heater or other means to fail the attachment. Invariably the blade goes pretty much radially although the containment ring does extend a distance ahead of the blade to account for the tendency of the blade to "fly" forward. This failure is different than any that I've seen in that the blade went a lot further forward than is typical of a fan blade failure.

jcurry likes this.
  23. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Not equipped with that.

thecarreaper likes this.
  24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I don't understand it either. The fan itself is otherwise undamaged, as is probably the rest of the engine. Maybe the containment blankets will have to be extended to the front of the cowls.

25. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

First one in SW history.

GuyIncognito likes this.